Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club

* When you say you "beat the installer at his own game" by calling DTV and correcting his data base what do you mean? What game? What correction?

A - When he showed up, he had a new account order form, we already had an account in the MH, so I called DTV and they told him to add the receiver onto the existing service. On the RV for instance I don't get charged sales tax for the service, just on the Home receiver. If I had two accounts, I would have charges on the RV and also for a charge on the home. I don't know if HD in both places requires two accounts. Because we only have HD in the MH, and basic receiver at home this might account for that difference. I get one bill each month, it covers all receivers we have activated. Our Coach came with one HD-non DVR receiver and one basic receiver with the access cards installed. The service needed to be activated for those to work. We only enabled the HD receiver for the front TV, left the back receiver for the bedroom off. I can move the home service (basic receiver) to the MH and the monthly charges wont’ change, we get home; I move the basic service from the MH back to the house.

* Were you really told by DTV that to get local channels when you traveled would cost an additional $49/month? I believe DNS is typically $12/$14.
A - I think that was the number, it could have been lower that was back in Dec 09 and we decided then that we did not need the service so we went no further with it.

* You pay for HD service in the MH because of the type of receiver you have but don't receive HD? I'm not sure I understand. Do you get any HD channels with DIRECTV in your coach? What type of dish do you have?
A - We pay for HD in the MH, and get HD in the MH it costs us 10 dollars extra a month. We only get the channels in our Choice Extra package which are HD, we don't pay for premium channels (movie, etc).

* Is the "printer model of marketing" you refer to the same as the old razor blade marketing model... give the razor away but charge like heck for the blades?
A - Exactly, give the printer away; charge 20 each for the ink. Now they have gone to premium inks which last 150 years, they charge you for all those years, even thought I will be dead in another 40 or so. You also notice smaller portions and then higher prices on smaller portions, Bryers Ice Cream did this, I won't buy it unless it's down around 2.25 for a package, and otherwise I let it go. Costco has it seems the best prices on ink, mostly HP printers. Once the warranty goes out on the printer, they offer a cartridge refill program, cheaper still, and so what if the 69 dollar printer quits after 18 month.

* You say that "With HD, I’m sure the east & west locals have been done away with. So you can decide which/what you want and pay for it"... I'm watching the east coast feed of DIRECTV HD feeds as I type so please clarify what you mean.
A - It was mentioned in a previous post I think that they don't offer both east/west coast feeds for one price any longer. My assumption was because of HD. They do offer either east or west feeds, I don't think you can get both for one price now. Could be wrong!!!

Thanks much....

Rick[/QUOTE]
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2010, 05:13 AM   #16
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
DNS SD is both east and west coast.

DNS HD is EITHER east or west coast depending on your service address.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:00 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the clarifications Monte!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Langord
Not to add confusion to this discussion But: We have 1 account, 5 receivers (3 at home and 2 permanently in Alpine). We have HD on 2 receivers at home and 2 in RV.
We have NFL Football on all five, and east AND west network feeds on all five. The only difference is that we do NOT have HD feeds from the east coast (HD only on west feeds). I only know that we love what we have and the Motosat HD antenna works well. What we don't have are the non-network local stations, local PBS etc when we are out of range of Sou Ca but with the four major networks, we have access to local (home base) news. Between DirectTV and the internet, we are certainly not suffering from lack of news whick is good since we are also political and sports junkies.

I suspect that things may have changed and perhaps all of these features are no longer offered.
2006 Alpine MDTS #75546
FMCA/ACA/SoCAL/NoWACA
Langord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langord View Post
Not to add confusion to this discussion But: We have 1 account, 5 receivers (3 at home and 2 permanently in Alpine). We have HD on 2 receivers at home and 2 in RV.
We have NFL Football on all five, and east AND west network feeds on all five. The only difference is that we do NOT have HD feeds from the east coast (HD only on west feeds). I only know that we love what we have and the Motosat HD antenna works well. What we don't have are the non-network local stations, local PBS etc when we are out of range of Sou Ca but with the four major networks, we have access to local (home base) news. Between DirectTV and the internet, we are certainly not suffering from lack of news whick is good since we are also political and sports junkies.

I suspect that things may have changed and perhaps all of these features are no longer offered.
Sounds like a great set up and it brings up a question I've wondered about. Do people who subscribe to DirecTv in either LA or NYC "need" DNS to get their network coverage when traveling? If not this could explain why you get both west and east.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 09-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #20
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
No, as NY and LA are not spot beamed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Sounds like a great set up and it brings up a question I've wondered about. Do people who subscribe to DirecTv in either LA or NYC "need" DNS to get their network coverage when traveling? If not this could explain why you get both west and east.

Rick

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
My DISH Network locals (for Los Angeles) are spot beamed (#3). They drop out just past Palm Springs to the East, North San Diego to the South, Santa Barbara to the North.

I once had local service in Cottonwood, AZ for two days before it dropped out. Probably just a freak programming error, though proof positive they COULD offer it, if they chose to.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #22

FYI:
With our Winegard Trav'ler Slimline ant we've gotten DTV local stations 500 + miles from home.
MAC&ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC&ANNE View Post
FYI:
With our Winegard Trav'ler Slimline ant we've gotten DTV local stations 500 + miles from home.
Same here. Home was Sacramento, Ca and our locals began to get really spotty in Vancouver, Wa. To the south, we lost them after Bakersfield.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 09-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
I have the Moto Sat HD-5, though don't use the HD feature at this time. I get the Seattle stations as far south as Canyonville OR and as far east as Huntington, OR (Oregon/Idaho state line). I've not checked for going north but suspect it would be in the 450 to 500 mile range as well.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
I don't know how far north it is when you lose satellite coverage for good. I also believe cell phones might not work in Alaska, have not tested it. This has to do with the sat's being over the equator (I think), and the curvature of the earth blocks them that far north, at least I think that is the way it works.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I've heard the same things. There's even info in some threads about people jamming coins under their rooftop dishes to pick up the signals as they head farther and farther north.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 09-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
We took the Alpine to Alaska this summer. We were able to get DirecTV at least as far north as Denali NP. Our local network stations, not a chance.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Hmmm, would not a portable dish work easier on a long pole than unscrewing the hold down screws on the roof to get another 1//4 inch of the horizon? I think I would try to find a hill. I carry 100 feet of RG6U cable so I can go a long way if necessary.

Anyway, in searching for more information on cable types, I ran across this site, and it has a lot of information on cabeling.

RF Cables at Blue Jeans Cable