Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
Wandering couch on the road.

I've done a lot of improvements on my '99 36ft. MDS in the last 6 months especially right after the FMCA rally in Pomona.New shocks,new Michelin tires,Henderson motion controls,new master cylinder,safety steer, alignment,etc.I still get a left to right wandering on the highway even without a windy day.The only thing I haven't done yet is change the power steering hydraulic oil which I will do soon, my question is if there is an adjustment on the steering box to remove excessive play in the steering and if this could be part of my problem or could it be something else.Any input would be helpful.

Ramblin Pete
Los Banos Ca.

Ramblinpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2015, 02:15 PM   #2
Alpine Owners Club
Most roads have a "crown" in the center which affects the steering. You should verify that it stays straight while going through a large level parking lot like Walmart or similar that appears to be perfectly level.

If it doesn't drift right then it's just the crown. Otherwise, you may want to check the "camber(?)" on the front axle. I had my alignment performed by Redlands Truck & RV who used special shims on the axle to get the alignment correct.

Bob Bowers (Surprise, AZ)
2003 Alpine Coach 40' FDTS
2014 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:41 PM   #3
Assume you have a Sheppard steering box. Slack is not adjustable without rebuilding/blueprinting.

Have you verified ride height? Ride height in front affects CASTER and caster is important to proper tracking.

What tire pressure are you running?

2003 Alpine 38FDDS
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #4
Check your weights and adjust tire pressure accordingly from Michelin's tire chart. Mine wandered when I got it with the tires inflated to max. Corrected the pressure and now it's straight as an arrow.
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024
Pulling my 2012 Malibu w/Blue OX & Patriot brake unit
HicksRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
Does it pull all the time or just when another vehicle passes? All cars and trucks have different aerodynamics and affect other vehicles as they pass. Sometimes a car feels like it's pushing me but then a large truck can pass and I don't even notice a pull or push. If your new to driving a rv you may want to give it some time these things are still big boxes rolling down the highways it can take some time to get used to the way they handle.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:38 AM   #6
Alpine Owners Club
I bought an 2002 34' new from the dealer. The thing wandered all over the road. Checked the tire pressures. The service guys had inflated the tires backwards. You need 110 lbs in the front and 95 lbs in the back. My manual and the placards specified this pressure combination. No more wandering after going with the WRV instructions on front and rear pressures. I am on my 4th Alpine and all of them worked better using WRV's specification on pressures.
Hartsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:58 AM   #7

The WRV recommended tire pressures ASSUME each axle is loaded to its GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating). I would be very surprised if your 34' is even close to GAWR's.

Have you weighed the wheel positions (better) or axles when loaded as you travel?

2003 Alpine FDDS
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:15 AM   #8
These big wheeled boxes have poor aerodynamic characteristics that very hard to change. Our 32' Georgetown was real squirrelly and needed almost continual small corrections. It was real hard work.

I mentioned this to another A-gasser owner, and his recommendation was to let it wander some and only make corrections for bigger swerves. He also recommended tire pressure corrections.

I found that the wandering got less when the tires were inflated for the actual weight they were carrying, and minor deviations (a foot or so) were OK to leave alone. Travelling became a lot easier.

When I read the title, I thought you'd found some furniture on the roaad!
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:39 PM   #9
Check for ball joint wear on drag link & tie rod (if you meant coach).

My couch also wandered some & tipped if someone say right on the edge; it wasn't bolted to the floor. Bolted now, no more tipping.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:54 PM   #10
Yes Mike, was supposed to be coach, couch stays put where it's at (ha ha).

Ramblinpete is offline   Reply With Quote