Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:17 AM   #1

Video Cabling

I am beginning the process of upgrading my audio/video. The coach has the original analog tv,s. It also has Hughes Internet satellite that I will be removing. I have traced out all of the eleven coax cables that are located in the driver side overhead cabinet and found where 9 of the 11 go. I know this is a long shot but I was hoping someone might give me an idea where the other two go.

3 cables go from the left ovh'd cabinet to the right ovh'd cabinet.
1 cable goes to the bedroom tv.
1 cable goes to the passenger side storage bay for an outside tv.
1 cable goes to the water and sewer bay.
2 cables go to the king dome.
1 cable goes to roof antenna.

The other two cables I can't find there termination. These two cables have what look likes factory identification. One has a purple band wrapped around the end of the cable and the other cable has a green band. The cable with the green band has no connection fitting. Three other cables have these bands and I have located there termination points. They are black, red and blue. The blue banded cable goes to the bedroom tv. The red banded cable goes to the water and sewer bay. The black banded cable goes to the passenger side storage bay for an outside tv.

As I said i know this is a long shot and any help is appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2015, 08:29 AM   #2

Rick,

I copied this from an earlier post here on the forum-- I have not vetted it:

AV system: Applies to 2006:
From Portable satellite - Purple
From Roof satellite - Green
Over air antenna - White
Cable - Red
To outside TV - Black
To bedroom TV - Blue

Old 10-12-2015, 08:46 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Video Cabling

Rrthor,

In my 2005 there is a cable that goes to the passenger bay to connect an external sat dish (look next to the "f" connector for the external TV, you will see a connector with a cap on it) that MIGHT be your purple cable and would appear to agree with Wolfe10's list, I would tone it out. If the other one has no connector I would not worry about it, WRV put extra cables in the harnesses (just look in the cabinet with all your controls, you will find lots of excess cable and several "spares"). The King Dome has a connection for a second receiver, WRV might have included a cable for it in case you wanted to add a second receiver, like for the bedroom.

On another note, If you go to the bedroom you will see a small device mounted on the wall (ours is red and under the TV, about the size of a dime) it is a receiver that relays the IR remote control signal to the A/V cabinet, so you could change the sat channel from the bedroom, I never found the corresponding transmitter in the front cabinet, but I did find the transformer buried in the wall of the passenger side cabinet (next to the door, I had to cut a hole in the wall to get to it) when I followed the power cable. I disconnected the power and left it in place since we do not connect the sat input to the TV in the bedroom.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:31 AM   #4

You guys are so awesome. Thanks so much.

DrDave - I found the IR controller. It was mounted behind the front tv. It is pictured below. The Xantrex AGS was also located there which was a relief to find since I am preping to replace my inverter with a Magnum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IR.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	109443  
Old 10-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
You have a year newer coach than mine, so we need someone with a 2006 to confirm, but that does not look to me like a "standard" WRV part, maybe the PO installed it?

Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
Old 10-12-2015, 10:37 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Rick,

Just curious why you have an IR controller? Didn't you say you had Silverleaf but don't have a way to control systems with the front TV and Silverleaf remote? Since you have an IR controller, there must be a way to switch the TV over to S-video to view and operate the slides, jacks etc.
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:42 AM   #7

Dave - That is possible. Below is a picture of where it was located. The device to the right of it is the Xantrex AGS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
You have a year newer coach than mine, so we need someone with a 2006 to confirm, but that does not look to me like a "standard" WRV part, maybe the PO installed it?

Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IR2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	109445  
Old 10-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #8

Todd - the Silverleaf on a 2006 limited is only a monitoring device. There is no user input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet and Todd View Post
Rick,

Just curious why you have an IR controller? Didn't you say you had Silverleaf but don't have a way to control systems with the front TV and Silverleaf remote? Since you have an IR controller, there must be a way to switch the TV over to S-video to view and operate the slides, jacks etc.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Then there wouldn't be a need for the IR controller.
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:22 PM   #10

I believe the purpose of the IR controller was to give the ability to the previous owner to control everything connected to the IR controller with one remote from anywhere in the coach. The IR controller had three IR remotes connected to it. One at the front tv, one at the rear tv and one at the dvd player. This controller had nothing to do with anything except the audio/visual.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:19 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Video Cabling

Rick,

In 2006 our bedroom TV failed, I replaced it with a LED from Phillips (WRV was going to replace it with another crt,)😝. Below you can see the IR sensor I am referring to, it is connected to the front A/V bay on the passengers side.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1444673684.865550.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	109453 In 2005, WRV had not implemented the Silverleaf system, it looks like they were starting to in 2006, but maybe did not connect all the inputs for the Limited that they did in the Apex, again someone with a 2006 can tell us for sure. By the way, WRV might not have installed the complete IR system in my coach, I was never able to find the rest of the system. My coach came off the manufacturing line in September 2004.

Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
Old 10-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Video Cabling

Rick,

Here is a picture of the connector I have in the basement passenger bay. The first is the AC for the vacuum system and a spare. Next is the 12 volt DC connector with a "f" connector for the TV. The third is the connector for the external satellite dish (has a screw on cap). Hope this helps you.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1444674496.532586.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	109454 Sorry the picture is not good, I installed a tube (the green circle at the bottom of the pic, it is 6" sewer pipe bolted to the frame) that holds my windshield sunscreen and my 7' folding ladder, they block the picture. Oh yeah, the dust in the picture is from our trip to Alaska last year, I am still finding spots I missed when I cleaned the coach.

Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
Old 10-12-2015, 01:46 PM   #13

Dave - Thanks for taking the time and the picture. I removed the 12v/f connector plate and there is no coax in that box. The silver plate with cap I have identified. It terminates with all the others up in the upper cabinet on the driver side and is marked with a black band.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:04 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Video Cabling

Rick,

Have you toned the cable, I would check it, WRV could have placed 2cables there but only terminated 1, the color indicates the bay only!

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1444676478.263584.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	109457

Here is a picture of my drivers A/V bay, if it helps. I have had that bay open several times, it is a rats nest even after I straightened it out, as you have already found out. If I were you I would design the system you want and wire it that way. There is access between both A/V bays and the TV opening. I replaced my Sharpe HD LED TV with a Sony. The grille under the TV is a bit small but I used it anyway, no one sees it unless I point it out.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1444676450.162127.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	109456

We have a blue ray player as well as the satellite receiver above the passengers side.

Dave, Bobbi and Fenway