Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
hax

Unhappy Wardrobe Door Latch

Does anyone know where to get the plastic latches for the closet doors? We broke one on this last trip and DW doesn't like the broom handle shoved in the track approach. Thanks in advance. Hax

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS
hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2009, 10:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via MSN to twalton
Hi Hax,

Camping World or any RV parts supply should be able to help with a replacement, however after replacing several of them myself, I have taken to using magnetic latches available at almost any hardware store wherever possible.

twalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Latches

HAX,
I have had those closet door latches crack on two different Alpines. WRV gave me some replacements the first time. I recently needed another one and found them at Aubrey's RV Center in Union Gap, WA. They bought a lot of WRV's parts. Call Carolyn (nice parts lady) @ 509-453-4709. The part number for the "Mirror Closet Door #28126WRV" They are $3.29 each.

Also do you wife and yourself a favor and belt sand/file round the sharp corners.

Another tip if your not already doing it, is to push the mirror door inward at the latch just enough to slide past the door latch. Because if you pull on the door latch to slide open the closet door it flexes the latch and will crack/break and fail sooner.

Take care,
Dan R................
Old 07-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #4

Davis cabinets in Junction City, OR carries them.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I got tired of replacing the plastic latches constantly and was pointed to this site. http://www.tomraperrvparts.com/parts...2&cat=0&page=1

I took the p/n down to a local RV parts store and they had them. Just put them on so I don't know how long they'll last, but they are pretty sturdy. No sharp edges either.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #6

After a few replacements I also gave up on the latches. I drilled a hole at the end of the mirror door and inserted a pin used for sliding glass doors. It has a chain on it for the outside door and the inside door does not need one. (chain) The pin is 1/8" with a nice grip on the end.

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
I got tired of replacing the plastic latches constantly and was pointed to this site. http://www.tomraperrvparts.com/parts...2&cat=0&page=1

I took the p/n down to a local RV parts store and they had them. Just put them on so I don't know how long they'll last, but they are pretty sturdy. No sharp edges either.
Bought a pair of these ($9.75 + shipping) & installed same, they work & look better than the OEM latches. Thanks for the info!!
BTF
05 40FDQS
Old 10-22-2009, 06:22 PM   #8

I bought a set of the $9.75 latches but they didn't fit my 2001 36 ft coach. I like the pin idea!
Old 10-22-2009, 11:25 PM   #9

Hax,
When I bot my 02 the wardrobe on the spouse side was busted. Her husband had used velcro on the slide and it has worked better than my side with the latch. Just a cheap fix. No movement during travel.
areed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:17 AM   #10

sliding door latch

Here is another solution to the broken latch problem. We used to use these on our sliding patio doors when our kids were little to keep them from getting out to the pool - so I know they are sturdy.
A package of 2 was about $8 at the hardware store. It is a hinged piece of plexi-glass which adheres to the mirror. Folds down when unlocked and folds up and locks to keep the doors from sliding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door lock 1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	5670   Click image for larger version

Name:	door lock 2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	5671  

Click image for larger version

Name:	door lock 3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	5672  
Old 09-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post

Well it's been over a year now and even though the one piece that acts as the handle broke off the latch still works good.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:12 PM   #12

You don't even have to stress the latches to open and close the doors. If you put a little backward pressure on the door to open and close it, the latch barely moves. Our latches are over five years old and we've never had a problem.
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
JB Weld

Quote:
Originally Posted by hax View Post
Does anyone know where to get the plastic latches for the closet doors? We broke one on this last trip and DW doesn't like the broom handle shoved in the track approach. Thanks in advance. Hax
When the first of our latches broke, I used JB Weld epoxy to fix it AND cut off the "rams-horn" part that looks like a handle but isn't. The repair lasted until we redid the closet with hinged doors and drawers.

F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote