Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #15

Thanks Mike for the name of the tank co. I will keep that in mind if I have to go that route.

Rick..I hear you on the valve issues as that is exactly what I did (forgot to open it) but when my tank siphons it is not a couple of gallons which would be acceptable but 25 -30 gallons siphon out. It siphons for around 20 minutes.

Geoff

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #16

Geoff,

Same here. I often found that after I filled the tank, it was a pretty short time before the 3/4 full light went off. The full light went out very soon after filling. After I installed the SeeLevel gauge I found after I filled the tank and drove 400 miles, it lost 35 gallons.

The siphoning can be very significant, especially if you are planning to dry camp.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #17

Exactly Jim

We love boondocking so it is important to us to try and mitigate the siphoning as much as possible. I'm waiting for the Marinetex Flex Set to arrive and hopefully I can figure out how to heat prime and do the the repair successfully.

Geoff
Old 12-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
I plumbed the front vent into the Sanitation Compartment and installed a on-off valve. I did not add a valve on the rear vent. I fill the tank until the front vent starts run and then close the vent off which stops the siphoning. In case I forget to open the front vent the rear vent is always open.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #19

I received my Flex Set and now have located a flame thrower to heat prime the area. Just wondering if I should use some fibreglass mat to reinforce repair. I'm thinking of smearing the FS on the area and then placing the mat over it and pressing it all together with wax paper. I want to do this right the first time as if it doesn't go well I'll have to change the tank. I'm also hoping to be able to get to the Quartzsite Get Together to see everyone.

Geoff
Old 01-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #20

Note you can heat treat well in advance, day or two before.
They make non-directional fiberglass fabric, looks like Tyvek. the fiberglass (whether woven or mashed) fabric won't do anything unless you encapsulate it.
I'd try to get as much of the FS into the joint as I could.
I'd also try to get a handle on how best to support the joint till glue is cured ~24hrs in this case. Might be best to put a slight upward pressure on it w/a stick cut ever so slightly longer than the space below, or stick plus tapered shim. You'll have to judge how it would work best based on pushing on it here & there.
IIWMI wouldn't use fiberglass, I'd use sheet plastic, clear, that I can see thru to the FS pressed into place between the sheet & the tank bottom. When you can see the glue spooge into the joint between tank & sheet you'll get a warm, fuzzy feeling about your highly technical work, and boast at parties.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #21

Thanks Mike

I have started the prep work.. roughed it up a bit and cleaned it with acetone. Got my torch all ready with the flame spreader. Just one question on the plastic sheet ? Are you talking about a hard plastic? I do have a piece of plexiglas that I could cut and press on the FS. That would make it easier to push up with a wedge to put pressure on the joint while it cures. Thanks again.

Geoff
Old 01-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #22

Update!

Well I prepared the tank for the Flex Set and got ready to flame prime the area. It is a bit cramped in there and I was worried about heating too much. My wife said "make sure you have the fire extinguisher ready!" "Why ,I don't need that, I'll be careful " I said. "Remember you are the idiot that burst the tank!"
"Good point" I say. so with extinguisher in hand i dove in and it actually went well.

Next mixed the 2 parts of F/S and started smearing everywhere. It looks and has the consistency like cake frosting. Don't think it tastes like it though! I used the drill to cut a thousand holes in a piece of plexiglass and it fit nicely around the collar. Pushed up on it and it did squish out and give that warm and fuzzy feeling that Mike talked about.

I took Mike's advice and let it cure for 72 hours and then put it back together. I had trouble with the o'rings on the valve and had to reseat them several times. then came the big test. Filled up with some water. No leak on the tank....good. BUT it was weeping around the fitting. Dumped the water and reTefloned like crazy and back together again. Now with all this it was too late to test. Next morning filled up and no leak on the test or the fitting....good BUT it was leaking around the o'rings. So we dump again and take the valve apart ( getting pretty good at that!). Reseat the o'rings again and put it back together. Fill up with water and so far no leaks anywhere

So if it stays like that I will be a happy camper! Best of all I'm not on my wife's "idiot" list anymore. At least temporarily !

Geoff
Old 02-05-2014, 11:43 PM   #23

Busted water tank

You my be fixed by now, but here is what I did. I found the rack that supports the tank was also broken leaving the tank hanging a bit. I had to remove the tank and then remove the rack and weld it. With the tank out and up side down I used an epoxy sealer all around the threaded fitting. that solved half of the leak problem. Next the threads. The shoulder of the black (ABS) pipe would bottom out before becoming completely tight. PVC (white) pipe have more threads. The PVC pipe tightened up. Leak problem solved. Also I installed a water pressure regulator at the inlet. I have also thought that because the tank is floating on the rack and not held fast it would allow for tank movement as water sloshes back and forth when the level of water diminishes. This would put a strain on the threaded connection that ruptured because the discharge hose is very stiff working against the movement of the tank, thus causing a weak point. I put in a more flexible hose. Well maybe this is helpful or just conjecture on my part.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #24

HI JP

Yes ...my tank is now fixed and not leaking. Fortunately I didn't have to take the tank out although it took some contortions to get myself in close enough to see what I was doing! I changed the hose out as it was falling apart but it is not very flexible. Where did you find your hose?

Geoff