Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2005, 09:24 AM   #1

I have been thinking about upgrading to a DP for a while now. Have looked at 34 to 36 footers and recently did a test drive in an Alpine 36 MDDS. Very nice driver. Subsequently, when talking to a dealer in So. Cal about test driving a Beaver Monterey, I mentioned that I had driven the Alpine. The dealer responded that there is currently a lot of trouble at Western RV and that the company quality and support have gone way down (this same dealer also sells the Alpine). A search on RV net and IRV2 didn't show any recent comments about Western RV's problems.

Is this guy just blowing smoke? Any comments from the group? Thanks!

sdcyclist
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2005, 09:24 AM   #2

I have been thinking about upgrading to a DP for a while now. Have looked at 34 to 36 footers and recently did a test drive in an Alpine 36 MDDS. Very nice driver. Subsequently, when talking to a dealer in So. Cal about test driving a Beaver Monterey, I mentioned that I had driven the Alpine. The dealer responded that there is currently a lot of trouble at Western RV and that the company quality and support have gone way down (this same dealer also sells the Alpine). A search on RV net and IRV2 didn't show any recent comments about Western RV's problems.

Is this guy just blowing smoke? Any comments from the group? Thanks!

sdcyclist
Old 08-09-2005, 11:31 AM   #3

Did he have a nice selection of Alpines? Or was he trying to sell something else he had in stock? One thing I've found about dealing with dealers- you don't have to lose much sleep over whether they strain to tell the truth.

W/that said, there have been changes @ the factory recently, but recent deliveries and service on those recently purchased coaches as reported here seem to be good to excellent. I'll be posting my experiences next week when we pick up our coach, so stay tuned. Also, if you read back thru the last 6 months or so of threads here, you'll get a good idea of how WRV operates.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:05 PM   #4

I've been in regular & recent contact with the factory for my pick-up on 8/18/05.

Alpine, like most coach makers faced with surplus coaches and production "throttle-backs", has recently trimmed labor expenses, but --in my experience-- they have sustained good support. They are very busy though.

I suspect I visited the same dealer in SoCal and I walked away with the impression there were more factory incentives for the dealer on other non-Alpine brands, at least for remaining 05 inventory.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:21 PM   #5

EngineerMike,

The dealer had one 36 footer and two 40 footers, all were 06 models. Given that information, I think Jim&MaryJo are probably right on.

sdcyclist
Old 08-09-2005, 06:31 PM   #6

I purchased a 2005 34' Alpine FDDS. Had some major rear differential problems which was not Alpine's issue other than the built the coach. The stood directly behind it and got everything taken care of. I am certain the expense was quite substantial. I am having other warranty work done at the dealer and nothing has been questioned and nothing has been refused. I am sorry we had problems but WRV stood right behind all of the problems and took care of them. As far as I am concerned they have been terrific.

Ted
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 08:06 PM   #7

despite all the troubles i had with my Alpine, one thing I can truly say is that they have stood behind their products. I now can say I am enjoying the rig and adding stuff to it. It still isn't perfect though.

David
rockcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:02 AM   #8

Thank you all for the scoop. I plan to drive up to Irvine this Saturday to see the '06 Alpines and the Beaver Monterey.

sdcyclist
Old 08-10-2005, 12:31 PM   #9

We have had several real problems, WRV stood behind everyone of them. Parts have been overnighted where ever we were. Also, nothing was ever turned down from WRV for warranty repair.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:31 AM   #10

Jim,
Do I take it right that you'll be @ the factory on 8/18? If yes, we'll likely be set up in the service facility's mini-park doing our preliminary shakedown. Stop by & say Hi. We'll be the new 36 FDTS w/the '05 green paint job. I hope they have WiFi. Mike
Old 08-11-2005, 12:08 PM   #11

Hi Mike,

Yup, currently scheduled for pick-up on 8/18.

Was delayed a week when they caught a problem with the slide-out awnings (it's an new 04 model) and ordered the fabric.

Looks good so far (hope so, got hit with a $200 re-book fee on the flights last time).

Hadn't figured on staying more than a day thru shake-down (got my fingers crossed).

I'll look for you when we get there.

Jim
Old 10-22-2007, 12:23 PM   #12

In case you are still wondering about the dealer in So Cal - I an told they have just ordered several brand new Alpine Motor Coaches and I would suspect their story will be much more pro-Alpine when you return.
mrmotorhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:04 PM   #13

ok first let me say that WRV is definetly moving forward not backwards, we did our dudiligence before we brought them on at our dealership as we also sell Foretravel and Country Coach. This is by far my favorite coach and let me re assure you that WRV has been OUTSTANDING to work with and they are even getting better! They truely do care about their customers. Adding even more Dealers in the future.
As far as Dealers / Sales people go for the most part you are right. Sad to say but its true. I assure you I am not that way as I have been a RE/MAX Realtor for almost 10 years. I tell it like it is,and if I don't know I'll get you the answer. I also know there are other good RV Sales people out there you just have to find them. Don't buy from someone you don't trust. Or who has their own agenda. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me for an honest answer from a small town sales consultant. HAPPY RV-ing!!!! Ron
RVRONINPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:46 AM   #14

I will agree with Ron I also have been doing alot of research as I intend to buy one of these great machines. I have talked to the factory, I have been to several Alpine Dealers and prior to that many Country Coach Dealers and let me tell you it pays to find the right dealer/sales person and Ron at Keystone is for sure one of them. Don't let a negative salesman change your mind on an Alpine.
LOVE2DRIVE is offline   Reply With Quote