RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:21 PM   #1

VMM and PDM in action

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0940.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	158141

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0945.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	158142

VMM and PDM interfacing, tried to post a video but I'm too technically challenged. Huge file.

Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2017, 09:08 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My plan is to purchase 4 of the vmm 2820 once we get our coach.this will give me a few extra and if someone needs one quick they won't have to go through the ordeal of the order. I would make them available for cost as long as it was replaced later.
From what I understand we can program these ourselves with a 13 step process correct?
It just seems silly that each one of us has to jump through all those hoops in a time of what I'll call emergency if we need one.
Would it be wise to carry extra pdm also or just what is the failure rate on those?

TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #3

Yes you can program 2820 yourself. 2820's are programmed differently for different Alpines. If you were to purchase spares, my suggestion would be to only program one spare for your coach.

PDM is not programmed. From what I have seen on the forum there are more problems with the 2820 than the PDM. Sometimes you could have a short causing the problem, in which case a spare PDM would not help. If you have a problem with a circuit on the PDM you can pull power off power stud and fuse it and power the circuit. By pass PDM for one circuit. IF you had a spare, it would be easier to plug in.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I believe the front and back are programmed the same so if I had one (2820) ready for my coach I could then have 3 from the Alpine family if needed unprogramed for much quicker turn around.
It just seems if somehow these become unavailable we are in a hard spot.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:54 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
I believe the front and back are programmed the same so if I had one (2820) ready for my coach I could then have 3 from the Alpine family if needed unprogramed for much quicker turn around.
It just seems if somehow these become unavailable we are in a hard spot.
Good idea!!! I was going to buy 2, but when Bob at JCA said that so far Vansco was still producing them, I didn't. Wish I had gotten 2 now and like you said, let the forum know and it could get someone out of a sticky situation instead of their coach being out of commission for as much as 2 weeks - if they have the item in stock. When I just purchased mine, they had 5 on the shelf. Now there are 4.

This forum rocks!
2004 36MDDS #74920
Poulsbo, WA
Lynn Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I pick up our "new to us" Alpine next Tuesday and will be home a week later.
I then plan to start the process of ordering these things.
I don't give a rats tail about a price break if I get 4.
I care about us looking out for each other, these are great coaches, but no one else is going to figure it out for us.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:48 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Spare VMMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
I pick up our "new to us" Alpine next Tuesday and will be home a week later.
I then plan to start the process of ordering these things.
I don't give a rats tail about a price break if I get 4.
I care about us looking out for each other, these are great coaches, but no one else is going to figure it out for us.
Very True TMan. I'll post to forum when I get a spare and a fellow Alpiner in need can "borrow" it. Just so they get one to send to me as payback. Just don't program the spares to your coach as they won't work on someone else's! Thanks for looking out for fellow Alpiners!!
2004 36MDDS #74920
Poulsbo, WA
Old 04-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #8

Hey all,

I also have a spare VMM that I would be willing to loan out. It might be helpful to give our location so others would know we have them available. Maybe we could get it as a sticky on all of the ACA sites. Something like:

Terry W has one already programmed in So Cal, will overnight to your location, blah, blah!!

I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe they are programmed differently. If somebody has please let me know. I read somewhere, I'll try to dig it up, that if you think you have a bad one borrow from a fellow Alpiner. You can use his to test or program yours. The only exception that I can think of might be an Apex!?!? Thoughts???

I used my good rear to program my new front. Also one of the troubleshooting tips is to swap them from front to rear to see if the problem follows.

The programming is a piece of cake, I followed it to the letter and all went well. A couple of other guys have done theirs with good results. You can program one without removing yours, the leads will reach.

The ability to program one from another is one of Vansco's selling points. Ability to field program in the "unlikely" event of a failure. I'm sure this is a good thing for the bus industry and also for heavy equipment etc.

One thing I did notice is that I had a couple of things that worked differently, correctly?, after I installed my new VMM.

As for the PDM I believe I read of one failure on here, but I can't remember for sure. The VMMs aren't a high failure item, probably no worse than anything else on the coach. They're just such a PITA to get. I can't figure out why I can get a hyd pump from England in 4 days with a credit card and not one of these the same way.

I'm open to whatever we can come up with for a loaner program. The more of us willing to loan, the quicker we can help somebody. I carry my spares with me, so I could ship from wherever I am.

I have been wondering if repairs could be made to a bad unit???

One last thing, if you remove your front unit you can change the bolts and turn them around so that the nuts are inside the coach. I got full thread longer bolts and double nutted then at the firewall so I can remove the VMM by myself. I now have to remove 4 nuts from inside, 15 minutes now, it was a real time consuming one man job before.

I'm open to thoughts and suggestions, I feel like O'Reillys, free loaner tools.

Terry
Old 04-15-2017, 09:19 AM   #9

One more thing.

Lynn, do you need to borrow one to get your MH out of the shop and get home. I have forgotten if you're home or out on the road??

Terry
Old 04-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
VMM and PDM in action

Terry, it would be great to know if they can be programmed ahead of time, if in fact they are all the same program.
Has that been confirmed?
I am in the PNW and great idea to show region.

Thank you Lynn and Terry!

Sent from my SM-G935V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 04-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #11

All,

FWIW, I just went back to the original looong thread from when two or three of us were having VMM issues.

According to Engineer Mike there are in fact a few different programs based on year. He says the 04 are different than 05 and changed again a little later. There are also some differences in the harnesses.

With that news I guess we will have to have to know which year and version we are loaning out, which one is needed and how to identify the unit you are in need of. I guess we can check ours for numbers etc.

One thing is that they are only selling one VMM, the 2820. I don't believe they ask for coach year or any other information, we all get the same unit. That said, I might have one that is specific to a number of 05s but not for 04s or 06s etc. I programmed my spare and it will work in mine and probably a lot of others but not for everyone!?!? For a loaner situation I may have been smarter to leave it blank?? Just a thought.

Looks like we'll have to do some version verification of sorts. Maybe some of the factory tag info will tell us something?

I took my MH back to storage but Ill try and get by there and check numbers etc. I'll also see what I can find on my brothers, new to him, 05. His is several months later in the production run than mine.

Terry
Old 04-15-2017, 12:20 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
One more thing.

Lynn, do you need to borrow one to get your MH out of the shop and get home. I have forgotten if you're home or out on the road??

Terry
Terry,

I am at Cummins in Coburg, OR, but I have my toad and I in fact was just checking emails before I head out to Eastern WA for Easter and then onto Poulsbo for a week or so. When Cummins gets my VMM in ???? days, they will install and program and give me a call when it's ready. (I have lots of couches I can surf while waiting!) So I'm okay.

I too remembered about the programs being different for different coaches and that is why I suggested the spare VMMs be left blank. I've read the plug and play instructions and it didn't sound like it took very long for the two to trade info, that the time consuming part was uninstalling and installing the VMMs due to the bolt situation. I will be using your method for bolting once I get the coach home!!!

Thanks all for the support!!!
2004 36MDDS #74920
Poulsbo, WA
Old 04-24-2017, 10:46 PM   #13

Here's what I know about the programming:
2004 was the 1st model year w/the multiplexing, and its program is localized to that model year run.
2005 coaches have Actia dash gauges which are on the multiplexed circuit, and therefore have different programming. I have a 2008 rig w/same program as 2005, 2006, 2007. I've never spelunked my way around an 09 but I'm betting no changes. However, on my rig there are less inputs to the rear VMM by 3 wires due to additional items being multiplexed; WRV eliminated the wires in the loom but continued to order the VMMs w/same program likely to save money reprogramming.

What I can't say is whether Avalanche rigs are the same. There were 2004 and 2005 model year Avalanches and they may all be 2004 or they may all be 2005 or they may all be Avalanche programming. I'm betting they are 2005 programming because Avalanches I've encountered all had Actia gauges, and I've never lost a bet
Also on the Actia gauges, the option of whether the rig reports as a Ltd (or SE) vs an Avalanche is user-selectable, meaning the wiring has to be the same to the gauges or at least to the master gauge.
If it was necessary, I could determine if an Avalanche in question had 2004 vs 2005 vs Avalanche programming by the naming conventions of the wires on the pigtails; if the inputs & outputs are the same as a known programming standard, then Voila!, and if different then Voila-Avalanche!