Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #1

Water Leak!!!!!

Well we just got back from a 4 day trip at the lake and found trouble. The passenger side book tray was wet. It is right under the side window. I started investigate more and found some mold in the carpet. I started to pull carpet and ended up with a mess. I have now pulled all the carpet up and removed both seats and the cabinet on the passenger side. The plywood has gotten wet about 6 inches from the wall and is rotten. I am going to have to replace some of the plywood and I think I will be putting a simulated wood flooring instead of carpet back in. I have tile in the kitchen and entry way with a strip of carpet under the sofa and recliner. I have a 2008 34FDDS. I just purchased this the first part of 2014 and purchased as is no warranty. I appears to me that this leak has been going on for a while. Oh well I will try to repair as best I can. I still have to find exactly where the leak is coming from and fix. I am pretty sure its the window but I will have to pull it out to see. Sorry for the long post but just wanted to vent a little.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry to hear, water infiltration and the resultant damage is no fun...

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:15 AM   #3

It's the seal of the window frame to the side wall. WRV used non-sag caulk that sagged at the window corners. Or it could be the seal above the door awning if you have one. I've pulled & resealed two windows with that problem so far &need to do the bedroom as well.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #4

There also seems to be a problem with some of the combo windows in the newer coaches where the frames are connected. The frame manufacture used screws to join the internal frame intersections and if the screw holes arent caulked, they will leak as well as the outside perimeter between the frame and coach wall.
Intestingly, some of the "fog-repair" companies replace the frames into the coach wall dry and use silicone to seal only the outside edges. So far, our repairs have not leaked but I wasnt really comfortable with that approach. Not sure if they felt it was the best sealing solution, or it just made their work easier in the event of warranty work?????
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:10 AM   #5

Thanks and a question?

Hey guys thanks for the replies and I guess I am not the only one with this problem. I am going to pull the windows out and reseal them. I do have a awning over the door but it looks like the water is coming in from the side window. I know that water leak sources are hard to find as they will find the void and take strange routes to get there. I was wondering what type of sealant to use on the windows. I watched a video that used a putty tape around the outside and then used a sealant after on the edge. Sounds like a sealant may be the best way. I bought some 100% silicone sealant from Lowes. Should I get something else? I don't want to go through this again anytime soon!

Thanks Again
Old 05-26-2014, 08:45 AM   #6

I put a small, hollow, peek-n-stick D-shaped foam strip seal around the exterior inside frame. Took 2 weeks or so to compress after the window went back in, then cleaned around the perimeter again, re-torqued the screws & tiny bead of silicone.

I think if you go to silicone on the side wall it will seal but if you ever need to pull the window again it will take a wrecking ball to get it out.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I've had poor performance from non RV silicone caulk. There are RV specific silicone caulks i.e. Boss and Drip Seal that seem to work better for me.
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Intestingly, some of the "fog-repair" companies replace the frames into the coach wall dry and use silicone to seal only the outside edges.
If you go to the Newmar factory you will see that is how they do it on new coaches. I think it is common practice not to use a bedding compound.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:38 PM   #9

Oh... I know how you feel. My 3 month old to me 2002 class C had leaks from cab over marker lights..... There was absolutely no way of knowing until I began taking out the factory entertainment center in the cab over so I could get rid of the old tube TV and also create a better bunk spot.

I really didn't think I would need all of the tips and photos I have read on rebuilding the cab over that I saw when I first joined this forum. But, thanks to others experiences the rebuild worked really well....
Old 05-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
When our big picture windows was replace with a new one from Motion Windows, Vancouver, WA, the new windows had some foam type sealing compound on the mating surface of the coach side. They promised it would not leak, so far it has not. I do need to seal the PS & DS side drivers windows, since I believe the DS has leaked for a while when in rain, which I try to avoid like the plague. I already sealed the bathroom windows because it leaked, also around the garbage outside access door. A small bead of silicone caulk rated for outside and at least 30 year is good enough. I used clear on the BR window, will keep up that color.

I need them to fix the passenger side because it's fogging and Dave Root did the DS in Quartzsite two years ago, but it seems to be fogging again, need to talk to him about that one. The rest of them are not important as long as they don't leak.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #11

Found more damage

Well I found more water damage on the drivers side window. It worse than the passenger side! I found no styrafoam in the side only wood and it was mush. I pulled it out with my hands as it fell apart. What a mess! It looks like the window and maybe the moulding at the front for the fiberglass. I don't know if someone tried to repair earlier and put wood in the space below the window. I have really checked all windows and looks like the bedroom one is also leaking!! Wow, I am really getting depressed! I have to repair as I have so much invested in the coach. I have talked to a local RV repair shop and took pics of the damage to them. They will not give a quote from the pics and need the coach at the shop. I have the seats out and some of the controls disconnected and with the damage I would not want to drive it. They said from the pics it was major and would be costly but would not give me an estimate. I am proceeding with repair myself and hope I do the right stuff! I have read a lot about repair and window sealing. There is so many choices its confusing. Anyway just another vent post.

Thanks
PS Check your windows for leakage before its too late.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:45 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
I believe at this point, your insurance is needed to kick in and maybe total the coach from water damage, as it should be covered under your policy. Not an expert, but I would seriously check it out.

Tags
leak, water, water leak