Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-15-2006, 01:30 PM   #1

While exploring behind some panels in my basement I discovered that my 1 1/2" drain hose for my water tank is bent in half and not going through the floor to the outside. I tried to put it back through but it was much too stiff. Has anyone else had this problem. Thankfully, I have not pulled the drain lever to drain my tank. What a mess that would have made.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2006, 01:30 PM   #2

While exploring behind some panels in my basement I discovered that my 1 1/2" drain hose for my water tank is bent in half and not going through the floor to the outside. I tried to put it back through but it was much too stiff. Has anyone else had this problem. Thankfully, I have not pulled the drain lever to drain my tank. What a mess that would have made.

Old 04-15-2006, 05:28 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome Alpinejg:

I have not had that problem but for my $0.02, I would cut the drain pipe and use a union to join it back together after I put through the hole. I like to do things the easy way.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:10 AM   #4

Thanks Dave, I agree, this is probably the best fix at this point. The main reason I put this out was to alert all Alpine owners to check their drain hose. I bought my Alpine new on October 31, 2003. We have never had the water tank worked on by anyone. Therefore, it either came from the factory this way or it occured during the 1 1/2 years it was at the dealer in Tampa, Fla. Maybe all Alpine owners should check this drain before they try to drain their tank. This could be a one time thing but maybe not.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:22 AM   #5

I have seen this problem before. What happens is when you drain the tank it implodes from the vacuum. The 2 small vents can't keep up with the large drainpipe. The bottom of the tank will collapse as much as 2 in., pulling the drainpipe out of the hole in the floor. If the drainpipe was cut to short it will pull it out of the hole. When you fill the tank again and the tank returns to its normal size, the pipe may not line up with the hole in the floor and cause your problem. You need to remove the drainpipe and install a longer pipe. You may want to drain you tank by pumping the water out to make the job easer. The movement of the tank can cause the drain valve to leak where it is glued to the tank. To stop this problem when you drain the tank do not open the drain valve all the way or open a faucet in the Motorhome, to allow air to return to the tank. .
Old 04-16-2006, 12:32 PM   #6

Thanks Fred You have probably hit on the explanation. Where the drain attaaches to the tank is about 8 to 10 inches out of alignment. This could cause the problem you suggest to be even greater. When I replace the drainpipe, I'll make sure it is plenty long enough to go through the floor. Thanks for your explanation, it is better explained than anything I have ever received from an "RV Repair" or Dealer. I really appreciate this. Maybe Western RV has already fixed the problem in newer year models. If not they should. Maybe I'm being naive. Thanks again. This is really a great site!