Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2008, 08:59 AM   #1

I have a 2 year old Suburban SW10DE hot water heater in my 2006 Alpine Coach.

Each time after turning on the remote switch near the kitchen sink for the SW10DE, some number of hours later, the red reset light comes on. It has done this about 5-6 times over the past couple of weeks. Each time, I turn off the switch, wait a minute, then turn it back on. Then, the red light comes on for about 15-20 seconds then goes out and everything is okay again.

Any ideas about what is wrong? Anyone have a manual for this SW10DE?
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2008, 08:59 AM   #2

I have a 2 year old Suburban SW10DE hot water heater in my 2006 Alpine Coach.

Each time after turning on the remote switch near the kitchen sink for the SW10DE, some number of hours later, the red reset light comes on. It has done this about 5-6 times over the past couple of weeks. Each time, I turn off the switch, wait a minute, then turn it back on. Then, the red light comes on for about 15-20 seconds then goes out and everything is okay again.

Any ideas about what is wrong? Anyone have a manual for this SW10DE?
Old 05-24-2008, 09:28 AM   #3

Dale, A similar situation occured on my 06 which has the same water heater. It turned out to be a bad mother board (thats what they called it). It was replaced under the water heater warranty by Guarranty. Unfortunately, I
do not have the manual.

Jerry and Toni Smith
2006 04 Limited
jerry and toni smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #4

Suburban may be able to answer your questions. I couldn't find a manual on their site, but they may send you one if you ask. Ask for a troubleshooting manual while you're at it, then send me a copy for the tech library.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #5

Hi Dale I have the Install and Operation Manual for SW6DE Just replaced the old one in my 98FDS it was still working on gas but I didn't trust it. I have the (MODULE BD.) thats what Suburban calls it. Part # 520814. I bet its the part you need or the burner is dirty. to check that turn it on and see how lone it takes to fire up. when it starts check the flame should be blue/orange not yellow. E Mike if you need the manual I will copy it and send it to you. Hope this helps Andy
andye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #6

andye, emike,

Thanks for the suggestions. I found a copy of the Suburban Service Manual that covers these models:
SW3P,SW6P, SW6PE, SW6PER, SW6D, SW6DE, SW6DEM, SW10P, SW10PE, SW10PER, SW10D, SW10DE, SW10DEM.

However, I still don't know what is causing the problem that I have.

I don't know how to attach it to an irv2.com note. I've emike to give me and email address for him so that I can email it to him.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:43 PM   #7

Hi Dale
If I was abt 800mi south we could try this board and see if that would fix it. It only has one plug and one spade clip to change it. In mine it is behind the water heater. good luck Andy
Old 05-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #8

We also have a 2006 Alpine Limited (I dislike that word - "limited"). I thought the red switch next to the sink was to enable the gas operation for the hot water heater. The electric "On / Off" switch is behind the outside water heater compartment door. Sometimes when I turn the inside switch on the red light comes on other times it does not. I have "assumed" that the light illuminating was just telling me that the gas burner had in fact lit. That heat was called for at that instant... AS Fonzie says; "am I wr-r-r-o-ong ?
NorCal Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #9

Hi C&H
You are not wr-r-o-ong. The red light only stays on if the burner fails to lite Andy
Old 05-26-2008, 07:01 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
All,

had the similiar heater in Alpenlite 5th wheel, the light comes on when the gas burner operates, it goes out when the gas burner is not running (working is incorrect word). You can leave the electric element (if equiped) on at the same time. It will suplement the gas operation and you won't use as much, provided you have the coach plugged into shore power. Handy. We have Hydro Hot system, and hot water is lukewarm, going to dealer for fix, the heat for the coach is fine, so something is hay wire on it.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #11

The following is clarification of the meaning of the red RESET lamp for the gas hot water heater switch near the kitchen sink. The following is a response from Suburban tech support:

"If the red light is illuminated then the water heater has tried for ignition three times in a cycle and is now in a Lock out mode. By turning off the switch you are resetting the module board and ignition will take place.

As to service centers we have the list of our Recommended Suburban service centers if one is not in your area any local RV service center should be able to troubleshoot and diagnose a problem. If they require assistance have them contact Tech support @ 423 775-2131 extension 1.

Ronnie Ellison
Assistant Service Manager
Suburban Manufacturing Company"
Old 05-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Dale:

If your water heater is out of warranty and it needs a new circuit board you should check Dinosaur Electronics for a replacement boards they have a three year warranty and from what I have been told they are manufactures better than the factory boards.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:15 AM   #13

Andye do you still have the 520814 board? I am looking for one.
NE TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:57 AM   #14
tcu

Thanks Dale for getting everybody straigtened out on the red light for the Suburban water heater. If the red light is on the BURNER IS NOT LIT.
Thanks again.
tcu is offline   Reply With Quote