Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:44 PM   #1

Water Pressure

I've reviewed many of the entries regarding water pressure, but I still need educating.

The water pressure in the coach seems to be low. I have a water pressure gauge inline. For my test, I had no pressure regulator or filter. The pressure when no water is flowing is 43 psi. When I turn on a faucet, the pressure only drops to 38 or so. It seems that in other places, the pressure would drop to about 20 because the resistence was low and the water flowed. When I open the valve to allow water into the fresh tank, the pressure drops to a little below 30.

When we use the water pump, the pressure is fine, as expected.

I know the factors of volume and pressure are involved, but I'm wondering if there may be a constriction somewhere in the coach piping, and how do I find out if there is? Any thoughts or diagnostic aids anyone can offer?

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2010, 12:47 PM   #2

How long is your water hose?
Are there any kinks in it?
Different size connections?

Old 03-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #3

Actually, the water hose is long because the hookup is w-a-a-y in back of the coach. I actually had to hook two together so there's about 35 feet of hose. Does that affect it? Would a smaller or larger diameter hose improve things?

There are no kinks, and, no connection size differences.
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #4

water hose can be like electric cord, the longer the way the less the power
Old 03-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #5

Main question is where are you measuring the pressure? (Where is the gauge?) If it is at the point where the water enters the coach and it is fine, then you have a restriction between there and the point of use (the faucet or shower). You must have the gauge AT the point of use to really understand what is happening.
What happens is this; when the water is static (no flow) all of the pressure equals throught the system (gauge pressure). When a faucet is opened, a spurt of water starts to flow because it has the static pressure. Then the water leaves the faucet and is replaced by more water from the source. If you have a large supply line there is no restriction and the pressure drops slightly. If you have a restriction the pressure drops proportionately to the restriction. Water can't replace the flow of water leaving the faucet and the pressure drops. "Restriction" can simply be a hose with a "small" (relative term) diameter. This CAN be the size of the pipe inside the coach. That is why the location of the gauge is so important. You may even find that the check valve on the coach entry connection is not opening all the way. I hope that is your problem.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #6

The location of the pressure gauge may answer your question, but you didn't mention if you were located in an RV facility or elsewhere. Many RV Parks regulate their water pressure to conform with some manufacturers recommended pressure of 40 PSI, and as such, if the pressure at the source is 43 PSI then that's all you'll ever get. Check it at the faucet first.
johnwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #7

The OEM diverter valves (City Water/Tank Fill, and on rigs equipped w/OEM filter setup supplied by Vagabond- Filter/Filter Bypass) have about a 1/4" diameter hole in the valve body. So you have to pass all water for the coach on City Water thru one or two of those small orifices (orifi?). For small demand, say vanity sink only, there shouldn't be much pressure drop but there will be some. For shower and/or kitchen sink it will be higher as you are attempting to squeeze more water thru the same hole(s). Same is true as Porchdog said of long hose; there is friction in all pipe and fittings; add more pipe and fittings and friction goes up with flow demand.

During the famous Oakland Hills fire, the fire guys had so many hydrants open and flowing full bore that the 12" (or maybe larger) feed lines which had great pressure at residential demand levels were tapped out and they were only getting a dribble thru their hoses. High demand = high flow rate = high friction = high pressure drop.