Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:35 AM   #1

ALthough my 04 proudct literature claims my coach is equipped with an echo charger, it does not have one.

I too experienced dead chassis batteries, but was sent a new solenoid, which appears to have fixed the problem.

The Xantrex echo charger is advertised as specifically designed to supplement a Xantrex Freedom inverter system, diverting charging power from coach batteries to chassis batteries. I've seen or heard a few different explanations about how this is done; (e.g. simultaneously using excess current or upon diverting upon sensing fully charged batteries)

I can see that the solenoid can perform that function, if it detects chassis batteries are full, switching source power (shore, genset, & solar). I'm really not sure it works, since I recall at least once leaving the DHS (04 & prior radio/tv sound system) system on prior to dead chassis batteries.

I'm also questioning whether my solar system ever gets the chassis batteries to float, so any switch can be effected. My solar controller never indicates a float condition.

Anyone know the answer or can offer a test procedure?

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2006, 06:35 AM   #2

ALthough my 04 proudct literature claims my coach is equipped with an echo charger, it does not have one.

I too experienced dead chassis batteries, but was sent a new solenoid, which appears to have fixed the problem.

The Xantrex echo charger is advertised as specifically designed to supplement a Xantrex Freedom inverter system, diverting charging power from coach batteries to chassis batteries. I've seen or heard a few different explanations about how this is done; (e.g. simultaneously using excess current or upon diverting upon sensing fully charged batteries)

I can see that the solenoid can perform that function, if it detects chassis batteries are full, switching source power (shore, genset, & solar). I'm really not sure it works, since I recall at least once leaving the DHS (04 & prior radio/tv sound system) system on prior to dead chassis batteries.

I'm also questioning whether my solar system ever gets the chassis batteries to float, so any switch can be effected. My solar controller never indicates a float condition.

Anyone know the answer or can offer a test procedure?

Thanks

Old 09-04-2006, 03:02 PM   #3

Think I may have the answer thanks to a tip-off by Wayne on the "electrical problems" thread.

Looked up info on the Vansco systems. DId not realize that they were "general" purpose multiplexers with programmable logic controllers ("PLCs).

These devices enable monitoring of multiple inputs (e.g. battery voltage levels) and definition of set points or other control sequences. I used to program ladder diagrams with similar equipment.

My guess is that after WRV applied the Vansco, different functions (like the Echo charger) were shifted to the Vansco, probably not all at once, but perhaps through iterations.

This would also explain repair shop reluctance I've encountered, since it's hard to keep up with technical documentation with so much "systems evolution".

Thanx
Old 09-05-2006, 02:38 PM   #4

Our Alpine, 2004 40FDTS had the problem: the engine start batteries would discharge while plugged into shore power. Inadvertantly, I found that by operating the battery boost switch "after" plugging into shore power, the engine start batteries would get charged and stay charged.
While trouble shooting the problem, I found that the "Battery Interconnedt Switch" had replaced the Echo Charger, the Big Boy Battery Boost Switch and the battery isolater we had on our 2000 40FDS.
On our coach (2004) the problem was a missing wire on pin "D" of the Battery Interconnect Switch. Adding a ground to pin "D" corrected our problem, our engine start batteries have remained charged for the last six months with no further problems!!