Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #15
Coachmanrvr, by chance do you hire out for electrical work? They tell me I got a degree to do the work. HUM.

Nice looking job. Dick.

Airtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #16
Entegra Owners Club
Thank you sir. I am an Electrical Engineer by trade, but that means I know enough to get myself into deep trouble. The work required for this job needs a skilled electrician to make it look easy. An engineer has to work twice as hard...

The win goes to my wife who stood out and held an umbrella to keep the 98 degree sun off of me! She was a trooper and definately went above and beyond to help. Direct sun and 98 degrees...it was terrible. The one thing she learned was the effort to accomplish the change out of the bad ATS and wiring. If I had done it solo, she would think it was easy because it just got fixed. As she participated...she now knows.

Originally Posted by Airtool View Post
Coachmanrvr, by chance do you hire out for electrical work? They tell me I got a degree to do the work. HUM.

Nice looking job. Dick.

2012 Entegra Aspire
coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:31 PM   #17
Alpine Owners Club
All - For alpine owners this is something that has been recommended since at least 08, checking all the 120/240 leads in the transfer switch, power sub panel, and the connections in the Genset junction box up front in behind the genset. For alpines this is a known electrical issue and any alpine coach’s owner should have these checked or do the checks themselves. In fact all owners of WRV units should also check each 12VDC connection as well, it can cause problems too. We had one owner who almost had a fire which alerted all of us owners to the genset connections issue/problem that discussion lead to lose connections in the transfer switch and subpanel areas.

For owners of SOB’s (some other brand), again what you have is an earthquake going down the road, with each bump in the road a tremor, in the magnitude of 4.0 or higher. With that said, annually, those same connections in your coach should be checked, because of the above statement. Additionally, all 120VAC Receptacles should be replaced with household types because the connections can be screwed into the contacts of the new duplex unit. RV AC receptacles are crap, and why NEC allows them is criminal (read they have been bought out by the RV Manufacturers), as those are even more likely to fail. See this website for fire information and fire safety: Fire and Life Safety

Safety - If you are not electrically qualified, or comfortable working on electrical circuits, please find a reputable service center to fix or check this area. Electricity can kill you, and as we age, our bodies do not tolerate electrical shocks as well as we did when young, and the worse it is for our ticker. Under no circumstances should you ever work on electrical systems when it’s wet in the area you are working in. If you cannot/don't know how to repair electrical systems, hire someone trained in RV electrical systems, the ground and neutral are not bonded together in an RV, they are separate. The bonding occurs in the shore power pedestal, NOT IN THE RV.

Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote