Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2009, 04:26 PM   #1

What is the CORRECT Hydraulic fluid?

OK, I have read all the threads about changing the power steering, engine fan and brake assist oil in the engine compartment hydraulic system reservoir to Rykon or Hondo HDZ as it is now known. I have looked at the cost of the new fluid, the oil replacement procedure and read the comments about the minor improvement that resulted and have decided to change the filters, drain the reservoir and refill - but with WHAT ? ? ?

My 2006 owner's manual says Valvoline power steering fluid, but somewhere along the way since I bought the coach in October 2005 I have crossed out the Valvoline power steering fluid and written in 15W40 oil.

The 4-5 gallons I drained out of the reservoir does not look or smell like power steering fliud but them I'm not entirely sure it's 15W40 oil either! !

It is a translucent, slightly brown oil that certainly LOOKS, FEELS and SMELLS more like motor oil than PS fluid.

And to make matters worse someone told me they may have used ATF. I have lots of ATF but it is a reddish color.

Now that I am suitably worried about the compatibility issue I'm not sure what to add.

Harold
NorCal Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #2

I should have tacked this on to the ongoing Rykon brake discussion instead of starting a new thread...If anyone knows how to move it - feel free,

Harold
Old 05-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #3

It could be any of those. ATF (typically Dexron III), some grade of motor oil (yes really), or a hydraulic fluid like AW46 or such. Do what your manual says. Use the filter it says too. KISS. Look over this entire thread, as it doea go into some discussion like you are asking about. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/hydr...ers-51943.html
Old 05-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDude View Post
It could be any of those. ATF (typically Dexron III), some grade of motor oil (yes really), or a hydraulic fluid like AW46 or such. Do what your manual says. Use the filter it says too. KISS. Look over this entire thread, as it doea go into some discussion like you are asking about. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/hydr...ers-51943.html

Thanks RVDude. I read the thread - interesting, however to avoid mixing non compatible fluids I still need to know what the current fluid is. If I pour 5 gallons of Valvoline Power Steering Fluid into the system with who knows how many gallons of 15W40 oil or whatever's in there I have have some problems.

Harold
Old 05-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #5

Sure, use what your manual says - to be sure do it twice to flush it. Change it run it for a while and then change it again for a good flushing. You can do even better with a $5 fluid hand pump and pump out the existing lines, pump in some new stuff till it runs clean, top it off, and run for a drive around the block and then do it all again.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:02 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Harold,

I'm almost positive that you do have 10/40 motor oil in your system just as mine had. The exterior of the canister even had a tag on it saying 10/40 motor oil.

When I changed to the Rykon I follow the directions that WRV suggested (I know you have a copy). I've been running the Rycon for a year now with no compatibility issues with what little residue of 10/40 was left in the system.

Follow the written procedures, fill it up and forget it.
jerry davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #7

If you have no issues w/hard braking, the 15W40 Valvoline should go excellent.

If you want easier braking, change to the Rykon Premium equivalent. IIWM, I wouldn't sweat mixing issues beyond the WRV proceedure. Oils have a high affinity for each other & should mix well without problems.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I meant to say 15/40 in the above message.........getting old and forgetful.
jerry davis is online now   Reply With Quote