Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #1

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
Water leak @ Hydro-Hot

I have a water leak in the service/tank bays that I think is coming from the back of the Hydro-Hot, probably the cold water connection. The problem is that there is no access to this area on my coach. I thought about cutting a hole in the deck below but the HH is butted up to about an inch or so of the holding tank, ie no way to get your hand and a tools up there if you did cut a hole. Same problem with the aft mounting screws to get the HH out?

This is a picture of the back of the HH I took up at Guarantee on a wrecked coach with the holding tanks removed. You can see how close the HH is to the holding tank bracket. Very poor design for maintainability.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004B.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	3874

Any ideas?
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #2

Basil,
We had the same leak last summer. Took it to Cummins Care in Eugene. They enlarged the drain hole that's under the coach just behind the HH. From there they werre able to change the water connector.

Cathy
Datastorm #3481
Lyle & Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #3

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
Don Harris sent me this picture of the enlarged drain hole that was used to access the back of his "Mammary glands up" soon to be replaced Hydro-Hot. Hole is 5" X 10" but he says it could probably be larger if necessary.

Name:	P1000265(1).JPG
Views:	123
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	3877
Old 05-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Basil, I also have a 5" x 10" hole behind my Aqua-Hot. I must have been put in to do a repair before I bought the coach. There is just enough room to get a hand in to the connections. I covered it with sheet aluminum. I didn't know there was supposed to be a drain hole in there.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #5

There is no access to the back of the Hydro-Hot in my coach which I suspect is typical. In order to remove the HH or do any maintenance in this area, it is necessary to cut an approximate 5" X 10" hole starting at the round drain hole underneath. Note that part of this hole is cut in the actual sheet metal of the HH. USE CAUTION NOT TO CUT THE PLUMBING, WIRING, ETC.

In my coach, the HH is supported front and back with a 2" angle iron bolted to structure in back and welded to another angle in front. Rather than drop the whole support assembly, I cut the weld on the back one, rotated it out of the way to cut the hole, fixed my leak, installed a cover plate over the hole and reattached the angle with bolts and a bracket. Now, God forbid, it will be easy to access this area for future repairs.

My leak was at the hot water outlet on the tempering valve. Both the hot and cold connections were finger tight. Held for 4 years without a problem.

Name:	IMG_0006 (2).jpg
Views:	123
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	3940

Name:	IMG_0007 (2).jpg
Views:	106
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	3941