Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
Monte,
I've read all the posts in this thread and do not recall seeing anyone talking about loosening their dish. Have I missed it? Also, Verizon Cell service is available in the more populated portions of Alaska. We did not use our USB internet connection in Alaska as the roaming charges would have been out of this world. (We have certainly hijacked this thread!)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #30

Alpine Owners Club
Jeff:

I think he's referring to RickO's last post about adjusting the aim.

Cell service would work most anywhere. It uses landlines to transmit long distances, where needed. Just need the cell site to pull down the signal from your phone. Now a satellite phone might be a problem....

Old 09-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
holy crap this is a lot of back and forth since last post!!!

DNS is still available, you just have to find the right idiot that knows what you are talking about.

if you want DNS, you will either have to have a seperate account or lose your locals in your S&B. (for new customers)

my fix...
either stick with locals from S&B and use your antenna when you travel
or
get DNS service, tell DirecTV you are PERMENATELY IN YOUR RV, drop your S&B locals and pick them up off the antenna in your attic

i do option a. keep my satellite setup to get my Oklahoma City locals wherever I go and get locals where I am by using my popup antenna. best part about that antenna option is that I get HD locals from the antenna with my LCD tv as a digital tuner!!

good luck with the DNS option, they are a pain in the ass to find ANYONE that knows what you are talking about. If you want East/West locals, you are gonna have to cheat the system to get what you want, thats just the way the FCC is! it's not DTV its the FCC!

good luck!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:54 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rv'er View Post
I don't know how far north it is when you lose satellite coverage for good. I also believe cell phones might not work in Alaska, have not tested it. This has to do with the sat's being over the equator (I think), and the curvature of the earth blocks them that far north, at least I think that is the way it works.
OldRV'er,

Yes, DirecTV and Dish satellites are Geosynchronous (or Geostationary) over the equator at 22,223 miles above the earth. They are fixed in relationship to the rotation of the earth so that a ground satellite can always point at a fixed location in the sky.

Assuming the earth is a perfect sphere, then at the north pole, a satellite antenna could not "see" the DirecTV or Dish satellite. Since the satellite signal needs to be "seen" by the antenna in a straight line, then not being able to "see' the satellite is obvious if you think of a straight line that is tangent to the north pole; that straight line would point off parallel to a straight line that is drawn from the center of the earth to the satellite. Hence, the straight line from the north pole would never reach the satellite.

Now, the more interesting question is just how far north can the satellite signal be "seen" on the ground? Quite a ways toward the north pole I'm sure, but I haven't calculated that yet. Of course, even if the satellite is "seen" on the ground, there still might be a signal strength issue.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #33

By using a bit of trigonometry, I calculated how far north a geosynchronous TV satellite can be "seen" by a ground antenna. The answer is about 81.3 degrees latitude north.

Anchorage, AK is about 61.2 degrees latitude north
Fairbanks, AK is about 64.8 degrees latitude north

So, even though a ground antenna in these cities in AK can "see" the TV satellites, I'm guessing you would need an antenna the size of a motorhome or a very sensitive receiver to actually receive the satellite signal.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:56 PM   #34

I have had DTV starting in 2002, always in the motorhome and not in the house. When we travel we get the same channels as at home. While in Washington DC we received the same programing as if the motorhome were parked in the driveway. It was three hours off due to the time change, but we got it.

I have heard if you have a reciever just for your motorhome had receivers in your house it is an extra five dollars a month.

I have called DTV and no one there seems to know anything when you talk about your service in your motorhome.
dagray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagray View Post
I have had DTV starting in 2002, always in the motorhome and not in the house. When we travel we get the same channels as at home. While in Washington DC we received the same programing as if the motorhome were parked in the driveway. It was three hours off due to the time change, but we got it.

I have heard if you have a reciever just for your motorhome had receivers in your house it is an extra five dollars a month.

I have called DTV and no one there seems to know anything when you talk about your service in your motorhome.
Don, I think you get your local channels when traveling because you live in one of the two markets in the nation which are not spot beamed. The rest of us have to pay to get either the LA or NYC feeds when we travel via DNS.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:36 AM   #36

Alpine Owners Club
Hmmm, FWIW - DTV does have an RV department. You need to call customer service and ask to speak to them directly. If they have combined it with the normal customer service I am not aware of that. They used to offer a RV Kit, don't know if they still do.