Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #1

After leaving Moscow, Iowa, we drove 200 miles. Got up yesterday morning, and the dash air wouldn't come on. After about 5 minutes of growling, it finally came on and throws air ONLY on the windshield. Buddy checked wiring, etc. to no avail. We called Chris Scott at WRV, and he suggested checking the vacuum line, but that seemed okay.

Guess we'll have to schedule an appointment for that, but have any of you had this problem, too. Seems like we really aren't alone with any problem we've had.

Beverly and Buddy
Buddy and Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #2

After leaving Moscow, Iowa, we drove 200 miles. Got up yesterday morning, and the dash air wouldn't come on. After about 5 minutes of growling, it finally came on and throws air ONLY on the windshield. Buddy checked wiring, etc. to no avail. We called Chris Scott at WRV, and he suggested checking the vacuum line, but that seemed okay.

Guess we'll have to schedule an appointment for that, but have any of you had this problem, too. Seems like we really aren't alone with any problem we've had.

Beverly and Buddy
Old 08-29-2007, 07:26 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Beverly and Buddy:

Sorry to hear about your problems. The current problem is probably the Vacuum Pump or the vacuum Hose connecting to the pump. If the hose is off or the pump has burnt out the vents default to the defrosters. The pump should be under the front cap accessible from the outside when the gen slide is extended. My pump burnt out when the coach was about three years old. (It did not pass the smell test, smelt burnt) I replaced it and have no problems since. Turn the ignition on the A/C on and see if the pump is operating. If it is check the vacuum hose. If it is not operating check for 12v power, if no power find the fuse. If you have 12v I would recommend replacing the pump. I hope this information helps.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:08 AM   #4

Beverly,

I agree with Dave that it is likely the vacuum pump. When you have the ignition on or the engine running AND you turn on the dash A/C, you should hear the vacuum pump loudly "rattling" for the initial 10-20 seconds, then quiet down. If it doesn't rattle, then it is likely broken. If it continues to rattle after 10-20 seconds, then it is likely broken or about to fail.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:43 AM   #5

I have had two problems with my dash air. Early on a fitting came loose and dumped the coolant.
Most recently the black rubber hose from the vacuum pump to the accumulator (a black,round, plastic thing about the size of a softball) came loose. Both pump and accumulator are located on the outside of the "firewall" forward and to the left of the steering wheel.
I cleaned the inside of the hose end and the nipple on the accumulator with alcohol and pushed it pack on. Works good.
2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad
htg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:17 AM   #6

Bev- I had a similar problem w/my 06: the AC would randomly shut off dash air supply, sending it elsewhere (probably the defrost vents, tho I never checked). I defaulted to the "Max AC" setting which runs dash vents and didn't have the issue of shutting off.
The difference is that Max uses interior coach air rather than drawing outside air to cool. For a car, the outside air is a better default setting for air quality purposes due to the small volume of interior air in a car. I figger'd the coach has enough interior air that Max vs. straight AC setting made no difference. In fact, if I was designing the dash AC interface for coaches, I'd eliminate an exterior air intake all together as it is a needless option to have IMO. I think its only there due to the faulty assumption that cars have one so coaches need one too. See if that works for you.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #7

Dave F. and Dale D.

Buddy says he thinks you have hit the nail on the head--the vacuum pump. He had already checked the vacuum line, and it seemed okay.

htg3--I believe all hoses checked out okay. Buddy has been more interested in an antique tractor show this weekend and hasn't looked at the coach. After the holiday, we'll get serious. We appreciate the good information. When I showed Buddy the printouts, he said, "Oh, I feel so important!"

E-Mike, Buddy always runs the coach on "Max AC."
Thanks for the explanation of why that is better on a coach. I needed to know, because I often sit there and wonder if it uses a wee bit more fuel on "max." I guess it doesn't. Since I have always felt we needed a LOT of air, I never complained.

Will post the solution when it happens.

Beverly
Old 10-11-2007, 03:22 AM   #8

A vacuum hose had come loose. Such a simple fix. Wish all problems could have such an easy solution.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Beverly
Old 10-11-2007, 06:50 AM   #9

BUDDY & BEVERLY, are you having fun yet. We thought while you are out beating the H*** out of your motorhome we might just run down to the farm and hookup and wait for you to return, if that is possible.(Beverly, you do know I am joking) I must say that you manage to get through your issues quite well. I am sure that Buddy & you are just ecstatic with some of these failures and the riding in motorhome is either very quiet or very noisy. All in all you seem to manage to get things fixed and get back on the road. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are progressing. If you get into PA anywhere call and we certainly can get you hooked up with a pleasant couple named Carol & Ted.
Truly, have fun, grin & bear it.At this point you and EM may be on a par with how to fix all of these problems. Of course as we know Mr EM know has an 08 and I am not certain he still speaks with us.
You folks have a great time and keep in touch.
If I had the finances I would grab EM's 06 and probably get the greatest Alpine ever built.
Have a great time & keep in touch.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:37 AM   #10

Ted and Carol,

Buddy and I haven't gotten up the nerve yet to take the MH out. Also, we are TOO exhausted from the other trip and all the problems. Now, last week our friends in Georgia got about 200 blue crabs in a couple days. That was TEMPTING. At that rate, the price of crabs goes down. BUT, if our refrig/freezer can't be depended on, ---. I am not able nor willing to yet face the anquish of trying to get seafood home.

Things are great down on the farm right now. My sister, after a long, long trip would land here and say, "Of all the places we have been, you have the best campground of all!" You are both welcome any time! Full hookups--water, sewer and 50 amp service, by two creeks and in a mountain cove. The leaves are just beginning to turn.

I've sat here and talked myself out of going anywhere right now. But I would like some crabs and a new supply of shrimp.

Bev and Bud

P.S. Buddy would like E-Mike's '08 with the slide out storage beds (he thinks). I told him that when it got to where he couldn't get stuff out of the storage bins, we needed to give up motorhoming.