Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
Smile What is switch and light for? Also PolyGlow

We have a 2008 Alpine 40' MDTS low roof motor home and I have a switch just inside the entrance door (one of four in the switch panel) that I can not figure out what it is used for. To the best of my ability to trouble shoot it doesn't actually do anything other than turn on a little red light embedded in the curbside overhead cabinet trim on the end of the cabinet that you see from the entrance door as you walk into the coach. I thought perhaps it was either a bypass switch for the step or a cable TV antenna booster, but it doesn't effect either of these in any way or position (on or off). If anyone has this type coach that might shed some light on what it should do I would sure appreciate knowing. Also, I am considering a product called PoliGlow as a wax for the coach which is not really a wax, but rather a sort of clear coat type liquid and wondered if anyone had used this product and what the results were.
Thanks in advance for the input from the experts out there on Alpines.

Marvin & Donna C. with Lila (our dog & Third Musketeer) 08 40' MDTS Low Roof, 400 ISL, Towing 2016 Yukon XL Denali
Just Cruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
Alpine Owners Club
JC - that little red light in my coach turns on the outside smartbed switches, so the outside wall mounted switches operate those same smartbeds. Additionally, it also provides power to the lights in each smartbed so when it opens the light is on. Leave it off unless you are going to operate the smartbed using those switches, as I believe the lights stay one all the time. If that is the case, they get hot, the light fixture housings will melt and a fire could start. If you need access then turn them one with that switch, and once finished then turn it off. Hope this helps.

All this assums that you have smartbeds, which is outlined in the manual (assumed you have one) of the coach. If you don't I could take my SE manual up and have it copied and send it to you, if you would pay for that and the postage.

Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Originally Posted by Old Rv'er View Post
If that is the case, they get hot, the light fixture housings will melt and a fire could start.
If the lights get that hot, I would put LED's in them. Not worth forgetting them and causing a fire. You can get LED's that are just as bright and don't throw much heat, just in case you forget and leave them on. And much less amp draw on the batteries when dry camping too. They just aren't cheap. But good LED's are very nice. I just put them in my 12v fluorescent fixtures. Much nicer light.
Jim A
'04 Alpine Coach 36' MDDS
Jim A is offline   Reply With Quote