Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is it actually worth the Approx $700 to install one of those reels or is it just another fun toy to have? It usually takes me less than a miunte to stow my 50 amp cable and that includes wiping off the accumulated crud after it sits out in the rain. Seems to me that money could be better spent on things like good beer! Just my opinion.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
The Glendinning power cord was an option on your year coach so you don't have the 50A receptacle in the service bay as I do. A pass-thru tray wouldn't work for you unless you reverted to the standard configuration. There is a picture of this in the brochure on the ACA website.

I can imagine how it is...however I didn't find the 1998 brochure to look at. Seems that is one of the years we don't have.

I probably wouldn't deal with this if the bins were higher off the ground..and not under the slide/door.

I always thought it was just an expensive gimmic till I got a Alpine...BUT I've found out it's almost a necessity with one of these...or a slide out bin or something.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #31

I meant the 2001 brochure which shows the 50A connector which you would have had if the optional power cord had not been installed.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
I meant the 2001 brochure which shows the 50A connector which you would have had if the optional power cord had not been installed.

OK... I see what you mean. It's in the sanitation bay...instead of being hardwired in the bay where your slide out bin is. Hmmm.....

That is a "big" improvement over what they did to mine when they scavenged the reel...I need to install a plug in the sanitation bay where I can stand up to deal with the cord ..unless I want to shell out the bucks for a reel.

If I installed a slide out bin...all I woulld have to do is pick up the cord off the extended bin, step over to the sanitation bay , plug in and walk over to the shore line recepticle and plug in there.

It would be just as easy to recoil the cord on the extended bin slide too...

Heck of a lot easier than trying to coil that heavy %$# up under the slide where it's hardwired in, while on your knees with one hand...!

No we're gettin' somewhere....and maybe without breaking into Mama's Christmas fund..
Old 05-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #33

Alpine Owners Club
All - Keep in mind every time, that is every time, you have a connection (wire break) for a wire (think incoming cable or terminal block, or plug, or splice – if said splice is done properly it’s not a break) you have raised it's resistance and caused it to get just a little warmer than it would if there were not any breaks in it. A connection is considered a mechanical break. My recommendation, in fact, NFPA and NEC (National Fire Protection Association & National Electrical Code) requires that cable to be physically hardwired into a NEC approved sealed box. So, I am thinking if you choose to not install the cable reel which was removed out of your coach, and it's currently hard wired into the RV, you should leave well enough alone. This is especially true if you are not a qualified electrician, and are not well versed in RV electrical systems. You are inviting a possible fire, and/or injury and death to you and loved ones.

Now, with that said, all of us have seen RV’s which have a physical 50A female twist lock connector on the side or inside a bay. As an added feature/safety device, those types have a screw down ring which holds that power cord in that receptacle. This is an approved and legal, connection because it won’t come out of its own violation, (that is unless is forgotten and torn off by driving away without removing it first) it physically need to be disconnected. Large Boats, i.e., cabin cruiser types have used that “approved” electrical connector for years. I know WRV used it on their larger 5th wheels which had 50A service. Alpine coaches might have also used that type of connector in the early years, and I am not sure when they went to the cable reel device (my guess option for first year or so).

Now, WRV is famous for drilling out holes, laying down wires, and those same holes/wires/devices never being installed. As stated in the previous post, it might not have been installed, so, unless you have a definite footprint of where that cable reel would have been, and or control wires for the switch, a terminal block with wires to one side and not the anything coming off the other side, items like that, it might have been planned but never installed. If for sure the RV had that device, and it's not now presently installed then either the previous owner pulled it out, which should have "raised some eyebrows", and or the dealer you purchased it from pulled it out, in either case they should have replaced it. I would contact the dealer who sold you this RV and ask specifically what happened to that unit if the physical evidence shows it was installed at some point. If he says he pulled it out and did not replace it, you should negotiate its replacement.

