Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2007, 05:29 PM   #1

We have been camped near Austin, TX, for 8 days and were getting ready to leave when we had a really good rainstorm for a couple hours, as much rain as we've ever had. After returning to the coach this evening we noticed a water leak above the steering wheel. We've never had a leak before.

It appears this water leak is coming from where the front cap attaches to the body in the upper left corner (above the driver's seat), and is dripping down the electronics cabinet in the back of the video/DVD player, and along the left side wall of the cabinet.

Has anyone had problems with the front cap attachment leaking water, and is it a relatively simple seal with silicone or something like that?

We have a scheduled time at WRV in a couple weeks so I can have them look at it some more, but wondered if a good dose of silicone around the attachment is the best short term fix.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2007, 06:50 PM   #2

I had the same front cap seal problem that you appear to have. The caulking was very poor, with lots of cracks and pealing. I used the ProFlex RV Flexible Sealant from Camping World, and so far it appears to be doing well. The old caulking is easy to remove with a putty knife. (Gee, that could have been the problem!)

For a temporary fix until I could get home and repair it, I used the Kool Patch Patching Tape. I would suggest that over the silicone as a temporary fix. It was easy to apply and easy to remove when I got ready to repair it. And it sealed the leak in the mean time.

I happened to be at the Yakima ACA rally when I found the leak, and didn't want to ask WRV to repair the seal. I figured that I didn't want them doing it again with the same stuff! I preferred to wait until I got home and do it myself.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:50 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
While I was picking up our new coach we had some rain and I had a leak in the same area. I thought it must be from the front cap seam, It turned out to be coming from the clearance light. I was told that this was not that uncommon.

I like silicone but am careful where I use it. It is not good anywhere that it may have to be removed in the future. I also never use it on the roof of the RV, there I use a self leveling sealer.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:46 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you for your input. Hadn't thought about the clearance light; it could be either the front cap seam or the light. I solved the problem temporarily by lowering the right side with the leveling jacks, and drying it well. It has been hot and dry today so it got well dried. When I get home I'll try the seal material suggested on the cap seal and look at the clearance light and see if I need to work it as well.

Good input; exactly what I was looking for.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:29 AM   #5

We had a similar problem in Georgetown, Texas during a rainstorm. Our smoke alarm went off at 3 AM and we smelled a burning odor in the front of the coach. We couldn't identify the source so we called 911 and had the fire department come out. Caused quite a stir in the RV park! We narrowed it down to the AV receiver, which had apparently shorted out. When I removed it to take to be serviced, water came out of it! We figured the water must have shorted it out. The coach smelled of burning plastic for several days. I looked at the front of the coach and saw several possibilities for leaks, the clearance light being one of them. The light looked very suspect. I used lap sealant on the roof part (just to make sure) and silicone around the light. I never actually did find where the water leaked in. So far, so good. BTW... the AV receiver was fried and I had a devil of a time finding a replacement that fit... our model had been discontinued.
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:40 PM   #6

Don't know what it is about Georgetown, Tx. We stayed in the New Life RV park, where we have stayed 4 times before in the last year and a half, and this is the first time with a leak. But it rained very hard, probably the hardest we have ever had on the coach, and the wind was very strong. We caught the leak before it soaked the AV system, but it was leaking on top of it. So we were lucky.

I bet you caused quite a stir with the fire department at 3 am in the morning. We will seal both the clearance light and the roof cap attachment.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #7

On the 08-09 models w/the sloped front cap there are two halogen lights inset into the ceiling, apparently as water relief valves. PS light started dribbling water out after a good overnight rain @ Lake Havasu on way back from DRR. Wife: "Why is it doing that?" Me: "That's where the water comes out." Wife: "(expletive deleted)"
Same condition of roof seam as reported above- cracked and poorly contacting sealant under the roof seam molding. I put blue painter's tape over the seam till I can apply a good sealer. If you have a late model coach you may want to check this. Now that you mention it Gator, the squirrely action of our sat receiver may be cuz the halogen light didn't do its job & let all the water out, hmmm...
Old 01-28-2009, 05:10 AM   #8

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote