Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:09 AM   #1
Water Tank Fill

I was reading in the manual that I printed from the ACA site and it says that you have to watch the fresh water gauge and shut off the hose when the gauge reads full. It says there is a chance of damage to the water system. My other MHs had an overflow so this has never been an issue, I just let the water run til the tank overflowed.

Is it that big a deal when filling? Has anybody found a way around this procedure. Overflow/overfill valve added o the tank? I like to have every drop off water when I go dry camping.

2005 Alpine
Alpine Coach........That's how Jaguar would've done it!
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
On my '05 there are two overflow lines, one towards the front of the tank and one towards the back. Unfortunately if you fill up the tank until the water comes out the overflow (usually the front) the water will continue to flow out after you turn it off and syphon about 6 gallons out of the tank. To solve this problem I continued the drain pipe to the propane tank area and put a valve on it to stop the water drain. If you search this forum you will find other ways to solve the problem.

Ken Tarkin
34' 2005 Alpine

2005 34' Alpine
Ken T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:05 AM   #3
You can actually crack the fresh water tank if it is overfilled, and the overflow is less than the inflow. Lots of pressure in a plastic tank when you do that.

Set a timer if you can't remember to shut the water off.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
You certainly can not go wrong (can't overfill) if you fill until water comes out the front overflow (at least on our 2003 Alpine 38', it is inboard of the front of the propane tank.

That is the "lower" of the two overflows and is a conservative "full". To reach this level takes me several minutes with city water pressure AFTER the tank gauge reads full.
wolfe10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
Alpine Owners Club
What I did, I plumped the front vent line to the sanitation bay and placed a valve in it. When I fill the fresh water tank I open the valve until water starts coming out, I stop filling the tank and close the valve. That prevents the siphoning of fresh water from the tank. In the past I have watched the vent line siphon almost 20 gallons of water before it stops.

I did it this way so as I am filling the fresh water tank I am looking at the very thing in one area which reminds me to open the valve because it is in front me.

Never place valves in both overflow vent lines just in case you forget to open the front overflow vent line.
Dave Fernandez
2001, 38ft FDDS, 350 ISC, Tow 2004 Yukon
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:56 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
You can actually crack the fresh water tank if it is overfilled, and the overflow is less than the inflow. Lots of pressure in a plastic tank when you do that.

Set a timer if you can't remember to shut the water off.
My guess is that this is what the manual is concerned with. The overflows are typically not designed to allow as much flow out as the filler line will allow in. Therefore, you can build pressure inside your tank very quickly and they are certainly not designed to handle being pressurized.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:32 PM   #7
Alpine Owners Club
Water tank fill

We have a 2003 FDTS40. 74777
The fresh water tank filled slowly and the front vent would siphon 10-20 gallons after stopping the fill.
1. I did the SAME AS noted above and put a valve on the front vent down by the propane tank.
2. I added a T and piping into the tank at the connection to the pump. I have a valve and hose connection at the inside front edge of that compartment door.
3. I marked 1" marks on the tank from the bottom up. These represent 10 gallons of water. I can watch the water level there and shutoff the front vent, then the water, and then the hose water outside bib.
WHen the water reaches the 90 level I reduce the water flow until full.
Trainstop2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:45 AM   #8
water tank fill

Hello everyone,
I been reading the threads and this one caught my eye. I have a hard time thinking these guys that built this fine coach where not smart enough to solve this water problem. So my input is that if you have a solid tank and hit the right bump something is going to go. You have to have room for that water to move and expansion. So I think they did that on purpose.

Larry Pate
2003 Alpine Coach 38FDDS 350 ISC Cummins
Boston Ky
greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:50 AM   #9
Its not the intelligents of the WRV folks that is in question here--though some of their other "solutions" do tend to boggle the mind. Yes, the air vents are needed to protect the tank from over expansion during fill or while driving. The issue is that the down spouts on the vents create a siphon that can/will drain a substantial portion of the tank, if allowed.

Many of us have modified the vents to reduce the chance of siphoning. I placed a check valve on the front vent to allow only outflow, then added a manual valve to the rear vent line to stop siphoning when the tank is full. Normal position for the rear valve is open--most of the time, the tank is half full or less so siphoning is not an issue. The only time I close the valve is when preparing for extended dry camping, like Quartszite. Once at the camp site, I open the valve and operate the pump as usual.

The only thing I dont like about adding valves is the potential for stale water to get trapped in the vent lines and then re-mix with the tank--so I try to make sure the vent lines get flushed from time to time......

Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

tank, water