Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
Washer/Dryer Power

Did a search on washer/dryer, didn't find this issue discussed.

We've got a new-to-us 2001 40FD. It came with a Whirlpool stacked washer/dryer.

During the walkthrough I ran it and de-winterized it. Both the washer and dryer worked (coach was connected to 50 amp shore power). I've noticed that it now doesn't run either on inverter power or on the generator. I don't have easy access to 50 amp service, so haven't plugged in to confirm a bigger problem hasn't developed.

1. Is that normal?
2. If yes, are the newer units designed to work without shore power?

The idea is to be able to do a load a night while traveling without having to find a place to hook up every night.

The Family Man

The Family Man
2001 40FD
Family Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Alpine Owners Club
Not sure why it doesn't run on the generator, but of course it doesn't run on the inverter. I can't imagine how huge a battery bank you would have to run a dryer on batteries? Sort of like trying to run the Air Conditioner on batteries.

Barbara & David O'Keeffe
Figment II (Alpine 2002 36 MDDS)
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It won't run on an inverter but should run with the generator on if you have no access to shore power. Did you check the circuit breaker to see if it has possibly tripped. If it has just turn it to the
"off" position and then back "on".
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
What is your genset size? If you only got a 7.5kw or so genset it is possible that the dryer/washer is wired to bypass the genset as it is insufficient in capacity to provide full 50amp power. If it is a 240v dryer then that bypass is for sure.

As barbaraok said the inverter is never part of a dryer/washer circuit.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Alpine Owners Club
I'm not sure how Alpine handled this as far as wiring goes, but the washing machine is not supposed to be run without having the grey water tank drain valve open due to the high volume of water that it spits out when draining. There may be some sort of a wiring bypass to make sure you aren't using the washer without being plugged into shore power. Just a thought, not even an educated guess!
Roger & Diana
'03 Alpine 36MDDS
Leeds, UT
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
I rewired mine so the W/D will run off of the inverter. I did it so my internet equipment plugged into the same outlet would always be on. We rarely use it when not hooked up but we can.
Wayne & Kathy
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
Genset is an Onan 7.5. Washer ran without the grey water valve open at dealership. Not sure the draw of the dryer, but believe I have the manual and can check (added to the list of things to check).

I guess step one is to find a 50 amp plug and check it, then go from there.

Sounds like if it is 50 amp only because 7.5 genset can't handle the dryer I'm out of luck with this washer/dryer unit.

Can anyone confirm from personal experience that there is a viable option to run off of the 7.5 Onan?

That also raises the question of running a/c and washer/dryer at the same time (will be hot soon than I would like to admit). Would that be too much for the 7.5 Onan? If so, would it also be to much for 50 amp shore power?

Dang! I knew I shouldn't have quit on that EE degree. Stupid business degree...

EM, looks like yet another good use for the electrical diagram. Guessing the washer/dryer pre-wire will be there.
The Family Man
2001 40FD
Family Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
Alpine Owners Club
All - The washer/dryer is not wired into the inverter circuit so it won't work under that process.

It will work on the genset, even if the genset is only 7.5KW. The generator has the required wiring and stuff to run the dryer and at least one A/C at the same time. Read the manual on the unit to make sure you have things set correctly, check the breaker on the genset and panel inside the coach to ensure none have tripped.

Although the washer should not be (I don't think) wired into a GFCI circuit, reset all those to make sure.
Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
Alpine Owners Club
My washer and dryer work when running down the road, with the genset on. I call it multi-tasking. A full load uses about 21 gallons of water. Fills the gray tank fast.

Thanks Wayne for mentioning the W/D are tied to the same circuit as the front PS outlet. I never thought about it, but knew it was so. Puts a different outlook on jumping the wiring for that front outlet.
2003 Alpine 40FDTS (400HP)
Long Beach, CA
takepride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
W/D probably is not wired to operate off the inverter. If load center 120Vac breaker is on, then the W/D units should operate on 50A shore power or generator. If generator is energizing all the other 120Vac outlets in MH, only other thing if I remember right is that on stacked units there may be a interlock switch to operated one or the other, not both units at same time. Dryer pulls maybe 12A & washer 5.0A. Typically both units are wired to same 15A 120vac circuit. If these are wired with the interlock switch, switch may not be made up or is faulty.
05 40FDQS

bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote