Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2010, 06:14 AM   #1

Visiting Kitty Hawk?

I would like to see Kitty Hawk on my way south from New England to winter home in Texas. Anyone been there, and, if so, where did you park? Any recommended campgrounds nearby?
Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We were there a few months ago. Loved kicking around the outer banks and seeing Kitty Hawk. We stayed on the mainland at RV Park Reviews :: Shawboro, North Carolina ( NC ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

North River Campground was very nice, extremely quiet and all sites are waterfront around a little fishing lake. Probably a 20 min drive to OBX.

Have fun...

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #3

Thanks Rick. With your big rig, what roads did you take out to the campground and back to the interstate?
Old 08-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
We were just there in July. The Wright Bros. Memorial parking facilities has specific space for RV parling but NOT for overnights.

We parked overnight at the local Wal-Mart which was interesting in that signs are posted around the parking lot declaring no overnight parking. The Wal-Mart management doesn't care if you park there overnight and the county actually posted the signs. They declared that there has not been any problems with RV overnight parking in the lot. In fact, the parkiing lot looked like a campground by morning with all the trailers, 5th wheels, & motorhomes.

Hope this was helpful.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I lived there for 10 years and folks have been parking at WalMart and KMart without anyporblme with the local police. Just don't park in the beach access parking lots over night. Some get away with it, but you could get ticketed. The Outer Banks tries to make sure everyone has a good time and don't go out of thier way to cause any problems for guest. The signs at WalMart were put up to keep the veh.s for sale off the lot which didn't work either......Happy Trails..
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, I don't remember the specific roads I took to and from the campground, but it's really not an issue. The last mile or so is a narrow road and if you met another coach I guess you'd both have to slow down but it's not a concern.

BTW, if you were to say drive your 4x4 toad out on to the beach while in OBX.... be sure to "air down" your tires to about 22lbs or you'll be the most embarrassed son of a gun on the beach. Go ahead, ask me how I know.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:58 PM   #7

Was there a couple of years ago, came in on 12 from the North then to South end of Hatteras & stayed @ Hatteras Sands RV Park (Good Sam Park) in Hatteras Village. When we left, took MH on the “Free Ferry” to Ocracoke Island, then onto the “toll ferry” ($25.00 MH & all) back to mainland & Swanquarter. From there we took 45 & 264 back East to I-95 via Greenville NC.
BTF
05 40FDQS
bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:38 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Warning - way off topic, but well worth mentioning. Well - I guess some of you have hit my hot button. I am concerned, that many of us do not support the owners of campgrounds like we should. First, here is why!!

1. In this economy, it's important we support the people who provide us places to park and camp our rigs in each time we can. Now I'm not talking about dedicated boondocking that is a whole nother issue. I am talking about folks who have spent their savings, and worked like dogs building up a business, which many here choose to ignore, especially at this time when the campground owners need us the most.

If you want the RV lifestyle to continue, I wholeheartedly suggest you stop staying at Wal-Mart (who don't need your money) and support those businesses sourly dedicated to our lifestyle. If we don't, one day and maybe soon, those same campground owners will not be there.

Additionally, city and county's all across the country are trying too and have passed ordinances prohibiting RV's from camping in Wal-marts and other public areas. The local citizens feel it's an eyesore. Many of those same city's and county's have spent lots of money building up local RV parks which are not all that costly to provide you with a great place to overnight, or spend a few days. One that comes to mind is the Heyburn, ID County Park, alongside the banks of the Snake River. A very pretty river and a nice park, and it’s cost about 20 per night, quiet, and very peaceful.

Please give thought to all those park owners who might need your funds to just stay open, and who provide us places to camp.

Now I am off my soap box. And if you have not figured it out, I refuse to camp at Wal-Mart or even shop there unless it's the only place in town. I don't like the way they treat employees, and all that Chinese crap we are forced to purchase.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:23 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Refuge in Wancheese is a nice new park. It's only about 12 miles from Kitty Hawk and close to a lot of history in Maneto....Buy the way, can someone tell me where I can shop that doesn't sell Chinese crap?? Being from Arkansas and the home of WalMart I appreciate them and know a lot more folks that work for them that are happy then ones who are not...enough said....Happy Trails.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #10

Wancheese looks good. Any comments on hwy 64 getting there, bridges, etc. Pardon my ignorance but never, ever been in that part of the country.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You will not have any problem at all with the traffic. Good run in on 64. Bridge is brand new 4 lane divided and wide. You won't need it, but the rest area right as you get there has a very nice dump station for anyone who is going to stay at the Fed. parks...Happy Trails...Any questions just pm me...
Old 08-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #12

Many years ago stayed at the Hatteras Village campground and don't remember any bad memories except for the mosquitos when wind not blowing. Also, highly recommend the ferries (beautiful coastal scenery) south and a night or two in Emerald Isle, NC. Great seafood restaurants in Beaufort, try "Tony's Sanitary Seafood Market" for great regional fare. From there easy drive to Wilmington, NC and Myrtle Beach. Can pick up I-20 near there in Florence, SC and off you go to Texas.