Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-02-2006, 06:51 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
We have a rain leak below the fridge and to the left of the furnace. Water is seeping at the wall and floor joint. The roof has recently been re-sealed and I don't see any water, or very little, looking in the refer vent door from the outside. It seemed to leak only during the heavy wind driven downpours. Any ideas, I'm stumped

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2006, 06:51 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
We have a rain leak below the fridge and to the left of the furnace. Water is seeping at the wall and floor joint. The roof has recently been re-sealed and I don't see any water, or very little, looking in the refer vent door from the outside. It seemed to leak only during the heavy wind driven downpours. Any ideas, I'm stumped

Old 01-03-2006, 01:00 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tom, I had a used Newmar MA that had a leak that dealer never found. I notice the edge of wood flooring had a ripple on edge that butted into rug entering bath area. On closer inspection the dealer had applied sealent along floor bottom of cabinets towards the bathroom. With the awning closed rain water coming down outside wall would enter the top edge of furnace opening and the water soaked the rug about 4' from leak. Someone never sealed the top edge of furnace. You wouldn't notice it without taking of cover of furnace. Maybe you have same leak. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:40 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club

Thanks for the tip. It certainly seems possible, and is close enough for the water to migrate. Any idea is a good one at this point!
Old 01-03-2006, 06:35 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Hello and Happy New Year:

I was thinking about your dilemma, I would check the vent cover for the refrigerator, check the refrigerator side cover and see if you can see a trial of the water into the coach. If your furnace is under the refrigerator I would pull the vent cover and check/look for water leaks. I hope some of these ideas work for you.

See you at the next Rally

Dave

PS: Santa could not convince your employer to increase your vacation time.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:35 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Dave,

Thank you . I'll double check the refigerator roof vent cover. The inside of the refrigerator side vent cover appeared dry. But, it must be coming from this area .

007 might be on to something. When ever the rain was driving from the refer, furnace side, and the furnace fired up, I complained to Patty of a very moist smell. It seemed to be coming out of the heat vents. Sooo....maybe.....the water is leaking in at the furnace vent, changing to steam and the steam is drawn into the cold air intake. I almost have it fixed.....hope it is that easy . I'll know Saturday and report back.

Thank you Dave and 007 for the ideas.

Santa, try harder. So many rallys so far away, Quartszite or FMCA Pomona?
Old 01-04-2006, 07:44 AM   #7

Tom,
We had two leaks.

First, the top center of the large, side window had a leak. Water was running down inside the channel and exited under the cabinets.
Re-caulked it with putty tape.

Second was the furace intake/exhaust - but only during hard storms. Installed a small defusser, made by Surburban, that attaches to the chrome cover. You will find this on the newer coaches. I also caulked under the vent cover.
Gary
Old 01-05-2006, 10:25 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
OK, you guys are great, almost got it fixed.

Gary (Pollo Man): Where did you buy your diffusers? What is the intended use of the diffuser? To keep water out of the intake and Exhaust? Did you caulk directly behind the stainless steel intake/exhaust plate? Our problem was also during driving rain.

So many questions. Thanks
Old 04-06-2006, 02:34 PM   #9

I have also noticed a leak behind the dinette after this round of calif rain. It was also dripping from the heater floor vent into the storage compartment. The vent hose was dry inside, so it appears that it may be coming in from some where near the heater or frige. Have not found leak yet. Any other possible sources?
Also what does the difuser do

Sandy and Deb Johnson
2001 Alpine Coach 34'
Old 04-06-2006, 03:21 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Check the ridge along the top of your heater may have pulled, because of vibration, from wall of coach. Needs new sealent. Check your window sealents around top of window near dinette. You have a 2001 coach good idea for the year to check all sealent locations. Your in the right post SANDY to find answers for your leaks. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:27 PM   #11

The windows seal to the coach using a sort of sandwich process (inside ring clamps/screws to the outside ring, compressing a ribbon of butyl tape (sorter like clay from my grade school days, but in a tape form) between the window frame & coach sidewall.
I had a Winnie that leaked after a) the wisker moulding was old, and 2) there was enough driving rain to stand water up in the trough that the window slides in; the mounded up water leaked under the window to the inside where it ran down the wall.
Cure was to replace the moulding.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:01 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
I pulled the chrome trim from the outside of the coach, caulked around the through holes and reinstalled. We have been through some big storms (by Calif standards) and no longer have the leak.

Thank you everyone !
Old 04-11-2006, 07:40 AM   #13

You have chrome trim ?
2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad
htg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:08 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Chrome bumpers too Sorry.

I was talking about the chrome plate on the outside of the coach where the exhaust and intake are.