Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
On my 05 the tank gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Has anyone replaced them with reliable units? If so, what brand did you use, how hard was it to run wires, install etc?

toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
On my 05 the tank gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Has anyone replaced them with reliable units? If so, what brand did you use, how hard was it to run wires, install etc?

toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:22 PM   #3

I installed the SeeLevel gauges in my coach, and I am very happy with them. They are much more reliable. And there was no running of new wires. It used the same color-coded wires that connected the old gauge. The hardest part of the job was getting to the sensor on the old gray water tank to get it off.

The SeeLevel website has a page where you can download the installation instructions. I sent a tank gauge wiring diagram to EngineerMike for the website. PM me and I will send it if you can't find it there.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I installed the SeaLevel and am very happy with the ease of install and accuracy.
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:27 AM   #5

I notice there are several models. Which one did each of you install? Does the new panel fit in the hole left by the oem panel?
Thanks.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:06 AM   #6

I installed the 709 model. It is smaller than the original unit. I cut a 1/4" wood panel the same size as the old unit, then cut a hole in that to mount the 709 unit. I painted it black and mounted it in the old opening. Looks fine to me, and it is in a cabinet out of sight most of the time anyway.

If you get this model, it normally comes with a SPST (single pole single throw) switch for the water pump. I needed a SPDT (double throw) switch since there is also a switch in the bathroom. I ordered mine through Vegabondman, and he got the other switch for me. Or you can get it from the manufacturer.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I have the SeaLevel gauges, but will be installing in the next week or so. I do know a couple fellows who have them and swear by them.

I got my SeaLevel system from Frank Rouse, Vagabond RO Water systems. You might as well have pure RO water, then measure the really bad water levels. Franks the man.

Looking forward to having the tanks measured, as the factory units were a POS.

D&D Rich
Old 07-22-2008, 08:23 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry, I put the Sealevel gauges in our coach, it was easy, although I ran new wires and installed the gauge in an open area. I did not remove the old gauge or sensors. The Sealevel works on a buss, so you run one cable, for everything. It is real easy, I think Fenway could do it, but he's pretty smart, most of the time ;-) I have been real happy with them. I also left the pump switch on the old panel. If you want to talk about it, call me.
DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I've had SeeLevel gauges for years; they work well. I ordered TWO sets of the cheaper system (709) because the waste tanks are taller than 12 inches and the sensor strips can be cascaded to monitor up to a 24-inch height. That left me with a spare sensor strip (the freshwater tank needs only one) and a spare monitor. I put the extra monitor in the service bay so I can read the tank states while filling/dumping them. The seelevel system uses multiplexing so you really only need 2 wires from the original idiot light system, but I paralleled the wires from the original cable (eight wires - made two four-wire bundles) for redundancy. The company makes a monitor panel with a 3-way pump switch which suited my coach very well.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:40 AM   #10

You don't need to order two 709 units, as you can order a spare sensor separately. But ordering two and putting the second one in the service bay might be worth it.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:08 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
There are a bunch of ways to install the See Level gauges. Because the grey tank is L shaped, there isn't much sense in monitoring the tall part as the volume there isn't much and you will find the gauge thinking the tank is a cube and showing it filling the last part really fast. Most people find the standard 709 sending strips quite satisfactory.

If you want a three way switch, we can add it; however, the hot water switch won't work with an alpine, so the standard 709 is a better choice. The pump switch can then be mounted separately, in whatever configuration.

You might consider a pump controller that allows the use of several switches. I'm recovering from a computer crash, so I can't give details right now, but they are inexpensive. There is a model available that has a signal out ckt. to light leds at each switch so you can know when the pump is on.

Having a second console (panel) in the service bay is another option. The consoles are available separately.

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote