Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #1

Wheel cracks. Umm... is that bad?

During the polishing of my wheels today, my brother discovered a few cracks in my wheels. One wheel has two identical cracks. They extend from the bolt holes to the hub. I'm hoping this isn't as bad as it sounds...

GT

GTHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2009, 09:10 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, it is as bad as you think. Those cracks would take a commercial truck out of service for a safety violation. They should be replaced.

US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #3

Ok, of course not what I was wanting to hear. There is no acceptable crack specs? I used to work on jets and when a crack was discovered there were specs as to whether it was ok or not.

I know it's prudent to replace them, but I don't want to over-react with $1,000 bill.

GT
Old 11-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #4

Call the wheel manufacturer and ask them. That's really your only accurate source for an answer. Anything else will be only speculation. Remember, you are the one driving on those cracks.

It could be that the cracks are within specs or maybe you have a known bad lot and might even be part of a recall or maybe the lugs were over-torqued.

After determining the crack seriousness, I'd try to ascertain why they cracked so as not to repeat the (potential) damage.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDude View Post
Call the wheel manufacturer and ask them. That's really your only accurate source for an answer. Anything else will be only speculation. Remember, you are the one driving on those cracks.

It could be that the cracks are within specs or maybe you have a known bad lot and might even be part of a recall or maybe the lugs were over-torqued.

After determining the crack seriousness, I'd try to ascertain why they cracked so as not to repeat the (potential) damage.
That is very good advice. I'll call the manufacturer and report back. Thanks!

GT
Old 11-28-2009, 07:59 AM   #6

Wheels at some point were probably installed w/an air impact tool w/no respect for the torque spec, and the lug nuts driven till they refused to budge. Very common to remove lug nuts w/an impact tool, but not proper to more than snug them down w/the tool only. Lug nuts should always be tightened to final spec by hand w/a torque wrench.

Google RV salvage and call till you find a "new" wheel.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #7

GTHill,

Check out this link for an Alpine Coach that is being parted out:

2003 ALPINE WESTERN - 2003 WESTERN - 00687743E02

Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote