Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:47 AM   #1

I was at the utility bay when my wife was showering. I noticed water dripping down, and when I removed the cover, there were suds under the gray tank, and water was running down one of the tubes that seem to run up to the shower. It doesn't appear to happen when the sink water is running. I can fathom a water leak, but the suds baffle me. Has anyone experienced this or have any idea what's happening?

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2008, 07:47 AM   #2

I was at the utility bay when my wife was showering. I noticed water dripping down, and when I removed the cover, there were suds under the gray tank, and water was running down one of the tubes that seem to run up to the shower. It doesn't appear to happen when the sink water is running. I can fathom a water leak, but the suds baffle me. Has anyone experienced this or have any idea what's happening?

Old 08-19-2008, 08:04 AM   #3

More info.

I just discovered that the shower drain goes into a pipe that has a screw fitting. The drain disengaged from the pipe. I can get my arm in there, and I can get the drain into the other pipe, but I can't seem to secure it. The receiving part has a threaded end. I'm still working on it. Advice is still sought
Old 08-19-2008, 12:50 PM   #4

You might need a slip coupling to fix this. You'd cut out a section of the vertical drain pipe, then thread the upper end together properly, then couple up the cut part. Could also do a simple slice in the vert pipe, then use a hubless pipe joint (visit a nearby pipe supply joint for info on hubless or google no-hub coupling).

IIRC from the many days I've studiously avoided plumbing, this is way easier if you disassemble the shower drain from above. Hopefully a real plumber will chime in.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:52 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry - PM me with a phone # along with where in the country you are (so I can call at a decent hour), I have a '05 38' limited and may be able to help. I am a pretty handy guy and do almost all the work on my coach. When you say "drain disengaged from the pipe. I can get my arm in there" I assume you mean your arm into the compartment, but the "I can't seem to secure it" Most of the drain parts are PVC and held together with PVC cement so I am confused by the "threaded end", but let's talk and maybe I can help.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:23 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
gator67,
Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you photo's of this plumbing area. I have the service bay apart currently doing a project. My shower drain looked like someone attemped to remove from the top, wrong way, needs to be undone from the underneath side in the service bay, before you can remove the drain from the shower. I also know the drain part. I have been going to send to Emike for Tech ACA, but too busy. Will send Mike.

D&D Rich
2004 Apline 40
Old 08-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
D & D - How about posting the pictures so the rest of us can see them?
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:50 AM   #8

We just got back from a few weeks on the road and had a leak in our coach. Took a while to figure out. Turned out to be the flexible rubber coupling between the ABS pipe and the flex hose under the sink. The ABS pipe is fixed and the flex hose moves with the slide. The way the flex hose sits on a little shelf in our coach (2001 34 footer) it is lifted a bit and after seven years a crack developed on the under side. It was an easy repair, but looks like it had been leaking a while and has gotten under our Pergo flooring and the flooring is buckling. I would recommend doing a replacement every few years, just so it does not surprise you in the future.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #9

rich and cork
Last summer I had a similar leak, but the black abs tee the the flexible hose from the sink goes into had broken. The strap that holds it tight had broken and the tee flexed every time the slide was move. The repair was difficult, because of the limited access under the sink. You might want to check the tee also.

Sandy and Debbie Johnson
2001 34' FDDS
Old 08-28-2008, 02:41 PM   #10

Sandy, thanks. I had checked it out too. Initially I had thought the leak might be due to the strap you are talking about. In looking at the situation, I think it would not have leaked if the ABS connection had been an inch or so higher and if the ABS had been rotated slightly to the outside.

Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is online now   Reply With Quote