Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #1

Wax Valve Orifice location

I've just purchased a 2003 Alpine 40 400hp Cummins. I have the typical AC problem at idle. I've red about a mod to the wax valve that adds an orifice .022-.023. I called Source Engineering about purchasing one but was told to buy a restrictor AN fitting. They were not as helpful as I've read in the forums. My question, can anyone provide a part number and maybe a pic of the orifice? The wax valve looks to have 2 size fittings, #4 and #6 AN.
Panaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2017, 06:18 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club

Hello and Welcome Panaman.

Instated of trying to change the wax valve if yours is still good I would recommend installing a 12v electric automotive fan on the A/C Condenser. Paul Lisec did this on his 2001 Alpine and I am going to do this to my 2001 Alpine. The fan will run cool air across the condenser whenever the A/C compressor is running keeping the pressures down. I just order the fan and will have this installed before my next trip.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:47 PM   #3

Considered adding a fan but on my 03, but there wasn't enough room between the A/C condenser and the grill to fit even the thinnest fan I could find on the market--not without some major mods to how the radiator stack is hung. So...options: 1--find and install the orifice [I kind of like this one]; 2- add an electric solenoid [relayed from AC compressor clutch circuit] to the fan motor fluid control loop [wax valve][tried this but didn't like that solenoid is not graduated]; and 3--[my favorite] move the condenser up front to genset area and add fan[s] there [big effort though]...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:30 AM   #4

So the wax valve is normally open allowing fluid to bypass the pump. Putting a orifice inline creates enough back pressure to get the hydraulic motor to spin. The size of the orifice determines the speed of the fan. If this is the case it should not matter which line the orifice is installed. The wax valve has two different size fittings, I'm assuming the large one is supply and the small one is the return. I was told a .018 orifice will give about 1000 rpm and a .023 will give 300-400 rpm. Am I on the right track?
Old 05-30-2017, 06:43 PM   #5

If anyone is interested, I put a high pressure needle valve inline from the wax valve. I can dial in whatever speed needed to keep the a/c coil cool. I also found the orifice fittings at O'Keefe controls. I have some on order.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:11 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to greenmachine
Hey I'm kinda lost here. Our you saying you don't have a condenser fan on the a/c coil? Back at the radiator ,on the intake there ,you don't have two fans there? Maybe I'm not understanding your answer here. I have to fan motors right inside the grille on the condenser coil. If that's the case I can look for name and number of this.

Larry
2003 38FD Alpine 350 ISC Cummins
greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:24 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Panaman, That sounds like an interesting solution. Any chance you would post the part number of the needle valve you used and maybe a picture of exactly where/how you installed it ?

Thanks !
Old 06-06-2017, 08:42 AM   #8

Larry, appears you have an aftermarket solution installed. The electric fans on your radiator stack are not OEM--good solution but hard to do unless you have room behind the grill or you substantially modify the radiator stack mountings. I took the idea one-step further and moved the condenser to the front cab area--A/C works great now but not a project for the faint of heart [smile]....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 06-06-2017, 09:14 AM   #9

Old Scout, If I start having leak problems I think that's what I would do ,is move the condenser to front. They trimmed the medal on the rear grille to take fans on. So for it does a good job and when we stop, and I go bye the grille the fans are running to cool the coil down even when you turn the diesel off. Thanks Old Scout and all. Will be going to Austin Texas a lot here real soon starting in August.
Larry and Tammy
2003 38FDDS
Boston Ky
Old 06-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #10

Larry--If you are going to be in the Austin area in early Nov., you need to check out the ACA Fall Heritage Rally near New Braunfels. My wife Jan and I are again hosting the rally again this year for the third time. Check out my recent post on activities and registration forms....
PS-- You say fans run even with engine off....I used the compressor clutch circuit to control the fans I added. Not sure what source the PO used on your rig to switch/control the fans?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 06-07-2017, 05:51 AM   #11

I'm headed out on a trip, I'll post pics when I get back. The orifices will be in by that time and I'll see what works best for me. Has anyone put and electric fan on the inside. It looks like there is room between the hydraulic fan and radiator.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:05 AM   #12

Old Scout, I will check it out, we are looking into a warm spot for the winter. I will read your post and see what's going on for that time of year. My family goes over to Ft Myers for winter but with my daughter there and we didn't wean are kids very well. I don't know how she's going to do about being home sick.
Ps the fan shuts off about 3 to 4 minutes after everything is shut down. The dang jeep is driving me crazy. I will send you a private message.
Larry and Tammy
2003 38FDDS

Tags
cat