Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:31 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Water inlet check valve

the check valve wasnt working where you connect the water hose so i remove the check valve so i could get good water pressure. then i notice when i didnt have the water hose conected and i turn my holding tank pump on it would pump water out of the water inlet where you connect the hose to. is that correct? does that mean i have to put a check valve back so when i use my holding tank pump it wont pump the water out?

Thanks for you help

dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 03:37 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismhamm View Post
the check valve wasnt working where you connect the water hose so i remove the check valve so i could get good water pressure. then i notice when i didnt have the water hose conected and i turn my holding tank pump on it would pump water out of the water inlet where you connect the hose to. is that correct? does that mean i have to put a check valve back so when i use my holding tank pump it wont pump the water out?

Thanks for you help
You are correct in your thinking Dennis, that check valve/valve needs to be in there. Is the parks pressure low? There should be a sealed cap on the inlet when not in use. If you leave the check valve out, and when you are hooked up to city water, and you turn your water pump on, if the pumps pressure is greater than the parks pressure, you will pump the tank empty. Best to reinstall it.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:02 PM   #3

Check valve in city water connection and a check valve internal of pump so that water doesn't leak out of city water connection when running pump and doesn't overfill fresh water tank when on city water by backflowing thru pump

Those check valves in city water connection are JUNK......nothing but a plastic plunger/spring/O-ring assembly

Get O-ring out of it's grove and water is restricted/leaks
Plunger gets cockeyed and water is restricted/leaks

I gutted mine........installed a garden hose shut off valve. (Angle & straight at any hardware store)

OR

You can just screw a 3/4" PVC plug in city water connection when not using it.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:12 PM   #4

Surely you meant the pump to/from your fresh water tank and not your "holding tank"--tell me its not so [smile]....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:03 PM   #5

That value, if it is one you connect your fill hose to, is also a pressure protection valve. It protects the house hoses if you were to hook up to unregulated water source. One it has "popped" you (going of memory) open the valve up, there is a part that looks like an umbrella, pull it back and it will snap into place. Basically, when over pressure happens, the "umbrella" snaps loose and plugs the inlet.
Vary simple but important part of the system.
Easy fix.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:44 PM   #6

I gutted mine........installed a garden hose shut off valve. (Angle & straight at any hardware store) Mine is dripping a little. I will try that.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:33 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Water inlet check valve

You really should replace the check valve, in the event you forget to shut the valve, or more likely did not close it completely, you will pump your fresh water tank dry, and only have low water pressure within the coach until it runs dry.

If I have low pressure at a CG I turn on the pump it will increase the pressure within the coach. It also depletes your fresh water tank but you can refill that when you do not need water pressure within the coach.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
You really should replace the check valve, in the event you forget to shut the valve, or more likely did not close it completely, you will pump your fresh water tank dry, and only have low water pressure within the coach until it runs dry.

If I have low pressure at a CG I turn on the pump it will increase the pressure within the coach. It also depletes your fresh water tank but you can refill that when you do not need water pressure within the coach.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
Exactly what I do Dave.........
I have them, and never had a pressure/volume problem, other than the parks pressure, and I can see that on my gauge.

Tags
water