Now, the previous owner could have removed it, because it failed, and did not replace it, but when he took it in to trade, the dealer should have noted that down, and brought that unit back up to OEM state. But we all live in the real world, and what should be, is never done. Sorry, but now it’s up to you to do it, and from a safety standpoint, provided that existing cable is hardwired into an approved box, and meets NEC code for RV’s I would leave it alone or put in the reel. I would not change to another type of connector, even is said connector is NEC approved in and of itself. If I seen hard and unresponsive to your dilemma, that is not my intent, my intent is SAFETY, and to prevent injury or death of anyone working in/on electrical devices who are not trained or not familiar with electricity, as it does kill or injure thousands in this country each year. I worked around High Voltage Electrical Systems (600 Volts and above) for 25 years, so I have some knowledge of the stuff. I’m Sorry, but 50A electrical connections will knock you for a loop, stop your heart and burn you severly, and maybe a crispy critter, be extra, extra careful on those or any electrical system. Believe it or not, 12DC under the right circumstances can kill you in fact DC is more dangerous than AC.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:52 AM   #34

Alpine Owners Club
I agree with Monty about hardwiring. I've seen too many meltdowns at the connection.

Another thought, I have seen the cord reel both aft and fore of the utility bay. You can pick the place you want it. When aft, there is no overhead slide. Mine is aft. The reel takes up way less space than when I coil up a cord by hand. I REALLY like my reel. I'd buy it again.

You might also check with John Glendinning about ordering one. I have ordered replacement parts (one at no charge) and a new hose (very high quality), directly from them.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:01 AM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
Now, a new hose, I did not think to look and see who made that one, but it makes sense. I believe to change the hose however, I would have to take apart that whole compartment to get at it. Oh I dont want to think about that.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #36

Thanks for that Monty...and you are exactly right . Those not qualified and familar with electricity should have an electrician look this over. That is not the case here...I have done a lot of it. I totally agree that any plug connection is a potential failure point....sealed twist plugs are by far the best way to do something like this. Heat melts simple plugs and can indeed be a very dangerous situation.... As you said, in the final analysis nothing beats a hardwired connection.....but alternates can be done safely.

Now then...not being familar with the Alpine is what caused me to overlook the missing Glendinning reel...and it's footprint was hidden by the coiled up power cord. Not until I actually had to use it did it become clear that something was amiss...and how awkard it is. Especially since I was very busy with "all" aspects of the coach...and it's overall condition.

So far all I have done is replace a crank shaft seal (30 minute job), an ice maker valve on the backside of the refrigerator, a pickup fuel pump, "all" fluids and filters...(which is a job in itself), a little awning adjustment, a little slide adjustment..(which turns out to be very easy), and a new 12 volt waterpump last week.

Mostly maintenance so far...knock on wood. Oh yeah.. two tires, front end alignment, and I need to find an coach A/C leak.

The reason the reel is missing ..might have somethiong to do with it's value and the previous owner(s) may have wanted it for his new(er) Motorhome. He probably wasn't getting much on the trade in so kept what he could.

I just did the something similar on my old Fleetwood...I removed the auxillary icemaker and installed it in the side bin on my Alpine. Can't live without one if you fish and catch a lot....and they are expensive if you buy a new one.

As far as the dealer making any restitution for the missing reel...I bought it wholesale ...as is.

I can't complain either...it looks like a 2 year old coach. In fact the previous owner contacted me hoping I would not like it. He wanted to buy it back..! (I had looked him up prior to that to see what issues he may have had during his ownership..so he knew who I was).

All in all we are "very lucky" to have one this nice...and a forum that is as knowledgeable and helpful as this forum is. That alone is better than factory support on many other RV's...

Once we use this thing a couple of times ...I'll have all the bugs worked out the previous owner was not able to do. He had zero mechanical skills...and got his head ripped off everytime he even had simple maintenance done. I have the receipts...some of it was down right criminal !! But he tried never the less...
Old 05-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #37

I don't want to fan the flames but the detachable power cord was standard on all Alpines until 2007 with the power reel as an option.
Reverting to the old system is not cheap as the plug and socket is over $100 and adding in the cost of a cargo tray will make the power cord look a bargain.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #38

Alpine Owners Club
Sam - Good Job!! Crank Shaft seal, wow, well mine is sitll in warranty and I had the same thing, but cummins fixed it - twice. Well, then if your sure it was there and he removed it, and an option as well, keep your money then.

And yes I know how heavy the cord is, as a friend replaced his PC from his real and gave me the old cord. I cut it in two, and made two 50A extension cords out of it, one for me and one for a friend.

Like I said, unless you can get one cheap, (wrecking yards) or see if aubreys, or NW Salvage - Northwest RV Supply?
Old 05-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #39

Country Coach Owners Club

My $20 power cord reel.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #40

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post

My $20 power cord reel.
$20 for a black plastic tub?