Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #1

My on-board water pump is making a "funny" noise occasionally. I want to be prepared for when and if it goes. I have read some of the threads under water pump and get the impression that the Shurflo 5.7 is recommended as a replacement. Comments, part #'s, or other suggestions? How tough a job is a DIY replacement? Any handy hints for other necessary parts or tools for this job? Is the
5.7 a simple bolt-in replacement with the same size fittings and connections as the original pump?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #2

My on-board water pump is making a "funny" noise occasionally. I want to be prepared for when and if it goes. I have read some of the threads under water pump and get the impression that the Shurflo 5.7 is recommended as a replacement. Comments, part #'s, or other suggestions? How tough a job is a DIY replacement? Any handy hints for other necessary parts or tools for this job? Is the
5.7 a simple bolt-in replacement with the same size fittings and connections as the original pump?

Old 03-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #3

Hi Rick......Replacement of the pump is very easy job. Mine 04 36MDDS went out a two years ago. I took it to factory in Cerritos and they bench tested it while I waited.......it failed there test and they gave me a brand new one at no charge. If yours last till Ocean Mesa I will be glad to show you how to replace it.
Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #4

Rick- don't know what fittings your existing pump has; probably a threaded type on both sides. I have a 5.7 and it gives good service (so did the 5.7 on our 06), though response time to sense flow & kick in isn't my idea of excellent on the new one (06 pump was near instantaneous, this one is lazy starting). It is very quiet compared to diaphragm type pumps. We use it for our pressure supply all the time (never on city pressure), and it is much nicer than the old diaphragm unit in our Trek. They ain't cheap. The plumbing is easy DIY stuff, tho the location will likely require Alleve. They recommend a strainer before the pump intake; you may have one on the existing setup already.

I always carried a NIB spare 12V ShurFlo 4.0 gpm diaphragm pump just in case my main pump goes out while I'm counting on it. I went one step further in my current coach- I tested the spare, then mounted the spare pump to the coach frame aft of the 5.7, and where I can plumb it in less than 10 minutes using flex tubing w/threaded end fittings. The flex tubing is sold @ CW as a " silencer kit" and is zip-tied next to the pumps so I know where it is, w/dust-wrapped open ends on pump & lines so no cleaning req'd when needed.

You could install a new 5.7 next to the existing pump, plumb it over to your system as the main pump, and keep the existing unit as a spare. There might be a rebuild kit for the existing pump as another alternative If issues you are having are in the pump side; don't think the motor has any rebuild kit.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #5

Mike and Mike- Thanks for the tips. I found the Shurflo Smart Sensor 5.7 on-line at ppl motorhomes for $169, which is the best price I've yet seen. After reading the CW "silencer kit" testimonials I'm thinking what I am hearing is occassional watering hammering?....but I'm very sorely tempted to replace the pump anyway, and probably will.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
You might try calling shurflo. The pump on my 05 started running continuously. Shurflo had me send it to them for checkout. They rebuilt it and sent it back to me at n/c. I replaced the pump with a new one prior to sending the old one in. Easy job and I now have a spare.
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #7

Rick,

Unless your plumbing is different than mine, you will probably have to drain the water tank before you can replace the pump. There is no shutoff valve to keep the water from running out when you try to disconnect the pump. Unless you work really quick!!! At Dave's suggestion, I put a shutoff valve on mine. It's easy to do when the tank is empty, using a Flair-it valve with 1/2" PEX tubing fittings. If your pump fails, you might not be in a location where you can dump the water without creating a mud puddle right where you need to work.

The pump has quick disconnects with o-ring seals, held in place with clips. It is easy to change out, IF the tank is empty.

Mine had a strainer on it like EngineerMike suggested, but it was the wrong size. It was much smaller than the one sold for the 5.7 pump.

Like Mike, I also use the pump all the time, not the city line. I carry a spare too, but I didn't pre-install it like he did. With the shutoff valve it is easy enough to do. And I was not smart enough to pre-test it.

I have heard good stories about Shurflo replacing bad pumps, similar to Jerry's.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #8

Jim- Where can I pick up those parts and fittings?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #9

Rick,

I bought the valve from a local RV parts store, El Toro RV Service at Traveland in Irvine. Many RV parts stores might carry them. Camping World might have them in their parts department, but I didn't find them online. Or you can buy online if you prefer:

http://www.pexconnection.com/product...D=555&catID=57

I got the correct strainer from West Marine, since it was the only local place I could find that had them in stock. (If you think RV parts are expensive, try buying them from a marine supply store!) The Shurflo manual shows the part number to be Model 254-266.

http://www.shurflo.com/pdf/rv/911_tr...-D_English.pdf

I hope this helps some.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #10

Rick if you take the pump over to Shurflo they will fix it for you for free. They are in Cypress I believe, they have a shop and test equipment on site and will repair it while you wait.
Nick Escamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:45 PM   #11

Jim and Nick- Thanks for the suggestions
Old 03-12-2008, 03:58 PM   #12

Rick, We have a 2005 also. The water pump started running continuously and then we lost water pressure on it and it became very noisy. We called Shurflo and they sent us at nc in 2 days a new pump which we replaced. All they asked was that we send them the old pump back to Cypress which we did. We always contact the distributor of a product first and have found all of them to be extremely helpful and many times make the replacement available cost free. Hope this helps. Gary Sinclair

Gary & Betsy is offline   Reply With Quote