Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:49 PM   #1

Was there a two piston caliper recall on Alpines?

It's been raining all week and I haven't got my RV wheels removed yet...to inspect the brakes, which have been hanging up.

I have been looking for some answers on this ...because the pads are super thick and the coach only has about 50 K miles.

Then I ran across some mention of a caliper recall on Bosch Brakes which I imagine these are (2001 Alpine with 2 piston calipers)....and descriptions of the exact issues I have ben having with my brakes.

I will continue to search for answers as this thread goes to post...but in the interest of time (some of the searched threads are years old) can anyone shed any light on a possible recall of two piston calipers on a early 2001 Alpine? ....and a place to buy the newer calipers if there has been a recall.

Best regards...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2015, 08:41 PM   #2

According to a lengthy Forum search... the answer is yes according this thread:

Caliper recall question

I'm on the recall list posted in this thread...BUT there isn't a part number for the new replacement calipers, and I don't have the part number for the ones on the coach to cross reference. I won't be able to remove the wheels and get that information till all the thunderstorms, straight line winds, tornados and monster hail let up here in north central Texas. (nice weather ..huh?...lol!)

Does anyone have the part numbers I need so I can get the needed calipers ordered and on the way??

Thanks...

Old 05-10-2015, 09:12 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
The casting number on the calipers is what is used for part numbers. Left and Right side have different casting numbers. Just take the casting numbers to the parts house and they can pull them off the shelf or order them. They are common so you should have no problems locating them. When I help my friend replace his calipers, NAPA had them on the shelf.

I believe the rears should use the same casting numbers as the front. The casting numbers are visible from under the coach without removing the wheels.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:55 PM   #4

Thanks Dave..

I still getting a little education on these calipers...it seems that phenolic caliper pistons were a problem, which caused the recall. It also seems that all the replacement calipers still have phenolic pistons ???

I hope the composition of the phenolic material has changed...this is a lot of wok and I'd prefer not to have to do it twice.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:32 PM   #5

Now I have seen a reference to calipers with stainless steel caliper pistons...

BUT ..no reference where to buy them ..."if" that is a better approach than the phenolic pistons???.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:31 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Contact the parts house to see what they have in stock. It has been years since the recall so the replacement calipers should no longer have the phenolic pistons.

Most replacement calipers are rebuild not new, unless you order new.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #7

OK...
If you have the Bosh two piston calipers, according to Bendix, the current part number for rebuilt calipers is:

Part # "E14688010" on this date May 11, 2025. My cost was $92.00 each.

They could not say if the rebuilt calipers were phenolic or not for sure. But believe that that many calipers are, and that the Phenolic material composition has greatly improved since that recall, and will no longer absorb water if they are.

I found some cheaper but decided to go with Bendix ,which is a well known name with better quality control.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:13 PM   #8

They had a substantial recall on Workhorse chassis RV's with 66mm (smaller) piston calipers, but not the 73mm calipers. When I researched it, they were going to reformulate the phenolic for all sizes of piston, 66's first to get all stock required on the shelf for recall, then the 73's. So if you are getting fresh 73's you are getting the updated phenolic pistons.

No excuse tho for not changing brake fluid every 2 years max on those rigs.

Tags
recall