Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
W/c drain problem

40' Alpine W/C drain clogging to black tank
We have a 2003 FDTS40 Alpine. The W/C abs train to the black water holding tank has a 3" drain that has an approximate 2" offset "S" bend into the tank that appears to stop only 2-3" above the bottom of the tank. The paper clogs here very easily.
Does anyone know if the lower end of the 3" "S" can be cut off?? It appears to be inside the tank. ie, below the top of the tank.
Is there another solution to the problem?
NOTE:
The "S" was required by the rear side of the holding tank being located slightly forward of the W/C drain location and it is apparently from the factory.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #2

I relocated my toilet and cut off the original connection to the holding tank about 2" above the tank. I then used a flexible rubber connector to attach the new drain pipe.
Make sure you use a septic safe toilet paper and use a lot of water when you flush.

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:35 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Alpine w/c problem

Thanks...Your answer is what I was looking for.

How do you get at that pipe? It looks like the frame and bulkheads surround it. If I empty each side storage compartment in front of the tank, maybe I can reach thru? The left adjacent compartment door is for the water and tank drains etc...There is a removeable 18"x18" panel high centered front to rear that may help too.

Did you drop the tank? I hope not!
It may be possible to cut the existing pipe from the inside but there still is the slight problem of installing the new with coupling???

I do have an eight year old Great Grand son that might fit thru and he is good with his hands...and mind.

We are leaving in the morning until Jan 25th with the coach. I may have time to look it over more closely.
Thanks Again Ray Jeske...Trainstop2
Old 01-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #4

On the 36 there is a panel between the rear basement door and the rear wheel arch that can be removed. Behind this sits both holding tanks. The photo shows the toilet drain (white) and the rubber connector. I did forget that when I cut the pipe it was 2" above the bend not the tank. So in my case I didn't have to drop the tank (not possible anyway) or find a midget to climb in there. I thought the 40 was similar but I could be wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0837.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	53837  
Old 01-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
To remove the panel in front of the holding tanks, there are two small bolts on the bottom of the panel (underneath side of the coach) that hold the panel in place. Just remove the bolts and you can open the panel. The panel can be removed completely, but I usually just prop it up with a stick. To remove the panel completely, lift it up to approximately level, then push toward the coach and it should separate from the hinge channel. Just be careful not to drop the panel and damage it.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Just one more note, ditto what Algoma said regarding using septic safe toilet paper and a LOT of water when you flush. When we purchased our coach, the toilet drain line was completely clogged with heavy paper, etc. (YUCK!). It took a lot of work to finally get all the clogging material out of the drain pipe. There was also a pretty large build up of waste below where the toilet drains into the holding tank. This probably occurred if the former owner left the holding tank drain valve open all the time instead of allowing the contents to build up to fairly full, and then draining it. I used several methods including blasting pressurized water into the tank to finally remove the build up. Since then, we haven't had any problems. So, I believe that if you make sure there isn't a build up of waste materials below the drain line in the holding tank, and that you use good disolvable toilet paper and plenty of water when you flush, your "proposed fix' may not be necessary.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #7

Also it's a good idea to put some water into the tank before you hit the road. Can't beat a good "sloshing" to remove some of that build up.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:18 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Thank God, mine is a straight drop and has a half sweep to the side so nothing builds up in the bottom. This particular system has worked perfectly since we bought the coach, and we use Costco brand toilet paper with never an issue. We don't normally dump the black tank until there is only 10 gallons of capacity left, and I use the tank flush system every time for at least 8 minutes. WRV might not have installed the electric dump valves with enough angle, but flushing it that long has prevented any trouble. Very cold weather has caused me to open the dump valve manually once, but it closed fine after that, and has worked since. I am considering taking them apart, cleaning them, increasing the angle, and using some "O-ring and valve lubricant on the valve" so it work better. That project is if I don't sell the coach, which is my goal once I am home from this trip.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks everyone. Just got back from a two week trip both of us with colds.
I have a pressure hose attachment with a shut off and a spinning head on a flex shaft that helped remove the previous owners buildup. Using lots of water to flush we had no problems on the trip. When feeling better I will survey the problems of correcting it verses living with it.
THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE
Ray...Trainstop2