Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:13 PM   #1

I filled our water tank after another trip last week and moved our coach to storage. I checked on it today after about 5 days in storage and noticed we're dripping water out of the hose bib for the input to city water/fresh water fill. it's a perpetual drip and it drained about 1/4 tank out of the water tank while it set for 5 days.

So, it appears the tank is siphoning water out of the fill spout. The water pump is off and the tank was full.

My question for the forum is: Does a check valve or other form of anti-siphoning valve exist between the fresh water fill and the tank? I didn't follow the lines from the fill to the tank because I didn't have time today, but thought I would ask if others with the '06 version or later have experienced this problem and could give me some advice.

OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2008, 07:13 PM   #2

I filled our water tank after another trip last week and moved our coach to storage. I checked on it today after about 5 days in storage and noticed we're dripping water out of the hose bib for the input to city water/fresh water fill. it's a perpetual drip and it drained about 1/4 tank out of the water tank while it set for 5 days.

So, it appears the tank is siphoning water out of the fill spout. The water pump is off and the tank was full.

My question for the forum is: Does a check valve or other form of anti-siphoning valve exist between the fresh water fill and the tank? I didn't follow the lines from the fill to the tank because I didn't have time today, but thought I would ask if others with the '06 version or later have experienced this problem and could give me some advice.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:47 PM   #3

Yes, there is a check valve. Sounds like its come apart or else has something small stuck in it; most likely the latter. You might be able to dislodge the something by hooking up to the hose and filling again. If that doesn't work, and easy fix is to get a new fill connection with an integral check valve. Camping World sells them for about $10.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:35 PM   #4

E-Mike,

Thanks for the info on the check valve. I'll try putting more water on it and see if it straightens out. I'm also going to see if I can find it in the line. Suspect it's not far from the water filters.

Also, I like the idea of the new fill connection with an integral check valve. If filling it again doesn't work and I can't find the check valve to replace I'll get the new fill connection from Camping World.

This information really helps; another good reason to use this forum.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:15 AM   #5

I saw this subject and thought it might pertain to a new problem I experienced on the way home from 49er Far Horizon Sunday, but it is loosely related. I don't want to hijack this thread, but here goes. The Silverleaf is set to turn auto fill on when the fresh tank is below 20% (my SW version anyway) and with slosh while driving, the auto fill turned on. I also had the pump on (nearly always travel with it off, but forgot this time). When I arrived at home, I had a lot of water draining out of the holding tank compartment, and upon further inspection, saw that the entire Sewer Master hose was full and the water was coming from the overflow! I also noticed that the input water pressure on the filters gage was at 40 PSI.

I suspect that I have a check valve that is either backwards or not functioning in the system somewhere thus allowing the pump to return fresh water from the fresh water tank, thru the waste water side (I hope anyway) of the RO membrane and out the "red" line into the sewer master hose.

Any ideas on the check valve location for this one? I have not seen the fresh water system schematic, so I will need to trace it down otherwise.
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:14 PM   #6

Dear Thread Hijacker
Yep thats the problem, I had several in backwards. Had to have Autofill in the Silverleaf turned off (much easier to use the pump). You will just have to look for the check valve as the location changes from coach to coach. I'll go with the piece stuck in it.
In some cases a pressure regulator was installed in place of the check valve.
Good luck, If you are on the east coast I know people who can help.
Jim
Old 05-20-2008, 02:25 PM   #7

Hi Jack-
The autofill problem may be of 2 sources. On both my 06 and 08, after installing the Vagabond RO, my pump would run a few rpm's every so often pushing water thru the intake side of the RO. This isn't just thru the waste "side" of the RO, but goes into the city water side of the RO making both product water & reject water. On the Apex it sends the reject water wherever it is plumbed out (IIRC that's into the sewer line, not into the tank). The problem is the low end valve (& maybe check valve) fittings used in original construction. Some of these valves leak internally across the valve. In my most recent case I believe the culprit was the City/Fill valve, as it is the last thing in the way on the route to the RO.

I installed a SeaTech 1/2" push-type check valve immediately on the each side of the City/Fill valve. Regardless of where or how many internal fitting leaks, or how many OEM check valves are in backwards, this last line of defense location nailed the problem. With proper quality check valves heading away from each side of the City/Fill valve, water can't escape backward thru the valve. Using the push type fittings, I could manage the installation inside the limited space available on the inside surface of the utility compartment's main panel (trying to get the barb type fittings pushed into the existing PEX tubing in the cramped space behind the panel will be a trying excercise IMO). Now no mo leak dribbling reject water out of the RO.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:48 AM   #8

E-Mike,

I looked again at the city/fill outlet, and found that the check valve is built into the fill outlet. Taking the screened hose washer off exposed a plastic spring-loaded check valve that was stuck at an angle, hence the water leak. I simply pushed it back in a few times and it straightend out and stopped the leak.

I agree, trying to replace the valve by getting behind the panel will be a trying exercise. I think I'll just check the valve behind the washer to make sure it's closed after I fill it, and carry a second one for installation outside the panel if this procedure gets to be a pain.