Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #1

What Alternator is on a 1999 Alpine?

I am on my way to Alaska and my alternator appears to be going out. It is badly coroded on the exterior and I cant find any identifying markings (such as model, amps or terminal designations). I can probably fine a substitute but, I need to know the amperage and terminal connections. I can figure out Battery and ground, but there are 2 other terninals that have a blue and a red wire running to them. One I assume is the voltage sensor terminal and the other a field terminal that perhaps goes to the ignition switch. Any information would be helpful so I can purchase a replacement and get it installed correctly.

Thanks, Dave Morgan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #2

You should have the Leece-Neville 160 amp alternator. A better alternative would be the Delco Remy 28SI. You need the J180 long hinge mount.
28SI High Output Heavy Duty Alternator |160, 180, 200 Amps | Delco Remy | Delco Remy

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:45 AM   #3

Thanks for the info John. I am finally in Fairbanks and have started to try to find a Delco 28SI. So far no luck. Looks like my best alternative is to order one over the internet and have it shipped to my next major stop in Anchorage.
Does anyone know the details of installing a 28SI to replace the existing Leece-Neville? My specific questions are 1) The 28SI appears to come with no pully, can I use the old pully or do I have to order a pully? 2) The existing alternator has 4 connections. Battery and Ground are obvious, but the other 2 are not. There are red and blue wires but I canít see any designations on the old alternator. I assume one is the (S) sense lead and the other is the (I) ignition lead, but does anyone know which is which?
I can probably figure it out during installation, but it would be nice to hear from someone who has done the installation.
Thanks, Dave Morgan
Old 06-27-2013, 03:06 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I replaced our alternator last month I removed the pulley off the old one. Then I found that the new alternator I bought was the wrong one so I had to return it and have them order the correct one. Wrong one was $135, correct one was $424!
I called Spartan and got the correct number but you don't have that luxury.
I'd look at the old one and be sure to order the same one, even the mounting could be different and cause misalignment of the belt and that's a big problem!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #5

Dave, the link will get you to their website, click on "installation instructions" or "brochure" which has a picture of the connections. The "Relay" connection is for a tachometer which you don't need. The instructions say to use the pulley from the old alternator so you may need a puller. If you check E-Bay there are a lot of SOB versions of this alternator. If you stay with 160 amp output the model number is 8600308.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #6

John, thanks for the Delco Model number, that gives me a lot of confidence that I will be getting an alternator that will work. I ordered it yesterday on-line and it should be waiting for me in Anchorage when I arrive on 7/2. Cost with shipping was about the same as local dealers in Anchorage quoted me, but I would have to go find them. I will look for a cheep puller or will take it to a shop to have the pully transferred to the new alternator.

Thanks again, Dave Morgan
Old 07-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Dave View Post
I am on my way to Alaska and my alternator appears to be going out. It is badly coroded on the exterior and I cant find any identifying markings (such as model, amps or terminal designations). I can probably fine a substitute but, I need to know the amperage and terminal connections. I can figure out Battery and ground, but there are 2 other terninals that have a blue and a red wire running to them. One I assume is the voltage sensor terminal and the other a field terminal that perhaps goes to the ignition switch. Any information would be helpful so I can purchase a replacement and get it installed correctly.

Thanks, Dave Morgan

Hi Dave, You had responded to my questions several times. We also had a 99 Alpine, but sold it in May. I am a retirered cross country trucker. I drove the same truck 24 years and 3.1 million miles. With all due respect to John Knight ( he has also been a big help). I have used several Leece Neville, Delco & Motorola alternators over the period of years. I could never tell much difference in the quality of any of them, usually got over 800,000 miles on some. From my experience; I have walked into truck shops that are dealers for many brands of trucks, never told them what I was installing the alternator on. They never come with a pully. At a truck shop you should be able to buy a 160 amp for under $150. Yes I know you have a motor home not a truck, but there should be no difference in the alternator. There should be no difference in the mounting on any brand of alternatior. One thing about trucks, they are much more universal fit. Hope you can solve your poblem. old trucker
Old 07-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Trucker View Post
Hi Dave, You had responded to my questions several times. We also had a 99 Alpine, but sold it in May. I am a retirered cross country trucker. I drove the same truck 24 years and 3.1 million miles. With all due respect to John Knight ( he has also been a big help). I have used several Leece Neville, Delco & Motorola alternators over the period of years. I could never tell much difference in the quality of any of them, usually got over 800,000 miles on some. From my experience; I have walked into truck shops that are dealers for many brands of trucks, never told them what I was installing the alternator on. They never come with a pully. At a truck shop you should be able to buy a 160 amp for under $150. Yes I know you have a motor home not a truck, but there should be no difference in the alternator. There should be no difference in the mounting on any brand of alternatior. One thing about trucks, they are much more universal fit. Hope you can solve your poblem. old trucker
Great tid-bit to know. Thanks.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #9

Old Trucker, the reason I provided the link to the Delco alternator was that it had all the dimensions and wiring information that Dave was unsure off. There is a difference in the dimensions of the standard Delco mount and the Leece Neville mount and he did not want to remove his alternator and match it at a dealer but wanted to order one and have it waiting for him in Alaska. I also pointed out that there are lots of other brands of the same alternator so he did not have to order a genuine Delco. If you do a search on 8600308 you will get lots of hits on eBay and other sites with prices close to what you mentioned. Some Apex owners found that 160 amps wasn't enough and upgraded to the 200 amp version, but for us mere mortals I think 160 is probably OK.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Looking to sell our 1999 coach. Know of Anyone?? I 'm in southern ca. Due to illness have to sell. Only 62,500 miles on coach. Good price. Excellent condition.

Tags
alternator