Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #1

Water leak at filler port-what is the box called?

I have a fresh water leak coming out of a small white box just behind the fresh water filler port. Does anyone know what that box is called? And what it should cost to have it replaced? It only leaks while the water pump is on, and not when the hose is hooked up directly??? I'm assuming it is some kind of "back flow" valve, but really have no idea? or why it is leaking? Anyone had the same problem?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Orville,
Could you provide us with the year and model (if there is a model designation) for your coach. WRV had set ups that varied over the years and sometimes previous owners have made modicications.

Jeff and Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #3

2001 Alpine?? 36

I only know it is a 2001 Alpine Vin #18XF4CC2911174224
Old 01-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is a check valve behind your water connection, with no hose hooked up and the pump running, a defective check valve can let water run out. When I replaced mine several years back, the valve was only a couple of $$ and only took a few minutes to change. It just screws between the water line and the back of the hose connection.

However mine was easy to get to, don't know about yours.

To get by, go to any hardware store and buy a 3/4" pipe plug and thread in in where you normally hook up your hose.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #5

I had this check valve problem which would cause water to come out of the hose bib when I was travelling. Went to Home Depot and got a bronze connector with an off/on valve on it for a couple bucks. Hooked it up to the hose bib and now hook the fresh water hose to it. Shut the valve off when the hose isn't connected and works fine. Been using it for at least 3 years.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orville View Post
I have a fresh water leak coming out of a small white box just behind the fresh water filler port. Does anyone know what that box is called? And what it should cost to have it replaced? It only leaks while the water pump is on, and not when the hose is hooked up directly??? I'm assuming it is some kind of "back flow" valve, but really have no idea? or why it is leaking? Anyone had the same problem?
Hi Orville, I just had that problem today. After replacing the hose washers, ( I have a 99 Alpine) I removed the center panel in the utility area. After removing the 4 screws that hold the inlet valve, I was ablr to reach behind the rear panel, loosen the plastic fitting, then spin it off from the outside. A reasonably simple job. When replacing the valve be sure weep hole is on the bottom. Cost was $50. the rv people say that the pressure valve goes bad internally, that it causes the leak. Old forresters idea will work and much cheaper, but you may want to install a presssure regulator if you choose the economical way. Good luck, old trucker.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #7

Mine just started leaking this weekend. I removed the center panel of the service bay to get access to the small white box. Turns out one of the screws needed to be tightened. Once I tightened the screw the leak stopped. This is on my list of things to look at to see what is really causing the leak.

A few years ago I drilled out the pressure regulator that is in the center of this little white box and added an external, all brass, pressure regulator from Home Depot. The water flow is much better now. There were many posts about doing this mod.

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water