Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2007, 07:23 AM   #1

My wife wants the water hotter when she does the dishes. The Suburban manual says the thermostat is set at 130 degrees and is not adjustable. A household water heater is often set at 140 degrees. A thermometer shows the water coming out of the faucet at 115 degrees. I don't think a 15 degree drop is reasonable (outside temp is 70 degrees). Is the thermostat bad? Is this normal? Has anyone else dealt with this?
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2007, 07:23 AM   #2

My wife wants the water hotter when she does the dishes. The Suburban manual says the thermostat is set at 130 degrees and is not adjustable. A household water heater is often set at 140 degrees. A thermometer shows the water coming out of the faucet at 115 degrees. I don't think a 15 degree drop is reasonable (outside temp is 70 degrees). Is the thermostat bad? Is this normal? Has anyone else dealt with this?
Old 04-01-2007, 09:26 AM   #3

Hi Jerry

I assume this happens when using propane to heat water?
We had the propane totally fail in our '06' - but before failure, the burn was irregular with colder water - the propane flame was fluctuating.
Guaranty Indio tested it and replaced computer module - also keep burner tubes cleaned.
Have you tested the water heater on electrical?
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #4

Gator67

Both your gas and elect. hot water temp is controlled by NON-ADJUSTABLE "snap stats"¯.

These are small silver colored thermostats, about ½"¯ in dia and about 3/8"¯ thick. They have a hold down tab (ear) on each side of the body with two "push on"¯ terminals for electrical connections. The gas stat. is usually on the gas burner side of the HWH and the elect stat is on the elect side close to the elect heating element. Be careful this is 110V when hooked up to shore power! Both are usually covered/attached (held in contact with the HWH) with a piece of 1/8"¯ thick of black foam rubber. The only way for you to increase the elect hot water temp is to remove the elect stat, take it to an electrical shop, have them cross-reference the part #'s and provide a "hotter one"¯. I think that they are less than $5.00 ea.

I think that most of the household and RV HWH'r manufactures over the last few years have been using lower temp stats in the interest of safety and reducing energy consumption.

In my specific case I have replaced the gas stat with one that cycles "on"¯ about 10* lower in temp than the elect one. Why? When plugged in to shore power the elect stat comes on first for just a small amount of hot water use or to make up for normal heat loss. Only when hot water usage is so great that the elect element can't keep up with it does the gas burner cycle on. IE I would rather use "their"¯ electricity that use "my"¯ propane.

BTW- When using the RV I always have BOTH the gas and elect turned "on"¯ at the same time.

Richard
Old 04-01-2007, 08:32 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Gator67
I'm just a lurker here, but just yesterday I was watching an old RV Today show at the following link
http://myoutdoortv.com/show/rvtoday/index.html (Sorry I don't know how to make it clickable but you can copy and paste)click on "Watch this show"
In the index of Shows, pick {RV Today, Idaho Round 2, Part 1} they show how to replace the fixed thermostat with an adjustable one. Hope this helps.
Bob
Bob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:16 AM   #6

Hello Bob! Welcome to the irv2 family. my dial-up will not allow me to watch your linked show, but you did post it correctly. I'll keep it bookmarked anyway.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:34 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bob King welcome to irv2.
Works fine for me.
Thanks for your interesting first post Bob, DON'T just be a lurker you may have other info of interest to RVers.
Enjoy the forums and DO post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:09 PM   #8

I called Suburban and talked to a tech guy. He was great. He said the water in the tank should be 130 degrees... plus or minus 5 degrees. Well, checking the temperature of the water coming out of the overflow valve, it was barely 125 degrees. It seems to drop a bit more by the time it gets to the kitchen sink. He gave me the part numbers for the 140 degree thermostat for both the gas and electric module and explained to me how to change it out. I ordered the part (electric only) and will change it out.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:40 AM   #9

Gator- Might want to change out the anode & flush the tank while you are in that deep, if that hasn't been done in a while.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by richardcoxid:
Gator67

BTW- When using the RV I always have BOTH the gas and elect turned "on"¯ at the same time.

Richard </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When we had our Alpenlite 5th wheel, we were told never turn both gas & elect. on at the same time because that would burn up the connections. So we are very careful not to turn both on at the same time...apparently that is no longer correct?

Also, Chuck changes the anode in our system at least once ayear.

dj

'03 GMC Envoy toad
Donna & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:26 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Louie & Linda
Several years ago I purchased from a local RV shop, 140 degree t-stats. I have moved them from several prior Rv's that we have had and they are currently on the 05 Alpine. If I remember correctly, they were cheap and they are very easy (10 minutes) to remove and install. You need both the 110 and 12VDC units to do this.
Louie & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote