Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Washer/dryer venting

We have a 2003 40' with the Majestic washer/dryer that seems to be working properly except that it gets very hot in the drying cycle and yet doesn't dry that well.

I can't see how the air circulates in/out? Nor can I find a Dryer firlter screen.
There is a boxed-in chase in the rear outside corner of the storage cabinet above from above the W/D to the ceiling....BUT no vent on the roof???
All the Dryers I have installed in houses have 4" flex vents and filter screens to be cleaned each cycle!
Is it possible that it was never vented?

Having a great trip in the motor coach in the Great NW.
Ray Jeske

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2014, 12:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainstop2 View Post
We have a 2003 40' with the Majestic washer/dryer that seems to be working properly except that it gets very hot in the drying cycle and yet doesn't dry that well.

I can't see how the air circulates in/out? Nor can I find a Dryer firlter screen.

There is a boxed-in chase in the rear outside corner of the storage cabinet above from above the W/D to the ceiling....BUT no vent on the roof???

All the Dryers I have installed in houses have 4" flex vents and filter screens to be cleaned each cycle!

Is it possible that it was never vented?

Having a great trip in the motor coach in the Great NW.

Ray Jeske

These combo units come in vented and non vented models. The non vented tend to dry slow and use a lot of cold water in the dry cycle. They use water to cool the drum and use condensation to get the moisture out.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #3

I have the vented model on mine and the vent is directly behind the machine through the outside wall. If you have the non-vented model then what Steve says is true. Look for the model number and check with Majestic (which I think is Splendide now) to be sure.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Majestic washer/dryer MJ 9500

Thanks everyone.
The model # is Majestic MJ 9500
There is not a vent out the side.
I Have looked on the internet for information on it with not much luck relative to it being vented/not vented.

We do have the users manual but it has no information on venting.
I am trying to track it down to see if it can be changed to vented?

Ray
Old 06-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #5

I understand that WRV used a ventless W/D on some models. The hot dryer air was cooled and moisture condensed using a heat exchanger that used water to cool the hot air. The condensed moisture and water was drained into the grey tank.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:53 AM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I don't have any first-hand knowledge of your Majestic W/D but I do have a Splendide ventless model. If yours is getting very hot but not drying well my first thought would be that there is a lint buildup somewhere inside it. The Splendide's are prone to this and I know how to unclog mine if it becomes a problem. Unfortunately, my specific experience won't help you but the general issue may be the same.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks everyone. We just got home from a 3 week 3000+ mile trip south to Alta Loma and north to Port Townsend Wa. Good trip!
I am going to check for clogging material.

Does the vented combo dry much quicker and better?

Ray and Sally
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:42 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
OK - Food for thought. Just helped a buddy change out a splendide unit in his Monaco. He had the vented dryer, and the dryer, it's hose, and the outside vent was clogged with lint, to the point of maybe a fire. I suspect yours is the same, time to take unit out of it's hole, blow out the dryer and the associated hose with good stream of high pressure air, you would be surprised how much lint is in there. I will also do it to mine, even though, I direct vent out the side wall, there is lots of lint in mine I suspect as well.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:50 PM   #9

We bought an 03 alpine new from the factory. We spec ed everything including the washer dryer. Unfortunately we mistakenly got a ventless machine. Bad deal. DW hated it. Took forever to dry. We traded it out for a vented model. Big difference. Still the best is the washer and dryer stackable, if you have room. I think the 03 fdts does for sure.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:50 AM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
We bought an 03 alpine new from the factory. We spec ed everything including the washer dryer. Unfortunately we mistakenly got a ventless machine. Bad deal. DW hated it. Took forever to dry. We traded it out for a vented model. Big difference. Still the best is the washer and dryer stackable, if you have room. I think the 03 fdts does for sure.
I can say from our experience that the newer ventless model does wash and dry quite well. It is important with all combos that you not overload them. They can wash ~15 lbs of clothes but can only dry ~11 lbs effectively. Overloading them significantly increases the drying time and creates wrinkles.

People on these forums tend to forget that virtually all RV dryers are wired as 120V devices on a 20A circuit compared with home dryers that are wired for 240V on a ~40A circuit. That is a huge difference in power and the result is that a home machine will dry far, far faster than any RV dryer. As long as you're not in a hurry an RV washer/dryer will work fine.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent