Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Here is the Information I obtained from WRV regarding the Ride Height and the Adjustment for the Alpine Coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Axle Ride Adustment.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	78472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Height Adjustment.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	78473  

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2014, 12:15 PM   #16

Great illustration Dave, something that I need to check. All I need to know now Dave,is where is the ride height control valve located?
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #17

Jim,

First a caution. If you are kind of skinny, you may have clearance under the coach with no air in the air bags. If you can't crawl under with the jacks stored and air bags deflated, you MUST air it up and use HD jack stands to keep you safe while you work on the ride height.

Once you are under there, you will have no problem seeing the 4 (one for each air bag) ride height valves/rods going down to the axle.

On the front, I find taking a 1' metal bar and vice grips as well as ruler and 11mm/7/16" wrench a help. Use the vice grips to lock the metal bar to the top plate above the front air bags. This is at exactly the same level as the bottom of the lower beam from which you are measuring. Mark a 1' ruler with the measurements before you go under-- your new Alpine ride height checking special tool.

Let us know your measurements-- I know on ours, ride height in back was perfect. In front, was over 3/4" high and not within the adjustment range of the arm/valve. I re-drilled the lower attachment point of the rod to allow adjustment within spec (I hope-- just did it today). If that doesn't get me down to spec, will try to locate a shorter rod-- should be easier than wallowing the frame rail to allow adjustment of the ride height valve.

With our left front higher than the right, and it's induced extra caster on left side, the coach pulled to the right. Will see what affect it has on Monday when we are back on the road.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FD
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Jim,

First a caution. If you are kind of skinny, you may have clearance under the coach with no air in the air bags. If you can't crawl under with the jacks stored and air bags deflated, you MUST air it up and use HD jack stands to keep you safe while you work on the ride height.

Once you are under there, you will have no problem seeing the 4 (one for each air bag) ride height valves/rods going down to the axle.

On the front, I find taking a 1' metal bar and vice grips as well as ruler and 11mm/7/16" wrench a help. Use the vice grips to lock the metal bar to the top plate above the front air bags. This is at exactly the same level as the bottom of the lower beam from which you are measuring. Mark a 1' ruler with the measurements before you go under-- your new Alpine ride height checking special tool.

Let us know your measurements-- I know on ours, ride height in back was perfect. In front, was over 3/4" high and not within the adjustment range of the arm/valve. I re-drilled the lower attachment point of the rod to allow adjustment within spec (I hope-- just did it today). If that doesn't get me down to spec, will try to locate a shorter rod-- should be easier than wallowing the frame rail to allow adjustment of the ride height valve.

With our left front higher than the right, and it's induced extra caster on left side, the coach pulled to the right. Will see what affect it has on Monday when we are back on the road.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FD
Thanks Brett. I'm heading out of town for a few days and I'll post what my ride height is when I get back if I can get my not so skinny self under the coach.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Jim,

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FD
Should the ride height be set with the air bags pumped up?
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule Skinner View Post
Should the ride height be set with the air bags pumped up?
Absolutely. Engine does not have to be running, but air system pressure MUST be 100 PSI minimum.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #21

I may check this on the alpine coach I just bought.

My vibration isn't under full load but rather when I'm holding mid throttle at lower speeds ie: 25-45 mph.

any suggestions on that one?

I will give the u-joints a look

aaron
a johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #22

Thanks all the great information. My ride height in front is 10 1/2 decided for now to leave it alone because the spec is 10 5/16. They are both the same. Now the problem rear from bottom frame member to middle of weld on rear diff is pass side 7 1/2 good driver side 6 3/4 bad. Cannot get extra 3/4 " without redrilling air leveler screws in frame. Going to try it after church. Wish me luck. Thanks again mfor all the information. Mike
MIKE JANGAAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:07 PM   #23

Perhaps this should go under a new thread RIDE HEIGHT, but with the questions asked here, thought I would update my findings.

Ride height rod length really depends on where the ride height valve is located (how high on the frame rail they mounted it. And, no reason it should/is the same side to side, as only the frame rail to axle dimension (the ride height dimension) is critical.

On our 2003 38' I took some measurements this morning:

Left front ride height: 11 1/2". Rod length (pin to pin): 8 1/4"
Right front ride height: 11". Rod length (pin to pin): 11 5/16"
Both are standard 1/4" bolts at both ends.

Could not lower either side to spec (10 5/16") by adjusting the ride height valve (the 5/16" nut that connects the ride height valve to the arm to which the rod attaches).
And, re-drilling the lower rod mound will only give you about another half inch-- not enough lower to bring either side into specs.

The good news: different length ride height rods are available and reasonably priced.

Here are a variety of fixed length rods:
https://www.heightcontrolvalve.com/s...Length+Linkage

And the same company has adjustable length rods in two sizes (9-15") and 15-26". Here is the shorter one: https://www.heightcontrolvalve.com/shopexd.asp?id=109

Remember, ride height is critical in front, as change in ride height changes CASTER on our "trailing arm" design suspensions which can cause the coach to pull to one side. In my case, with the left front side ride height quite a lot higher than the right side, left side caster is greater and the coach pulls mildly to the right. Caster should always be a little more on right than left front to compensate for the crown in the road.

And, in back, out of spec ride hight can accelerate U joint and transmission output shaft and/or vibration.

Brett
2003 38' Alpine
Old 11-11-2014, 07:18 PM   #24

Decided to chk my ride heights based on this thread--found the rear bags about 1/2 inch low. Really couldn't decipher which way to adjust the valves to acheive the increase in height [lengthen the lever I guess] but do suggest that you dump and re-fill the bags to confirm your new ride height, based on your adjustment.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:22 PM   #25

To raise ride height, loosen the adjusting nut with 7/16" or 11mm wrench and push the control arm UP (the hole in the control arm is slotted and loosening the nut allows this movement). With air pressure up, you will be able to see and measure this change.

Again, I found it easier to use a pair of vice grips to fasten a flat metal bar to the top of the air bag mounting plate. It is at the exact same level as the bottom of the frame rail and makes it easier to use one hand to hold a ruler (with mark on a piece of tape showing correct ride height) and the other hand to push the control arm up and down. This is not needed in the back, as it is easy to measure from bottom of frame rail to center line weld of the rear axle (the air bag is not in the way).

Brett
2003 Alpine 38'
Old 11-12-2014, 05:53 AM   #26

Buying a longer control rod sounds like a good solution if you are out of adjustment space on the valve arm. Curious as to why the OEM arm is no longer capable of allowing the proper adjmt for some coaches? Wonder if air bag fatigue/age is a factor [ie bag sidewalls going out, not up?????]
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:56 AM   #27

Old Scout,

No, the bag should really have nothing to do with it. Were there an issue with the bag, the ride height valve would just keep adding air if it sensed ride height too low.

At least in our case (second owner), I have no idea if the ride height was out at the factory or occurred later. The ride height rod is not that strong, and road debris can easily bend them-- not the case on ours, they showed no sign of damage.

The amount of adjustment at the valve is limited. And, with the offering of both different length and totally adjustable rods, suspect this may be a more widespread issue (improper ride height) than many of us suspect.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:36 PM   #28

Here's another question regarding ride height. I've noticed that even though our '06 36' FDTS is set exactly to WRV's specifications it sits at a slight tail low attitude. I have never actually measured the floor line trim strip, but probably should one day to see just how unlevel it might be. Through years while attending events with a large Alpine attendance, such as Desert Rat, I have observed quite a few coaches with this tail low condition. Could this just be the nature of the beast when set to factory ride height specs? Does anyone have any other thoughts on the subject as to whether or not this is a common/normal situation?
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vibration