Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2015, 08:10 PM   #1

What does the DASHBOARD really look like?

I looked at a 2005 40QS this past week; the first actual look-see of an Alpine. The coach had been modified, I think, and what was dis-concerting was how little information was available from gauges.

Could somebody be kind enough to take photos of your dashboard, the RH electronics panel that's above the passenger seat, and the panel on the RH corner above the steps? I'd like to see what they look like before altering.

Is there anything that shows how much air pressure? Oil pressure? Engine Temp?

Thanks

If we can't PM photos, my email addy is: rspickering@gulftel.com
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2015, 09:59 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
If you go to the Alpine tech library there are years pericarp brochures so you can see what is there, no there are no gauges like what you are looking for. The manufacturer of the Silverleaf system makes the VMSpc which will give you what you are looking for, search the threads for more information.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:23 AM   #3

I must be cursor challenged, Dr, because clicking on tech library gets me nothing. I did a search for Tech Library and got the same result.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:29 AM   #4

OK, I stumbled across the brochure link (post #99 in tech library sticky).

Is there a Search function in this forum that allows us to jump to a particular subject instead of surfing every page?

Once I get an idea about the dashboard look, I'll be wanting to know about Silverleaf. Given that the selling dealer knew nothing about the coach or its systems, I left with more concerns than answers.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:46 AM   #5

Well, the Owners' Manual for 2005 shows that there are ample gauges on the dashboard. Looks like this coach had some changes made. These models do, in fact, show air pressure and temps, so that's comforting.

Too bad they were missing on the coach I looked at, because the seller tried to air up the system for 20 minutes in order to try to get the jacks to work; to no avail. Not having gauges to note changes was futility defined.

I left. Thanks for pointing me to the answer pages.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:58 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
What does the DASHBOARD really look like?

The first post (#1, 4/2008) from EngineerMike has the link posted "ALPINE COACH & TECH INFORMATION" in the first line, there are several other posts throughout the 99 that also have the link. There is no air pressure gauge on the dash, air is only used for the suspension. There are oil and water temperature gauges as well as oil pressure as well as fuel level, tach and speed. The VMSpc is easy to hook up, there are several threads about that, in fact I remember 1 about a month ago.

I cannot tell what browser you are using, but from my iPad, the first line above the sticky's is SEARCH that will allow you to enter your search parameters.

You will find that the Alpines are one of the best driving coaches at any price and this forum one of the most supportive on IRV2, just be careful, WRV did things a bit different from other manufacturers, so the posts from Some Other Brand (SOB) owners can lead you astray.

Taking 20 minutes to not develop air pressure in the suspension system is indicative of a problem, however those are usually fairly simple to resolve, there might be a broken line or air bag if the pump is working at all.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:52 AM   #7

Rick - Something is definitely wrong if it takes so long to air up. Mine takes about 3 or 4 minutes. If you are still interested in it I would try to determine if there is an air leak and make sure it is fixed before buying. If there doesn't seem to be an air leak, it must be a bad air compressor.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
Rick - Something is definitely wrong if it takes so long to air up. Mine takes about 3 or 4 minutes. If you are still interested in it I would try to determine if there is an air leak and make sure it is fixed before buying. If there doesn't seem to be an air leak, it must be a bad air compressor.
Thanks, Steve. Agreed about the time to air up; mine might take a minute or two, max. That the coach was offered to me at $25,000 Less than Low NADA retail, I expected to find some issues. Fixing things is a fun thing from me, so most of what I saw could be replaced/repaired or adjusted.
What caused me to pass was the overall "take it as is, or leave", attitude from the GM. He didn't want anybody on his side to spend time on the coach, and didn't like anybody on a buyers side to fiddle with things. Not even an oil/coolant/tranny fluid sample set was allowed.

We all know that when there are a whole bunch of things wrong with a coach, that chances of the drivetrain having been serviced are slim. The dashboard, lack of an inverter, can't get jacks or air to work, were icing on the cake, so I walked.

The good news is that I've found the Tech Section and can be a lot more aware for the next time.

Tags
dash, dashboard