Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2005, 06:40 AM   #1

Anyone found a good product to remove the brownish looking water spots on the outside of the reflective windows. CLR seems to work but worry about damage to reflective coating. Help appreciated. 01 36" MDS Alpine.
doug ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2005, 06:40 AM   #2

Anyone found a good product to remove the brownish looking water spots on the outside of the reflective windows. CLR seems to work but worry about damage to reflective coating. Help appreciated. 01 36" MDS Alpine.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:51 PM   #3

doug-- I have used diluted CLR with good results. You should not have problems with reflective coating because it's on the inside of the themopane glass assembly as I understand it - not on the outside surface. fredbob
Fredbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:07 PM   #4

I use to have the same problem. Then I installed Vagabond's RO water system and I no longer have to deal with water spots on my widows or coach. I just use water out of my tank to wash the motorhome.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:19 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Great timing! If you would have asked 2 days earlier I wouldn't have had an answer.

I've been plagued with the same issue for years on any vehicle with deep tinted glass. You wash the vehicle and chamois it off to prevent water spots but the tinted glass spots up way too quick and then you have to work to get them off.

Just last night I was detailing my coach. I've been using Meguiars products for years with excellent results. However, I've always used Mother's Chrome Polish on my chrome parts. Mother's is like the Bon Ami of polishes - hasn't scratched yet. It's very fine and mild polish and does an excellent job on chrome.

I read the directions on the label (I don't do that too often ) while killing time and I noticed that it said it does a great job on glass and mirrors. Hmmm.... I took one look at this shiny beautiful coach with speckled black windows and I though "let's try it".

I wiped the Mother's Chrome Polish on one window that was really spotted up with a terry cloth towel and within 60 seconds (and hardly any effort) it was clear and sparkly. I wiped it on (it didn't take very much) with a wet towel and then 30 seconds later I took a dry towel and wiped off the haze. No streaks, no spots, no scratches.

I was seriously impressed by how good (and how easy) this stuff worked on glass. Click Here to view the link to the Mother's website. If you scroll down it's the 6th product on the page. You can find it at almost any place that handles car care products but if you can't, you can always order it direct off the web. I can't believe I've been using this stuff for 30 years on chrome and never tried it on glass before. See what I mean about reading instructions.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 05:22 AM   #6

Thanks for the tip about the chrome polish. Worked great. The coating seems to be on the outside from the looks of a couple of small dings in the windows.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:47 PM   #7

I do it the easy and cheap (a good number), I use rubber doctors gloves and a rag well dampened with Vinegar and water. Wipe it on and wipe it off with a dry towel. Presto, BEAUTIFUL windows. Royboy
royboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 03:09 PM   #8

I used "Gel-Gloss Wash and Wax" to clean the coach and then decided to try it on the windows... worked great! Windex left all those brown spots. Gel-Gloss left it spotless.
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote