Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Warranty re-visited - go rv

Has anyone used the GO RV Warranty??? Fully insured by General Fidelity Insurance! Their Warranty is suppose to include RADIATORS????

We are curious if they pay as well as they say they do!!!!

#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by swansnest View Post
We are curious if they pay as well as they say they do!!!!
swansnest, A great many after market warranty companies will go out of their way to deny a claim if they can get away with it. I have never felt comfortable with having an extended service plan however some folks have benefited.

Quite a few people will offer to take the premium and bank it. Use your own money after it has accrued interest to repair a problem if it happens. If you never have problems, (quite likely BTW), at the end of the term go out an have a party!

I just can't justify betting myself with my money that my motorhome is going to break.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #3

I don't know about DriVer's experience or the GO RV warranty but my Monaco Coach Extended Warranty, provided by Prism, covered the radiator replacement on our Alpine coach. So I think you just need to fully inquire with Go RV on it.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:20 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
We understand that the Monaco Warranty was one of the best! We currently have CSP and have had a struggle with everything ... we have been waiting 3 months to get reimbusred for our Surgeguard replacement. The warranty is up this summer and the Go RV Warranty sounds almost too good to be true - that is why we are trying to find out if anyone has used them. the salesperson says they have been in business for 11 years I think. The appeal there is the radiator replacement. We certainly do not intend to go back to CSP.

These APEXES just have too much potential to go wrong on them. Even with warranty insurance we have spent a small fortune fixing things! Inspite of it - we love our Alpine! ;o)
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:17 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
All aftermarket warranties are pricey. The cheapest are going to be more than a $1000/year and they can easily run 2 or 3X that. Find one that you think covers everything you need and get a quote. Then forget about buying it and take that exact same price quote and deposit it diligently in your rainy day fund. Seriously.

These companies are in biz to make a profit, meaning that the expected claims they pay must be less than the premium received. And the sale commissions are high, too.

The policies I have seen are nearly impossible to determine, with certainty, what is/is not covered (and I'm a lawyer!). The beauty of self insurance is that 100% of everything is covered. No exceptions. Plus, I have a lot more faith in my future solvency that some of these insurance companies. The ones that "pay everything" may be bad businessmen and not survive when you are next to be paid. The others, well life is just too short to argue over whether your radiator is covered. And even if it is, you will argue over new v rebuilt or upgrading, etc.

In 4-5 years of paying your premium to your own rainy day self insurance fund, odds are you will have a nice tidy sum available to help out with an unexpected large repair bill. If you buy the 3d party insurance, in 4-5 years you will have paid out up to $10K or more. And, just when your coach, due to age or mileage, is more likely to start having some items break/wear out, you will find these companies are not interested in insuring you. But, the good old self insurance has no time limits, no mileage limits, no exceptions. You and you alone determine what is covered!

Enjoy your coach and invest in yourself.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:41 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by swansnest View Post
We understand that the Monaco Warranty was one of the best! We currently have CSP and have had a struggle with everything ... we have been waiting 3 months to get reimbusred for our Surgeguard replacement. The warranty is up this summer and the Go RV Warranty sounds almost too good to be true - that is why we are trying to find out if anyone has used them. the salesperson says they have been in business for 11 years I think. The appeal there is the radiator replacement. We certainly do not intend to go back to CSP.

These APEXES just have too much potential to go wrong on them. Even with warranty insurance we have spent a small fortune fixing things! Inspite of it - we love our Alpine! ;o)
Ask the salesperson point blank and I think you will find he/she is not even employed by Go RV. They are just commissioned brokers. They have no stake (or even real knowledge) in the insurance company. They won't be the ones who handle claims and really won't know what problems people have with claims. Where is his source of information? As a non-employee, he just has access to hype and marketing materials. These are largely unregulated companies. You can't go to some independent source to find the number of complaints per 100 claims nor can you find our what the rate of claim denial is. Sure, you will have a testimonial from someone who had a repair that was actually paid but how many unhappy customers were unpaid? These forums are the only source for that type of information. Additionally, these sales people typically give you a 2 or 3 page "summary" of coverage, not the actual policy upon which the real legal requirements (coverage and EXCLUSIONS) are based. And guess who gets to interpret the policy? Not you. You and I may look at the policy and think it clearly covers X but the person who crafted it gets to say, "no" that is not covered. Your only recourse is to sue. Since most of these disputed claims will be for several hundred (and usually no more than a couple thousand) dollars, the cost in time and money of pursuing legal action will not be justified. The insurer banks on the fact that most people will either accept the insurer's decision (even if they do not like it) or will do nothing except fail to renew.

If you do any basic research you will run across a saying that is often repeated in court (when the insurance company is being sued):

"Insurance companies are in the business of collecting premiums and denying claims."

I talked to one of these folks, just for fun, last year. To get coverage, they wanted to do an inspection on my MH to make sure it didn't have any pre-existing conditions that they might be liable for. Sounds like a prudent business model at first blush. Then came the kicker. They wanted to charge ME $400 for the inspection. If they want to reduce their business risk, fine, but their pre qualifying expenses are their own, not mine.

I'm sure we have all bought life insurance where the company wants to do some basic screening exam. They send someone to weigh you, talk pulse, take blood pressure, draw blood and/or take a urine sample to make sure you are not a time bomb ready to drop dead as soon as they insure you. But never once have I been asked to pay a penny for such screening. That is part of the cost of the insurance company doing business and their own risk management.

To ask a prospective customer to pay $400 for an inspection just for the privilege of handing them thousands of dollars in premiums told me all I needed to know about the company and its practices. The inspection included drawing oil samples, etc. I can imagine the misuse they could do with the inspection results. Issue policy then when you have a future claim, deny it because of some "pre existing" condition they found in the inspection!! HA! This takes it to a new level of craftiness.

No thanks.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #7

IF you are going to buy an extended warranty, one approach is to ask a couple of motorhome service repair centers which warranty companies are easy to work with and which are most likely to quickly pay for a claim. Of course, they are not likely to endorse any one company, but they might give you a list of 2-3 names that they have good luck in working with.

I used this approach on my 2001 Alpine Coach when buying an extended warranty. I asked this question of RMechanic in Livermore, CA, and they gave me 2 names, but they would not endorse anyone. I chose one of those names and had very good claims response from them. The insurer was a division of GE Financial at the time, which was later sold to another company. After the existing policies expired, that other company stopped selling new extended warranties for motorhomes, so that is not a current option.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #8

I have taken Dave and Jaime's approach with my Alpine Coach for nearly 6 years, and I figure I am ahead of the game by quite a bit. I am willing to pay the cost of needed repairs if/when needed in exchange for the hassle of dealing with the warranty. I took the same approach with two class C motorhomes before that. I was well ahead of the game. Someday I might lose the bet.

I never buy extended warranties. I was once offered a 3 year warranty by RCA on a portable color TV that was well over half the cost of the TV! If it dies in 3 years I would prefer to put the warranty money towards a new TV from another manufacturer. RCA probably offered me extended warranties a half dozen times on that TV. I haven't bought a TV from them since.

I have lost a few bets from time to time, but I like my odds.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I'm insured by Mastercard. Works for me.
TerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #10

Commercial Member

I blogged on the subject of extended warranties a couple of days ago. It's entitled, "Navigating the Extended Warranty Minefield". Here's a link: http://www.leesrv.com/blog/

I blog 2 or 3 times a week on RV subjects with a dealer insider view. I have an RSS feed so that you can subscribe to blog if you wish. Lee Litchfield