Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
Uh, yea,

but how do you exersize an AGS untrill the coach batts go dead???? the PDI took 5 hours as it was...

Also the fridge got cold, but we did not have a thermometer to tell us that the freezer only got to 45...

and finally, the batts were just old.....coach started fine, inverter works fine...

Some things you just can not pick up on a 5 hour delivery (sepecially when you are a first timer) We also had a 3rd party inspect it...he missed it also.
I wasn't trying to be critical, but the dealer sure blew that one as they should have had the frig cooled for a day with thermometers in each side to show you that it worked correctly. And the batteries, those should have been replaced by the dealer free of charge - in fact all of the repairs should have been down by the dealer in order to make the coach useable off the lot. Could you post the name of the dealer - if they can't even wired the batteries in correctly I think everyone would want to avoid them like the plague!

Do you know how old the tires are? If original then they would be due to be replaced.

We also set aside around 10K for repairs/upgrades when we purchased ours.

We tow a Subaru Forester - manual transmission. 40K on the speedo and another almost 40 towed! Now Subaru won't say you can tow the manual 4-down behind a MH, but in the owner's manual there is a section on how to prepare the car to tow it. And that's what we've been doing since 2004, first behind our Class C and now our Alpine.

Barb

Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #16

M&S- Seems like the ticket for you guys would be a motorcycle lift below which you could tow 4 down (or dolly) (or trailer).

Old 04-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #17

We are four down folk. Much easier to handle as you move around. This is especially true if you camp in Forest Service, State, BLM, etc campsites, which usually are not long enough to handle the coach and a trailer. But, you need to figure out what your personal desires are.

Now, the next question you will have is what vehicle to tow. I am partial to Jeeps with transfer cases. Have a CJ7, a Grand Cherokee and a JK Rubicon. Each serves a different purpose, as long as Obama allows me to own as many vehicles as we own
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:30 AM   #18

Mike & Sandie check your private message's
Old 04-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
On the no 12 volt issue, if they or you have not found it, here is a possibility. When I had one of the battery cut-offs replaced, the cables are stiff and while installing it the serviceman flexed the cable and it broke the junction downstream from the switch. I did not realize it until I got home and had no 12 volt, was a simple fix.
EXACTAMUNDO!

All it was was that the technician did not fully tighten the positive stud...
A little elbow grease and all is well with the coach power world...

RV America stood up and took responsibility and made all right!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
......Could you post the name of the dealer - if they can't even wired the batteries in correctly I think everyone would want to avoid them like the plague!.....
I have submitted all receipts, and they have assured me they will cover the expenses....

When I have resolution I will post their name...If they make it right they are truly good folks, if not.....
Old 04-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #21

I add my congratulations regarding your selection of a 2003 mid-door. Arguably, 2003 was the last model year where owners can still do much of their own diagnosing and fixing. Intellectually, we understand the inherent complexities of propelling a 33,000 lbs house down the road year in and year out. Its the emotions caused by break-downs, big and small, that still gets to most of us.

The good news is you have a pre-Vansco wired coach so you dont need an EE degree to understand why your batteries wont charge. The bad news is your coach is now 6-7 years old--the age where batteries, tires, slide toppers, appliances, etc, are all showing their age. Assuming you got a pretty good deal in today's market, you should expect to spend a few $$s on making your coach look and perform like new.

We all expect [hope] that Cummins, Allison, Zantrex, Onan, Dometic, etc, have build time-tested components that will perform over the long term. Even with a good mechanical skill set, you will need a trusted RV technician to keep you on the road--hard to find these days.

This owners' forum provides a gold-mine of information on potential problems and solutions. Building a network of fellow 2003 owners will also add to the overall value of the forum. Give any of us a shout or seek us out at the next rally.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #22

I argue against the 4 down toad after I boiled and destroyed the transmission, transfer case and underdrive on my Land Rover when towing it.
Somehow the transfer case was still in gear (most likely my fault) and I didn't even feel any tug behind the Alpine like I would have with our gas powered Trek.
A passing RV pointed to it because smoke was pouring out from the hood. We pulled over and checked to find that the fluids had boiled out of the breathers and they were hitting the hot outsides of the cases. The trans was a bit over 500 degrees when I used the infrared thermometer. Very expensive lesson.
We bought a PJ's car hauler and now I'm not putting all those miles on the diffs and driveshafts. It is also easier to back a trailer than a flat tow and you don't have to fiddle with all those braking systems. Also, I have scrubbed the lug edges off my Land Rover's front offroad tires three times when turning a corner and the front tires didn't turn with the motorhome.
A good car hauler runs $1,800 to $2,500 new and that is not that much more than the fancier portable car braking systems. Car haulers, I think, hold their value (so buy new) much better than used portable brake systems also
The drawback is that you increase your total length by 17 to 20 feet unless you want to unhook.

Clark
Old 04-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
All is now well with our world

THe systems are operational, the dealers came through

We are having a ball....

Came to a decision on the toad question..

We are going to "rent a car" when we get where we are going, the economics of buying and towing, just don't seem to work...Also to tow leaves no room for our motorcyles and ATV's!

Buying Towing
$10K for a decent Honda
$2K for towing equipment
$500 for insurance/ per year
$200 for liscence registration per year
$300 for maintenance per year
Over 5 years the cost of ownership is $3400/year

Enterprise rental....$35/day
if we rent 50 days a year =$1750/year

Thanks for all the advice and helping us out

Old 04-28-2009, 10:58 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Mike and Sandie,

Your solution will work so long as you can get your rig into the lot where enterprize has it's office/lot, and so long as you go to areas wher there is a rental car outlet. If you already have a vehicle for daily use, it might work better for one of you to drive the Alpine (with toy trailer in tow) and the other to drive the passanger vehicle. Just thinking out loud here.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post
Mike and Sandie,

Your solution will work so long as you can get your rig into the lot where enterprize has it's office/lot, and so long as you go to areas wher there is a rental car outlet. If you already have a vehicle for daily use, it might work better for one of you to drive the Alpine (with toy trailer in tow) and the other to drive the passanger vehicle. Just thinking out loud here.
Actually, Enterprise will come pick you up (in-town) and drop you off

Or if we are camoing in the boonies, we can stop at the office on the way out, and TSO can follow me to our campsite...

At least that is our thinking at this point
Old 04-29-2009, 10:04 AM   #26

I admire your cost analysis on car rentals--it reminds me of our friends who often ask: how much did that coach cost?; what kind of milage does it get?; and wouldnt it be cheaper to fly and stay in hotels? Wear and tear on a tow vehicle is significant but the inconvenience of coordinating with a car rental company everytime the mood strikes you to hit the open road????? Seven years and almost 90,000 miles later, we cant imagine not using a tow vehicle.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:27 AM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Scout, actually the more important point is that I often pull a trailer filled with motorcycles and ATV's.. No room for a toad

But to your point, the coordination is merely a cell phone call, 30 minutes later a car is dropped off....For lazy old me, that is less time and work than decoupling a toad
Old 04-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hello Mike and Sandie,

I do not know how many toys you are carrying with you, so this option is a shot in the dark. With your 10,000 lb towing capacity, have you looked at a larger trailer with the capacity to haul a little of everything?

tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote