Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
Waxing - How Often

I saw a thread about waxing that was about 2 years old, but I want to get fresh thoughts.

I have been giving my coach a good wash about 6 times a year, and I use Gel Gloss Wash and Wax, which has Carnuba wax in it. I have been waxing the roof 4 times a year (With Gel Gloss Clean and Wax, and more recently, Maguiars) and the rest of the coach twice a year.

I'm getting older and lazier and noticed, after I washed it and it rained, that the water beaded up on the coach, and it felt smooth and shiny. So, I was going to bypass this iteration of my semi-annual upper body workout.

There's probably the gamut of owners who are anal and do this more often, and those who just never get around to it. We full time, so the coach is always exposed to the elements.

I'd like to get some feedback on how frequently others wax their coach.

Jerry & Shirley Friedman; Dusty & Cricket
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500HD
2015 Mobile Suites 38RSSB3
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well you are right; the responses will be entirely situational.

We use our RV half the year (winter) and park it under cover the other half (summer). So the fact that I wax twice per year is pretty much irrelevent when judging the effects of waxing or not.

But as to the work, well work is work and I am in your camp. And although I am very willing and pretty much able the roof is not exactly as inviting as it was ten years ago.

I use Nu Glass/finish? (Orange bottle from WalMart) which claims to be a once a year product. It does a great job. My ten year old rig is shiny including the decals which I do not wax.

A few things that will help with your work load: Be a little less concerned about the roof, or use another product. I finally after reading a lot on this site went up there with some Mop and Glow and just spread it on standing up; how easy and it shines and seems to be holding up. It has been a year. No UV protection but it is a trade off. I am no longer conflicted about my roof or feeling crippled after a session waxing the roof (bad knees).

Next; Wax the front and rear caps and stop. The sides of MH's do not take the brunt of travel and I find even when waxing mine that they look pretty good. IF you have one side taking more of the sun, why not just wax it (you know anyone that can see both sides at once)?

Next is spead it out. Sometimes I take weeks to wax. Is there a rule that says do it in a day? Front cap today, rear cap tomorrow (or maybe in three days), basement doors one side another day, etc. I wax an hour in the cool of the morning then put it away. At the end of a week, two weeks what ever I have completely waxed my motor home and feel just fine.

Wash when dirty, dirt really scrubs on a surface. But finding someone on occassion to wash it for you is not that expensive and a pleasant break from the routine. Typically if I have traveld in the winter and my coach is really a mess I will have it washed when I get where I am going to be for a while then it is easy for me to keep it up. While it is being washed I usually pull up a chair and a cold something or other and watch. My dog sits with me, he is a real critic. Makes me feel good to get it done.

Waxing by someone else is more expensive so I do it and by using the above rules I enjoy it and like the results.

You can put this in perspective i'm seventy years old, reasonably robust, one titanium knee and could lose about 40 pounds.

I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The only wax I have ever used on my full-body clear coated paint motor home (and car) is a combo wash/wax, normally a Turtle Wax product. Hose it off, apply with long handle soft car wash broom, hose off ...it looks great, and the water beads off for months. I wash/wax 3 or 4 times a year, and then use a large California Duster between times unless it got really dirty for some reason.
Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Waxing requires washing, applying wax, then buffing. Try the search feature at the top of the page and look for threads on Red Max Pro. It is a floor finish that has proven to be a superior alternative to wax. Once you prep the RV, 4-5 applications of the RMP and you're done! No buffing! A refresher coat each year after a wash is about all you need to maintain a shiny, protected surface.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
We are reverse snowbirds. The week before we leave Florida in the spring, I call the detailer and he washes and waxes. When we return in the fall, I phone again. Motorhome then goes in covered storage (except for occasional weekends and day trips). Not very strenuous - dial phone, talk, open wallet, pay, close wallet.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
I do a very thorough wax once a year. I use Macquires boat and RV wax. Through out the rest of the year I use a detailers spray wipe and shine. Sometimes with wax and most of the time I use the spray and wipe without wax.
Dan Sees, Full Timing in the MH & Part timing in a S&B In Hampstead, NC
2013 Winnebago Journey 42e, 2014 Featherlite Car Hauler 3110 17.5', 2008 Mazda MX5,
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #7
Alpine Owners Club
FWIW - We had a specail paint sealer applied to our coach when we purchased it, and we don't have to wax it for 5 years. Once that is over (about now), I am going to see if I can get another coat of that applied so I don't have to wax it again for 5 years. I wash the roof real good twice a year, usually once on the road and once when it's home. This year might be the exception because of the accident, but maybe not. I don't know what I should use on that since it takes the brunt of the sun/rain/snow/whatever mother nature throws at it. Might put some protectall on it and see how that does.
Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First I would not wax the roof.. I walk around up there and a nice slick waxed surface that I might slip and fall off of is NOT something I want for a roof.

Sides, 2x a year, Once in the fall just before I winterize (I use the "S" method. Drive S-outh till you don't seen S-now blowers in Home Depot or Lowes) Full joke follows)

And again in the summer when I de-winterize (Drive back NORTH to where they do sell 'em).

Full joke:
3 ways to winterize

Wet method (Done that once) Fill the lines with PINK STUFF (Come spring I had to flush all that crap out)

Dry method. Blow the lines out, several times, Don't worry about the few drips remaining, Use pink in drains and traps and toilets, don't worry about flushing it out, you will soon enough and without extra effort.

Strap snow blower on front of Rig and drive south, when someone scratches their head and ask "What the )@!# is that for" You have arrived at your winter camping area.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
We are reverse snowbirds. The week before we leave Florida in the spring, I call the detailer and he washes and waxes. When we return in the fall, I phone again. Motorhome then goes in covered storage (except for occasional weekends and day trips). Not very strenuous - dial phone, talk, open wallet, pay, close wallet.

Mary Ann (DrHK), Debra &
The Jac Pac in a 2003, 36FDDS,
Portland, OR
drhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote