Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We are now "Officially" RVer's

Bought RV 3/18

Found AGS inoperative,
found refrigerator inoperative,
Found chassis & coach batteries gone,

Replaced AGS $450
Repaired refrig $750
Replaced batteries $1000

Dealer who replaced batteries wired coach wrong...

Now no 12V to coach, god only knows what they destroyed.....$$$$$$

Are we having fun yet??????
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Didn't you do a PDI to make sure everything was working correctly?

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Didn't you do a PDI to make sure everything was working correctly?
Uh, yea,

but how do you exersize an AGS untrill the coach batts go dead???? the PDI took 5 hours as it was...

Also the fridge got cold, but we did not have a thermometer to tell us that the freezer only got to 45...

and finally, the batts were just old.....coach started fine, inverter works fine...

Some things you just can not pick up on a 5 hour delivery (sepecially when you are a first timer) We also had a 3rd party inspect it...he missed it also.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on the new rig. Don't get discouraged, sounds like kind of normal stuff for a used coach. If you owned it since new you would still have to have fixed the same problems. In a used coach, you hope for good chassis, engine, transmission and leak free contruction. Everything else is just the RV Livestyle maintenance!

Have fun, learn how to fix things yourself and budget well!
Old 04-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
On the no 12 volt issue, if they or you have not found it, here is a possibility. When I had one of the battery cut-offs replaced, the cables are stiff and while installing it the serviceman flexed the cable and it broke the junction downstream from the switch. I did not realize it until I got home and had no 12 volt, was a simple fix.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #6

Mike and Sandie,

Welcome to the joys of owning a motorhome! (all the disadvantages of a home and automobile rolled into one). Take heart though, after these items have been fixed by good RV techs, you should have relatively problem free coach since the previous owner made most of the fixes.

I bought my Alpine new in 2006 and have had several minor problems and one major issue (radiator failure). I still love the coach: it handles like a Mercedes, has a great floor plan (we love to cook) and I can get it into nearly any campground. Enjoy!

Milo
2006 36 FDDS
No Toad, just Bicycles
Old 04-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #7

Welcome to one of the most enjoyable lifestyles there is.

I am sure these problems will be resolved shortly and give you something to laugh about in the future. Put it behind you and HAVE FUN!
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Mike & Sandie to irv2 and the Alpine forum.
Your in the right place to get some help for your problems the dealer and techs have not help you to much.
You will find that members here and yourself will have the experience to get your coach in top shape. We all learn from one another and save some money in the process.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #9

Mike and Sandie-
Just think of how much you will learn as you solve all of these problems! RVing...never a dull moment.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:05 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Welcome!

Congratulations! BTW you picked a good year. There are those of us that count are lucky stars that the 2003's were pre-Vansco but also don't have a lot of the issues newer coaches have. There are still a few, but I am thrilled with ours.

The battery issue is moot. Six year old batteries are rare to find, even among AGM's. Check the threads on batteries, there is a constant argument going on. It comes down to convenience vs. expense. The AGS problem is common with Xantrex products, I changed mine, too. The old one was Heart-Freedom Interface (by Xantrex) the new one is running an RS-3000 (by Xantrex). I'm hoping you caught the threads on Heart vs. RS (modified sine vs. true sine, HUGE difference), before parting with your $$$.

The fridge is a bummer. As a 2003 though, I imagine that most of the bugs have been worked through. You'll have to read through the entire forum and make your own list of "absolutely needed" upgrades to prioritize, organize, meditate over, improve and then re-prioritize. If it hasn't happened yet, it will! It can be addictive.

Before you make any more repairs, check the forum first for ideas. Most everything can be done at home and sometimes newer parts or upgraded parts are better than replacing the old ones.

Again, congrats and welcome!
Old 04-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We are not griping, It's just that we want to enjoy our coach, not work on it! I have lurked this board for several months before we bought, so I kinda knew what we were getting into...I specifically chose an 03 MD because of what I read here and on other boards...

We got such a "Smokin" deal on our Alpine, I was prepared for $5-10K in repairs/upgrades anyway....

The dealer is making good on paying for the PDI issues, and the RV store (RV America) says they will fix what they screwed up. We'll see how this turns out and I'll report...

The great thing is that EVERYONE we have met so far, (mobile tech, dealer, RVAmerica, campground folks, other RVer's, this community) hare GREAT FOLKS! I'm glad to have found such an accepting community.

I'm just anxious to use our new "vacation home"....
Old 04-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oh yea, one new question......

4 down TOAD?

Dolly with 2 down?

Or Trailer with none down???

I know there are pros/cons to each...We are looking for convinience (I'm LAZY)
Old 04-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
4 down toad the easiest, downside is seperate braking system and compability of components if you change vehicles. Somewhat expensive all said and done and limited vehicle selection.

Dolly two down, less expensive (great dollys in $1,500.00 range new with disc brakes). About the same amount of work to hookup and dolly is compatible if you change vehicles or tow multiple different vehicles. Downside is storing at home and in camp. Limited to front wheel drive, usually no four wheel drive vehicles and some rear wheel with disconnect.

None down trailer allows for towing any vehicle within towing weight limits with trailer. Easy to load. Very heavy with vehicle and approaches or exceeds 5k limit of older coaches. Where to store and keep in camp. Pricey in the $5K used and $10K new with options.

Just my opinions, others will vary on what they prefer. I like the newer low dolly approach. Here seems to be a good one!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hydra...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Good luck with your "new to you" RV! We had (and are having) our share of problems, and we bought a new coach! We still love it and don't regret buying it at all.

On the toad question, we really like towing 4-down, the big issue is do you have or would you buy a vehicle that can be towed 4-down. In our case, it was easy, our Acura Integra is standard transmission and most any car that is standard transmission can be towed 4-down.

Here's an article with about dinghy towing, I believe there is a link with a towing guide in it:
http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/din...uide/index.cfm

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote