Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:17 PM   #1

Well, I downloaded the Silverleaf VMSpc software and manual. I'm impressed! I've decided to order the cable and look for a suitable laptop.

On the cable, does anyone know which connector an 04 uses? (just to save me the effort of looking)

I'm considering different approaches to the laptop and display, but thinking that a laptop with a swivel display would work nicely, sitting on the dash above the vents/ac controls.

The Fujitsu 1500 seems like a good choice for a small, somewhat inexpensive laptop, that can serve as a cellular/wireless internet access device.

Thanks !

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2006, 05:17 PM   #2

Well, I downloaded the Silverleaf VMSpc software and manual. I'm impressed! I've decided to order the cable and look for a suitable laptop.

On the cable, does anyone know which connector an 04 uses? (just to save me the effort of looking)

I'm considering different approaches to the laptop and display, but thinking that a laptop with a swivel display would work nicely, sitting on the dash above the vents/ac controls.

The Fujitsu 1500 seems like a good choice for a small, somewhat inexpensive laptop, that can serve as a cellular/wireless internet access device.

Thanks !

Old 10-18-2006, 07:34 AM   #3

Your coach uses the 9 pin connector. PM me for more info.

Danny

2000 Alpine Millennium Edition
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:59 PM   #4

Danny,

thank you so much for the info and the discount on the cable.

One more question, where is the connector?
Old 10-19-2006, 09:15 PM   #5

It should be under the dash next to the transmission diagnostic port. Mine is next to my right leg.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:18 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,

If you are looking for the 9 pin terminal on the coach(engines comm port, if it is in the same place as our 2000's) it is about where your right knee would hit the dash if you slid forward on the seat, maybe just a bit below. It should have a cap (maybe grey) on it.

Oops danny beat me to the "right knee"

Hope that helps.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:32 AM   #7

On my previous late 2000 and my 05 the port is behind the 1st interior panel on the firewall next to the front door.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:42 AM   #8

Thanks everyone!

I'll start with my knee and work towards the door until I find it.

Looking forward to trying this out on a laptop, along with Microsoft Streets & Trips, a GPS software package with receiver for less than $100.

Somewhat skeptical that the laptop GPS interface will be convenient as my dedicated Garmin GPS, but the prospect of a larger laptop display for GPS and splitting the screen with engine parameters is attractive. Saw this done on the Silverleaf site.

Found a very light 6" X 9" laptop (Fujitsu 1510) witht a swiveling display that should sit nicely on the console (velcro) and offer a good view of the display. I'll try to post the pic.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:46 AM   #9

Jim & Mary Jo, I am most interested in the small unit you found with a swiveling display. Please keep us posted.

Thank you.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:10 PM   #10

Hi Ted,

I posted a pic in the photo section, but was again unable to attach to my post; can't seem to get the properties thru a right click?

ANyway, www.computers.us.fujitsu.com is the site. Click on "tablets" and look for the model P1500/1510 series for pics and specs.

Picked mine up today (P1500D). It is slightly larger than a DVD movie case (~1" deeper, 1.5" wider). Specs say it weighs 2.2 lbs with the battery.

It has received positive reviews (PC Mag) and seems to be well built. The display swivel is sturdy and I think it will hold its position even with bumpy roads. I think it's light enough to secure to the dash with a little velcro to keep it from sliding around.

I plan to run power thru the 12vdc outlet and an adapter.

It has a type 2 CF slot, which I plan to use for a cingular "air card" for cellular/internet service ($50--after rebate-- for the card and $60/month for the service).

It does not come with a CD drive. A typical external USB drive can be purchased, but I'm planning to use a network connection to load my software and don't figure I'll need a drive afterwards.

The keyboard is about "80%" the size of normal and the display is inevitably smaller and harder to read small text.

FOr the short time I've played with it, I think it's a pretty good small laptop for my purposes as a VMSpc display, maybe GPS display and a small internet access device. I'd give it a thumbs up...
Old 10-23-2006, 04:05 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Jim,

Just thought I would let you know that we use the Microsoft Streets & Trips w/ GPS. I have used Streets & Trips for planning our travel routes for several years, so am very comfortable using it. So, anal as I am, I plan our trip before departure (including all RV parks along the way), and now that I have the GPS part, too, I really like the way it leads us right to the RV parks we have selected. I will admit that it is not always spot on, but most of the time it gets us right to the driveway...if the park is in the software. If the park isn't in the software, I enter the street address, and that works well, too.

Hope you enjoy your new setup...sounds great!
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:21 PM   #12

Thanks!

I bought the 2007 version today, mostly because it advertised a new navigation screen (didn't like the old one much) and a GPS reciever "10 times as sensitive". It was on sale for $100.

So far, so good. The new receiver is much better. Whether the new nav screen is as simple (or at least close) as my Garmin GPS, remains to be seen.

I really like the software too and hope it will be easy to use while driving.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:57 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,

You just need to train Mary Jo...that's what John did...he trained me to use the software. Just kidding actually...I am the computer person in the family. John doesn't know how to turn a computer on.

Seriously, it is easier to have the passenger operating the system, especially if you want to make any adjustments along the way. The only complaint we have with the software is that there is not much volume when the voice is telling you where to turn, etc.

Safe travels!
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:50 AM   #14

I added the picture to jim's post.

Danny