Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-30-2005, 06:39 AM   #1

Has anyone added tint to the front door, driver window and Co Pilot window. If so, what kind and what tint. The sun in the South makes it so hot in the front of the Coach.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2005, 06:39 AM   #2

Has anyone added tint to the front door, driver window and Co Pilot window. If so, what kind and what tint. The sun in the South makes it so hot in the front of the Coach.

Old 08-30-2005, 07:13 AM   #3

Hi Cedar,

I've used "low-e" tint for good results.

But, check local laws for compliance. In my area, driver side windows cannot be tinted, but it doesn't get enforced if you choose a light tint so officers can see inside.

Here's a link:

http://www.savenrg.com/windowtint.htm

Here's a link
Old 08-30-2005, 05:18 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Louie & Linda
I did tint my 2000 Alpine against the advise of the tint shop. Alpines have dual pane windows and if the seal on them is good, the tint on the inside will heat the air in the middle and possible crack one or the other pane. On mine it just blew the seal such that the windows fogged a bit and lost their insulation value.

A second downside is that it was impossible to see outside at night. The reflected light(s) made things on the right appear to be on the left and vice versa. Most dangerous. I wound up removing the tint all together. IMO, I would not do it ever again.
Louie & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:03 PM   #5

I checked with a shop that did window tinting and I too was advised not to do, as matter of fact they refused to do it to our other coach.

The reason was that our coach had/has dual pane windows, the tinting causes the window to super heat the air between the panes and will blow out or ruin the seals.

What I did was order a Carefree pull down window sunscreen made to order, for the driver's side window. I pull it down so that it only covers the top half of the window to block/filter out the sun.
Works great!

When parked we use our Prompt RV sunscreens on the windshield and driver's window. Makes a world of difference in temperature in the coach when we are parked in Florida sun.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:22 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
This issue has popped up a couple of times in the past. I called my buddy who is General Manager at the Window and Door Manufacture; he advise against any tinting on dual pane windows. It does heat up the gas between the panes and ruptures the seal. They even had cases where the glass exploded.

Now, that was tinting on the inside, no one has ever talked about putting the tint on the out side. If done that way, the heat is reflected before it even gets to the glass. Since the side windows don't get the airpressure as the windshield does, I don't see why this wouldn't work, if the tint film is of good quality.

We just came back from the FMCA Rally in Minot and our coach took 3 windshield chips and a crack, thanks to four jerks driving unsold coaches back to PleasureLand RV. These fools went around us in a construction zone, about 80 mph and threw road debris everywhere. I just wonder, how about a clear film, like they use on paint, but use it on the windshield. Anybody had any experience with this ???

I'll bring this idea up in another heading and see what comes of it.

Radarr
Old 08-31-2005, 06:30 AM   #7

WHoa!

Sorry about that. I've tinted single pane car windows but NOT dual pane and I can see the issue with dual pane.

Odd thing is local tint shops routinely tint dual pane house windows around here??

I still wouldn't risk it after reading our members' experiences.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:27 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Cedar:

I would check into Residential Companies that tint windows. They have window coverings which reduce the heat and are designed for Double-pane glass windows. I have checked into having both the house and the Alpine done. They say the coverings will not void the warranty on the Double-pane glass windows.

Dave
Dave Fernandez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:59 AM   #9

IMO, this is really only a problem when parked, if you have the driver's and passenger's electric roll-down shades for driving.
For El Sol while parked, see Woo Hoo! Sunscreens for a nifty solution.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:35 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Mike:

The reason I want to Tint my windows is when I am driving, the sun coming through the side windows can make driving very warm to uncomfortable and I can not get enough cool air on my left side and still see outside. When parked it is easy to cover the windows to keep the coach cool.

Dave
Old 09-01-2005, 06:35 AM   #11

Dave - I suspect the reason residential tinting works might be because the windows probably were not tinted in the first place. On our coaches, the windows are already tinted (lightly). Tinting will cause the window to absorb more heat than it would if left completely transparent. So, what happens is that the additional tinting on the inside pane reflects heat through the original tinting, adding to the heat absorbed from the sun shining in. This additional accumulation of heat is probably too much for the window to handle. On residential windows dual pane windows, if they were not tinted, would not absorb the heat and therefore not have the same problem.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:00 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Steve:

You are partially correct, residential window coverings for dual pane have a light tint but they do reduce heat and UV which is what I want. It is the heat the most people complain about including me. I want to reduce the heat coming through the windows if it were legal I would want to do the windshield but it is not legal so I won't. When I have tinted my personal vehicles as well as my as having my work vehicle tinted it cut the heat way down. When I was working on surveillance for hours and even days if we were a vehicle with out tinting the temperature could 10 to 30º hotter than a vehicle which was tinted. We took temperature readings to convince the Brass to get the vehicles tinted, and it made a big difference.

Dave
Old 09-05-2005, 12:15 AM   #13

Hello Cedar,

We've had the same problem finding a solution to the heat in the cockpit while driving. We find using the dash air plus the 2 aux. fans helps some. But to lessen the glare of sun and reflections, we got some Kwik-Shade material from Camping World and applied it to the top 1/3 or more of the front windshields. It works quite well and it does cut down on the heat when driving. It looks ok from the outside, too, once you get the bubbles out. It was quite a hilarious affair trying to apply such a big piece into such an awkward location. Takes at least 3-4 hands, and it helps if you are both as agile as spider monkeys, but it's worth it in the long run. I think I bought 3 yds and had some left over. Cost me about $30. Not an ideal solution, but did cut down significantly on the glare and is helpful with the heat.

Lois & John,
'02 38FDDS, Ranger 4X4 w/ Remco ds disconnect
Old 09-06-2005, 07:16 AM   #14

Jim & MaryJo, We have a 2005 34 Alpine. We do have the electric drop down shades for the front windows which only cover app. 18-22" I spoke w/ M. Glazier at WRV and was hoping the 06 had a complete screen for the front windows. It does not. Does your 2004 have the sunscreens that we have? And are you still having a heat problem. Have you tried running your dash air through the defrosters?

Ted

Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote