Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:10 PM   #15
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will describe several Pressure Reuglators most of which I have tested (one exception)

Standard RV water pressure regulator.. Brass or plastic cylinder about 3/4" diamater, male hose fitting on one end, female on other.

This unit will limit pressure when not drawing water but when you try to draw water.... It seriously restricts flow..You will not enjoy a shower if your RV is so equipped.

HIGH FLOW or HIgh Capacity.. like above but with a bright plastic grip on the female end or wings on the body... Better but see above shower

SUR-FLO.. IF your RV has one Built in, this is it... This one can handle a standard RV Shower's needs when new.. Like the rest of this list as it ages the max flow rate decreases, and as all but the one I have NOT tested (last one) They can be rebuilt.

Watts or Zurin "Whole House" sold in plumbing supply and a few RV stores, Min wer 3/4 inch models (Cheaper than 1/2 inch models) with added garden hose adapters (sold seperatly) they are adjustable and can easily feed TWO RV showers at once (you will need a Y connector to do that ). You may wish to buy a pessure gauge..I suggest it NOT be a Watts. (Great regulators, lousy gauges).

And the one I have not tested:
Valterra Adjustable.. Others have and say it is as good as the Watts. above

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #16
Alpine Owners Club
Dennis, sorry for the delayed response ...

I've been using the following whole house adjustable pressure regulator available at Home Depot:

DIG 28-60 psi Adjustable Pressure Regulator-PRV075 - The Home Depot

It was VERY cost effective and provides a "maximum" pressure of 60 PSI which is my personal guideline (see previous post). However, it is plastic (so far not a problem) and I really like the one from CW as previously mentioned. I intend to move towards that product in the near future. I've just been hesitant to pay the price but the current discount makes it attractive.

The problem with "non-adjustable" regulators is that they have a built-in maximum pressure such as 35-45 or 45-55. I've felt that they're too restrictive for my preferences. I like "full" water pressure when taking a shower. That's just me.

I connect to shore water faucets with a brass "Y" that employs separate shut-off valves. One branch of the "Y" has a water pressure gauge attached to test & monitor the water pressure before engaging a regulator. If the pressure is suitable (<65 PSI) I omit adding the regulator.

FWIW ... I also utilize Gilmour faucet quick connects on all of my hose connections except for the "Y" which screws on to the source faucet. Making the necessary water connections is a breeze!

Bob Bowers (Surprise, AZ)
2003 Alpine Coach 40' FDTS
2014 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:21 PM   #17
Alpine Owners Club
Water pressure regulator/reducer

Dennis, I used this set up.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1430784985.273873.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	93407

From the campground spigot, a brass "Y" connector to allow me to attach a garden hose and the MH water and the same time, then the regulator from CW (also in brass) then the water filter (again from CW) then a quick connect to attach to our MH water hose. I use the quick connect to keep from stripping the threads on the plastic water filter (I did that too many times).

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
2005 38' FDTS Alpine Limited, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Cape Cod, MA
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:35 PM   #18
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mr D & Docschro98,
I don't disagree with your statement concerning the cheap regulators. They only restrict pressure if water is flowing. So if I hook up to a 75 lb water pressure hose then I will have 75 lbs of water pressure on both sides of my reducer. When the water flows the pressure drops. Then when I shut off the flow I'm backup to 75 lbs on both sides.
Then why do they sell them as a way of reducing pressure on your water system. The high pressure is still there and should or can cause water lines to break.

Something is just not adding up.

I have a real regulator and not a pressure reducer. I did point out that the cheap brass restrictors do not actually regulate the pressure but achieve it by restricting the flow. But then again if the pressure is back up after you turn off the water then they are useless.

TeJay (Tim) Auto Instructor 35 yrs (4-yrs USAF) Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/ CHF/5-Star/Koni/Centramatics * Bella- Golden/Cocker mix & Louie-The cat / All Retired
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote