Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2014, 06:50 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Water leak

when it rains my bottom step inside keeps getting soaked and i cant seem to find where its coming from? Anyone had this problem?
dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #2

Check this...does your door frame have a bottom piece with any joints in it, like mitered corners? Sometimes water collects at the bottom of the frame and wicks into the coach interior that way. I have used silicone sealer on mine in the past to stop it.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:59 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I assume you get this when you are parked. Have you looked to see if the water is leaking from above? Alpines are seeing leaks at the seam between the front cap and the roof, the water could be following the pillar down and settling in the step well. Check to see if you have water (or traces that it has been there) behind the panel in front of the passengers seat.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:12 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome Dennis

I have a 2001 Alpine Front Door & I have had the same problem and I am having trouble locating the leak. I cannot find during the rain because when the Door is open the rain comes in and gets everything wet and I have not been able to duplicate it when it is not raining. I think it maybe the Door Seal that is allowing the water in. I think I may just replace the PTL Door Seal to see if that stops the water leak. Since it does not rain a lot in So Cal it has been hard to find.

I have found no indication that the leak it is coming from the front cap and leaking down into the stair well. The bottom step is the only place it is wet and collects water.

I hope to see you at an Alpine Coach Rally.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:26 PM   #5

I have the same leak and have not been able to deduce its origin. It does not seem to be from the front cap seam. Given the numbers of owners dealing with the same location, it must be due to a design flaw. I'll be interested to see who finds the solution and the cause.
Mocha Latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:41 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
yes, it is odd. the carpet behind the panel in front of the passenger seat in the corner close to the door frame is wet and continues down toward the step.
dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #7

Pull that carpet up and check the condition of the floor. It is OSB and will rot very quickly if it stays wet.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Dennis, follow the wet UP to find the origin, it could be following down the post between the door and the windshield (or even the post between the windshield panes), actually from the front cap and roof seam.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I had a leak where the carpet was wet on both sides of the door. It was leaking from the termination clip at the end of the trim that covers the front cap to side panel seam at the top of the door. It leaked on top of the door frame and then down both sides. Take the clip off and look behind. Mine had a hole that was open to the top of the door frame.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak