Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:13 PM   #29

TakePride is right about many things, including the fact that many of "our" small problems seem major. In fact, at the moment, we still can't use the refrig. because of various problems (which, of course, means it's impractical to try to use the coach). Now, the defrost blankets are being replaced (or supposedly will be Friday). Pretty soon, instead of having an '04 refrig. in an '06 coach, we will have an '07 refrig. in an '06 coach. I'm not sure what else can be replaced.

The generator problem is probably the termostat, as some pointed out in the thread on generators.

We also agree that there is nothing out there that, at the moment, we would rather have than an Alpine. But, in all honesty, right now I will say that Buddy, especially, is very despondent about this coach. We are really getting weary of one thing after another. He is not even interested in talking about going anywhere. He just says, "What next is going to happen?"

Beverly and Buddy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2007, 06:33 PM   #30

I have a 2002 36MDDS and I think somewhere in another post I said it has been trouble free since new and it really has except one time I was towed but had nothing to do with the coach or WRV. I never had to go to WRV for any warranty item. I have called them maybe three times for minor problems after purchase which I corrected myself after a detailed fix was explained to me. I had rather fix the minor things myself instead of driving to the dealer. Either someone spoke to me at the time of the call or I got a call back the same day. I have only owned three motorhomes but I will say I truly love driving this coach. In Aug. we did a trip to Barber Motorsport Park near Bermingham from Ca. and not a single problem. Since then several 500 mile trips. I don't even think of a problem when we get in it to go on another trip.
Like I said I have had limited experience with WRV but what I have had was very positive.
I can't believe how they get ripped up here on some of these post. If I did not know better I would run like a rabbit when I saw an Alpine Coach but I do know better and think it is a fine coach or at least mine is.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:41 PM   #31

Bev and Buddy,
I'm sure it will get better. Hang in there. It's too bad WRV can't manufacturer all the components on the coach as it would then be like their chasis and be the best in the industry. However ref. generators, hydraulics, etc. are the same through out so maybe we should all start calling, and emailing and overload them with our thoughts of how maybe they should be focused on making a better product,and also do better at warranty too. Just a thought but they would be hearing from more than Alpine owners. Anyhow take care. Ron
Old 10-29-2007, 05:54 PM   #32

Thanks Ron. Yes, components are a problem--even many techs say they aren't as good as they used to be. We will, surely, get our coach sorted out. As every body says, the ride and drive are wonderful. It does seem like an endless, week after week, waiting for parts, then waiting for them to be installed, etc. We have a beautiful coach and truly are looking forward to a trouble free trip some day. Though we haven't had many serious problems, at the moment, the little things have added up.

By the way, I really like PA, so am sure we'll be up your way some day. Thanks for coming on board. This forum has a great bunch of people who have sure helped us a lot. Think we would have gotten discouraged enough to jump ship if not for them (and then we'd probably be sorry).

Beverly and Buddy
Old 10-30-2007, 04:58 AM   #33

Have you ever owned a boat? With problems ? a motorcach is a pleasure. We have had our share of problems and when we purchased our coach (new)and were prepared to work through them. Our purchase decission was based on quality and ride then service. We will know what we will have when finished. Further a lot of problems are as earlier stated are not WRV's but the manufacturer's such as Xantrex etc and sometime resolving the problem requires going to the manufacturer. WRV's service maybe better than some and worse than others. I have talked to alot of very unhappy Monaco owners. We are still working through issues and as long as they work with us we will be loyal to WRV.
So good luck you may purchase a bigger problem than you have now.

Jim and Kathy
06 Alpine Apex
Old 10-30-2007, 05:50 AM   #34

An excellent thought. We have owned boats for many years. All with twin engines. Compared to that, owning a Coach is downright economical.

And, not surprisingly, you don't encounter as many fools/idiots when you own a Coach.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:06 AM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
I have been reading this particular item with great interest and feel that I must post a WRV success story.

I can certainly relate to Buddy and Beverly's problems as we experienced an engine/transmission/pac brake/cruise control problem on our 2000 Alpine Limited for five and one-half years! At times we were ready to give it all up as each trip seemed to be documented by the nice folks met in the repair shops along the way. It took us three tries to get to our first ACA Rally. For those of you in the GearHead Sessions, I was the woman who got up numerous times and talked about engines, transmissions, pac brakes, cruise controls, etc. I had to learn more about the chassis and running gear in our Alpine than I ever wanted to and most likely bored the men with my explanations of our problems.

WRV, Cummins, and Allison remained with us every step of the way. I don't know of any other manufacturer(s) who would have spent the time and money to support us in our quest (obsession) to find the problem. Brian Resecker and Gary Adams (Allison), Mike Young (Cummins), Mike Glazier, Max Zackula, and Mark Harrah (WRV) stuck with us until a very sharp RV Technician, Bud Powell, of Cummins Coach Care in Elkhart, IN finally had enough diagnostic info to find the problem. Martin Perlot from SilverLeaf was also instrumental in analyzing files from SilverLeaf running on our computer to help locate the problem. In addition, I videotaped the SilverLeaf diagnostics as we traveled for those involved to see.

Cummins Coach Care found that the intermittent problem was caused by a faulty wire connection in the engine side of the plug containing all of the pin connectors (the main data link). The wire had not been crimped properly when inserted and at times it made connection and at times it did not and it was a critical component (speed sensor circuit). The SilverLeaf captured the erratic behavior. Anyway, my point is that WRV, Cummins, and Allison and SilverLeaf never gave up and neither did we because we knew we wouldn't be happy driving anything but an Alpine!

Our recent trip to Albuquerque (3,000 miles) was the first one that we made without the intermittent problem. It was a real joy to be able to use the cruise control, get better fuel mileage, and have consistent power. Now my husband says that his worry is keeping everything nailed down on top as I was driving when an A/C cover blew off and a solar panel became loose. Mumbling something about my speed. I say it was the wind.

Whether it was WRV's problem or not, we don't know but what we do know is that they don't care who created the problem, they stick with their customers. Hard to find that in this day and age.

Hang in there. Your Alpines are worth it and you deserve to drive the best!
Marca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:31 PM   #36

Beverly, You have certainly found a friend. Two gals that know more than all of us and enjoy every moment of it as you are thorough and precise. Something your men counterparts are not. That is not to include all because some of the men are extremely proficient and we need them as we need all of you. I congratulate all you gals that are wiling to tolerate us that know absolutely everything. I think the men in the crowd need to sit up,to attention. Thank you for your input as with the Alpine as all others we need your help.
Ted Ulmer
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #37

Chuck and Marca
Thank you for your input...I agree with you on the fact your coaches are worth it and I understand how frustrating problems are. My hat is off to you and I'm glad to hear how helpful all involved were for you! I know that in gathering info for the Alpine library I am recieving the same helpfulness. And to all who read this WRV and Alpine Coach is for sure worth it and is THE COACH setting the standards and you owners are also indeed great people with high standards for quality. HAPPY RV-ing!!! Ron
Old 10-31-2007, 05:40 PM   #38

Thanks to ALL for your input and encouraging words. Chuck and Marca, hats off to you two for hanging in there and for taking the time to write your success story.

Bev and Bud
Old 11-02-2007, 10:45 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck & Marca:
I have been reading this particular item with great interest and feel that I must post a WRV success story.

I can certainly relate to Buddy and Beverly's problems as we experienced an engine/transmission/pac brake/cruise control problem on our 2000 Alpine Limited for five and one-half years! At times we were ready to give it all up as each trip seemed to be documented by the nice folks met in the repair shops along the way. It took us three tries to get to our first ACA Rally. For those of you in the GearHead Sessions, I was the woman who got up numerous times and talked about engines, transmissions, pac brakes, cruise controls, etc. I had to learn more about the chassis and running gear in our Alpine than I ever wanted to and most likely bored the men with my explanations of our problems.

WRV, Cummins, and Allison remained with us every step of the way. I don't know of any other manufacturer(s) who would have spent the time and money to support us in our quest (obsession) to find the problem. Brian Resecker and Gary Adams (Allison), Mike Young (Cummins), Mike Glazier, Max Zackula, and Mark Harrah (WRV) stuck with us until a very sharp RV Technician, Bud Powell, of Cummins Coach Care in Elkhart, IN finally had enough diagnostic info to find the problem.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Chuck & Marca,

I'm a lurker here (very interested in Alpines) but, after seeing this post, just had to comment. We had work done on our coach (a 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire) at Coach Care in Elkhart, IN... and it was Bud Powell who found a very important problem on our engine. He is an EXCELLENT technician, really thorough and really knows his stuff. One of those rare technicians who really seems to take pride in doing his job well. Glad to hear that he was able to be instrumental in solving your long-time problem!

For anyone else on this forum... if you're in the area and need service work done, go to Coach Care and see if Bud can work on your coach. He's excellent!

- John
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 43' / Spartan tag chassis / Cummins ISL 400
'03 Honda CR-V EX manual toad
Old 11-03-2007, 08:21 AM   #40

Alpine Owners Club
We also were very pleased with Bud's work at the Elkhart Coach Care. He stuck with the diagnostic work even when Cummins said is was on the wrong track and, sure enough, he eventually found the problem and wrote it up for other Cummins techs. And he always took time to explain and show my DH exactly what he had found and what the fix would be.

Highly recommend the facility. We have mentioned that we have been to Elkhart when going to other Coach Care facilities - just to let them know we will be measuring them against the very best.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:07 AM   #41

I too have been a lurker here for a while. We have finally decided to get off the dime and are having a serious conversation going on with Randy Wellette at Guaranty in Junction City. A friend referred us to Randy as a very knowledgeable and honest salesman, and I must tell you we feel very comfortable with him. We are making really good progress in putting together a deal with him on a 2004 40 footer with triple slides.

I've been reading a lot about this great salesman out East (Ron in PA), and thought I'd let you know that I think there is a great salesman out West, too.

By the way, we also LOVE the way this unit drives!!
Old 11-04-2007, 01:30 PM   #42

Another good salesman on the west coast is "Saint", John Saint Sauver at Guaranty in Junction City.

He did a good job working with us.

Plus Noel (Bischon Frise)
Joel & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote