Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2014, 08:56 PM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
My 2001 Alpine also sits tail low even after I set ride height, I think it is just the nature of the beast.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #30

Final follow-up: adjustable linkages in and made front ride height adjustment easy. If you need more adjustment than the small amount the valve will allow, here is an easy and relatively inexpensive solution.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Perhaps this should go under a new thread RIDE HEIGHT, but with the questions asked here, thought I would update my findings.

Ride height rod length really depends on where the ride height valve is located (how high on the frame rail they mounted it. And, no reason it should/is the same side to side, as only the frame rail to axle dimension (the ride height dimension) is critical.

On our 2003 38' I took some measurements this morning:

Left front ride height: 11 1/2". Rod length (pin to pin): 8 1/4"
Right front ride height: 11". Rod length (pin to pin): 11 5/16"
Both are standard 1/4" bolts at both ends.

Could not lower either side to spec (10 5/16") by adjusting the ride height valve (the 5/16" nut that connects the ride height valve to the arm to which the rod attaches).
And, re-drilling the lower rod mound will only give you about another half inch-- not enough lower to bring either side into specs.

The good news: different length ride height rods are available and reasonably priced.

Here are a variety of fixed length rods:
https://www.heightcontrolvalve.com/s...Length+Linkage

And the same company has adjustable length rods in two sizes (9-15") and 15-26". Here is the shorter one: https://www.heightcontrolvalve.com/shopexd.asp?id=109

Remember, ride height is critical in front, as change in ride height changes CASTER on our "trailing arm" design suspensions which can cause the coach to pull to one side. In my case, with the left front side ride height quite a lot higher than the right side, left side caster is greater and the coach pulls mildly to the right. Caster should always be a little more on right than left front to compensate for the crown in the road.

And, in back, out of spec ride hight can accelerate U joint and transmission output shaft and/or vibration.

Brett
2003 38' Alpine
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:27 AM   #31

Still curious as to why the OEM adjustment valve and rod will no longer allow the ride hieght to be brought into specs....."Assume" the coach was once in spec [at or after manufacture]--what has changed to not allow it now? I tend to resist after market solutions until I fully understand root cause[s] for the existing problem....are we missing something here?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:48 PM   #32

Since we are the second owner, I have no idea if the front ride height was over an inch high from the factory or became that way over time. The coach, including suspension shows no signs of damage, and only has 34,000 miles on it.

I doubt the original owner was under there measuring ride height.

And, my solution was the least invasive-- particularly compared with remounting the ride height valves by drilling new holes through the (very thick) beams.

Also, remember, as I posted earlier, the left and right rods were no where near the same length (and really no reason for them to be the same length as long as they had a wide range of rod lengths when they assembled the chassis). Bottom line is that the adjustment available at the ride height valve is very limited.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38'
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vibration